So, new cans are here... now... where's my amp? :)
Feb 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 16
Cheers for the comments everyone :)

I've been using them tonight gaming with the Aune (which is currently up for sale), just amping my Xbox 360's RCA cables, and it seemed to have no problem at all driving them.

Hmm... interesting. I read so many posts saying 'YOU NEED TEH MAJOR TUBE AMPAGE' that I was quite tempted to spend a lot of money on amps and whatnot, but it seems the little Aune does the job perfectly well. I'll probably still sell it (no optical input, that's the only problem I have with it) but we'll see.

The other amp I've got coming is the Audio-GD FUN which I'll probably do a quick comparison of against the Aune, using the DT990. I get the impression I'll be so happy with one / both of them I won't feel the need to upgrade (I was planning on moving up to something like the Matrix M-Stage if neither of these two could handle the 990s).

When I had my Sennheiser HD650 (actually, I've owned about 5 pairs of them in total!!), I always remember how easy it was to tell when they were inadequately amped. I'm not hearing any such problems with the DT990. 

Interesting point - guess why I had my name put on them? Simply because, as a compulsive headphone buyer / seller, I've basically tried to trap myself. Having owned a good 40 pairs of headphones over the past 3 years (normally not more than 3 pairs at a time), I've settled on what I have worked out to be my 'ideal' set of cans - and by having my name on, I reckon I've killed the resale value. Plus, it makes them more personal, and that'll also make me less likely to want to sell them :)

Quite tempted to get a matching pair of DT770 next, in the same 600ohm, and probably the same (or similar) colours. Will just have to wait for Beyer to hold another 15% off event :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back