So lots of people seem to like Floyd...
Jan 4, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #31 of 70
Get Wish You Were Here first primarily because I'm afraid DSotM might scare you away with all the psychodelic stuff... I hated parts of the album like On the Run the first time I listened to it... but now...
580smile.gif

Get Wish You Were Here first, and definitely read up on Syd Barrett and a little Bio on Pink Floyd, as I think it'll help you understand the album a lot, and made the album infinitely better for me... as if it wasn't infinitely good already
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Can't you download a song or two to demo it before you buy?
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #32 of 70
Here we go with the 'a song or two' blasphemy. I have nearly ruined some good albums by listening to songs out of context.

Psychelicness doesn't necessarily bother me, I have the CD that Aman has as his avatar and like it.

Jan 4, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #33 of 70
Best place to start is Dark Side Of The Moon.
After that try Wish You Were Here, and then go back to Meddle.
That's all the PF you need. Animals, the album after Wish You Were Here is noticably weaker. Both lyrically and musically.

And I wouldn't say they sound "Psychadelic" at all. To me that word reminds me specifically of music released in 1966 - 1969. Although DSOTM was only released a couple of years later, it still sounds fairly modern, like it could have been recorded this year. (The great thing about PF's 70s releases and "some" other Prog Rock albums is their timelessness!)

And Radiohead actually reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd, although they're very different (Radiohead being more electronica sounding and PF having more of a blues/rock based sound). Something about song structure, general sound and the way their records are mixed.

Jan 4, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #34 of 70
Pink Floyd is 100% head music. I can only listen to floyd when Im totally relaxed sitting down in a comfy chair. Its perfect for mentally wandering off and enjoying the quality of your audio system.
Pink Floyd is not good for activities...example: start running or bicycling while listening to anything from dark side of the moon . Im sure you will shortly end up laying in the grass staring at the sky and pondering the significance of clouds and air molecules...well maybe its just me.

Jan 4, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #35 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by max-9
Pink Floyd is not good for activities...example: start running or bicycling while listening to anything from dark side of the moon . Im sure you will shortly end up laying in the grass staring at the sky and pondering the significance of clouds and air molecules...well maybe its just me.

hahahahahah. That's pretty funny. Yeah, come to think of it, I've never heard Comfortably Numb playing at the gym.....

Jan 5, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #37 of 70
Pink Floyd, ah... So much to say about the Floyd...

Their music changed my life.

By the way,

[size=x-large]Finally!!![/size]

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #39 of 70
After Wish You Were Here, I think you're free to check out whatever you want. Personally, I think The Wall and Animals are a must have. Also, if you want to check out what the band sounded like before Dark Side, give Meddle a shot. It's been mentioned, but it includes the song Echoes, which is, in my opinion, a 23-minute long masterpiece
580smile.gif

The Wall also has some excellent songs, like Another Brick in the Wall (1-3), Mother, Young Lust...and who can forget...Comfortably Numb. I like every song on Animals about the same, I think it's one of their more underrated albums.

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #43 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
I've tried "Dark Side of the Moon" on CD and just can't get into it.

Speaking of classic rock bands, The Who, on the other hand, is immediately starting to grab me after just one listen to their "Who's Next" disc.

I don't get how you can not be dazzled by Dark Side, but that's what's makes horse races...

With The Who, therein lies an example of starting with the right album. Not that you could have gone wrong with Tommy, which should be your next grab. After that, check out some live stuff. If you want the pure Who sound, meaning Keith Moon still being alive and kicking, get yourself a copy of Live At Leeds. But if you want a great, great live Who album, grab a copy of "Blues To The Bush," not a very well known album because of the limited production, but a real gem! There aren't even any available used on Amazon, but here's their page for it, keep an eye out maybe one shows up used:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...music&v=glance

Edit: 2 copies of The Who Blues to the Bush on Ebay, if you're interested....

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #44 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
I've tried "Dark Side of the Moon" on CD and just can't get into it.

This is true for me as well. I also think DSotM is hugely overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back