So, new cans are here... now... where's my amp? :)
Feb 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Bencrest

100+ Head-Fier
I'm on the way back from a hospital appointment with mum, and dad calls me to let me know he's just signed for a parcel. I assume it's my amplifier / DAC, which would be expected as they were posted at the end of last week, whereas the Beyerdynamic DT990s I ordered claimed a 3 week delivery time from my order, at the end of January.

Long story short, I come home and I'm greeted with :

... and so I've got a lovely new pair of cans, and no AMP / DAC to use with them! I guess I could plug them straight into my computer / iPhone, but it's not the same as having a proper desktop setup :frowning2:

I have opened them and had a sneaky glimpse though, even if I haven't tried them yet - they are the 600ohm varient, ad you can probably tell by the way I've had them etched with 'DT990 600R' :)

Oh, sorry about the odd colour scheme, it works for me even if it doesn't work for you :D

WHERES MY AMP?! WHERES MY AMP!?!!!? WHERE IS IT?!! WHY DO BEYERDYNAMIC HAVE TO BE SO EFFICIENT? I WAS EXPECTING TO WAIT AT LEAST 2 WEEKS!!

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 16
beautiful pair of cans man..

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 16
This is ridiculous, they sound absolutely stunning from my netbook, without an amp. Will be nice when the amp gets here so that I can A/B between the two, but it's going to be hard to the amp to really improve on this to be honest. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 16
how do you A/B? I heard someone else telling a newbie to do that in another thread to test out their new amp/dac.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
how do you A/B? I heard someone else telling a newbie to do that in another thread to test out their new amp/dac.

Well, basically, it's just a case of comparing the headphones (straight out of my laptop) against the headphones running out of an amplifier. You should get the volume exactly right between the two, and look for any differences in the sound :)

Feb 7, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 16
oh well in that case...

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 16
Those look gorgeous! Let us know if there are any significant differences with the amp/dac. My guess is that you are going to be blown away by the improvement because of how high the impedance is. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 16
Which amp/dac are you getting? And congrats on the beautiful cans

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
So your netbook has no problem driving a 600 ohm headphone? That's a bit surprising.

The Beyer 600ohm line isn't actually that bad to drive, due to having high sensitivity. difficulty to drive is a combination of resistance and sensitivity.

Granted I have to push my amp nearly at max to drive my DT880/600s, but that's because the output voltage of my sound card is so damn low.

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 16
Custom made cans, and they also come with your name. 
Cool man...Im jealous. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back