So lots of people seem to like Floyd...
Jan 3, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #16 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel

If you watch the documentary dvd about the making of Dark Side, there's a clip of Gilmour being interviewed where he says that he wishes he could be a person who sits back to listen to DSOTM from start to finish for the first time, never having heard it before. Lucky to be you!

:

Thats absolutely classic. I remember when he said that I felt the same way.

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #18 of 70
Why not just get their greatest hits album, echoes. This way you can hear them at their best. There are some great songs missing in echoes, but my three favorite ones are on echoes ("Comfortably numb," "Hey You," and "Wish you were here"), with other songs such as "high hopes," which I also really like.

I have every Cd they ever released, and the best way to get into them, I think, is by listening to the echoes set. The Wall would be my second choice as it has their best two songs only missing my third favorite "wish you were here."

If you buy another album you may think they suck for the most part as some of their albums have a really unique sound which while I like, is very different from most rock.

Jan 3, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #19 of 70
Quote:

its just a bit mind blowing that you are at headfi and listened to some good bands and never listened to pink floyd.

Well, I'm young. I wasn't even alive till the mid 80s. I can't listen to the radio. I have never voluntarily listened to the radio, can't stand it. I also don't watch tv. I am surrounded by people that do not like music. Furthermore, I didn't get into music until recent years.

Jan 3, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #20 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
Why not just get their greatest hits album, echoes. This way you can hear them at their best. There are some great songs missing in echoes, but my three favorite ones are on echoes ("Comfortably numb," "Hey You," and "Wish you were here"), with other songs such as "high hopes," which I also really like.

I have every Cd they ever released, and the best way to get into them, I think, is by listening to the echoes set. The Wall would be my second choice as it has their best two songs only missing my third favorite "wish you were here."

If you buy another album you may think they suck for the most part as some of their albums have a really unique sound which while I like, is very different from most rock.

Not trying to start a flame here, but [size=xx-large]NO!!!!![/size]

Floyd is not a "hits" band. They're an album band. Sure, you can listen to Echoes and probably recognize every tune on there - "Hmm, I've heard that on the radio before...." But you don't really get a feeling what the band is about. DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Animals - these are works that flow from one song to the next in a way that can't be recreated on a greatest hits cd.

It's kind of like this - you can hear "Come Together" on the radio or on a hits cd and think "that's a good tune," but you can't compare that to sitting down and listening to Abbey Road from start to finish.

Trust me, if he buys Dark Side, he won't walk away thinking they suck.

I tell you what, Trains are Bad, I'll make this really easy for you. Go buy Dark Side of the Moon, and do as I say - sit back and listen to it from start to finish, uninterupted. If you finish the album and you think it sucks, I'll buy it from you. But you'll have to come back on this thread and explain to everyone here why you think it sucks, I'm not just going to reimburse you after you rip it to your hard drive
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #22 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Radiohead, Neutral Milk hotel, TMV, Portishead, Nevermore, The Postal Service, Radiohead....

Radiohead has done a cover of the song "Wish You Were Here", so maybe you have heard some Floyd, FWIW.

You cannot go wrong with either DSOTM or Wish You Were Here as your first Floyd album.

Jan 3, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #23 of 70
Why don't you just go in order from beginning to end? I always do that with bands that I am new to. Start with Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and then get A Saucerful of Secrets. I like to see the progression from album to album, and Pink Floyd really never had a bad release.

Jan 3, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #25 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Radiohead, Neutral Milk hotel, TMV, Portishead, Nevermore, The Postal Service, Radiohead....

Excellent my son...you are on the right path...
tongue.gif

I would bet my left arm on the fact that EVERY one of the bands you listed above were heavily influenced by Pink Floyd in some shape or form.

Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, no questions asked.
And NO greatest hits albums!
When you read the Godfather, did you read Chapter 5 first, then 1, then 11, etc...?
I dont think so.
PF is a Trip, a Voyage, a Story an Experience...do it right!

BTW: Based on your likes have you tried these:
Fischerspooner
Massive Attack
Hooverphonic
Porcupine Tree
Dredg

If not, then you have a lot of work to do...get to it!
icon10.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #27 of 70
I'd start with DSOTM as many people have, myself included. If you like that, get WYWH next (I did and liked it a lot), and then I finally ended up with The Wall, too, which for the most part is boring in my opinion but certainly has some great tracks like Comfortably Numb. My drive for Floyd just about ends there as I haven't pursued any of their other albums.

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #28 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
I'd start with DSOTM as many people have, myself included. If you like that, get WYWH next (I did and liked it a lot), and then I finally ended up with The Wall, too, which for the most part is boring in my opinion but certainly has some great tracks like Comfortably Numb. My drive for Floyd just about ends there as I haven't pursued any of their other albums.

You might want to check out Meddle which contains the 20+ minute masterpiece 'Echoes' & I also think the album Animals is a real under-rated gem
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #29 of 70
So, I'm just curious...have you given Dark Side of the Moon a listen yet? I'd say there is a 99.9% chance that after Brain Damage/Eclipse, you'll just start the album over, and immediately purchase Wish You Were Here...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back