So lots of people seem to like Floyd...
Jan 2, 2006 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I've never heard any Pink Floyd at all, yet I hear a lot about how awesome they are.

Well what cd should I buy first? Please forgive my total ignorance, but what kind of music is it, what do they sound like?

Jan 2, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 70
Probably Dark Side of the Moon. Its the most celebrated at least. I would also like to own some Pink Floyd ( I have heard them) but there are so many other CD's I really want.

Jan 2, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
I've never heard any Pink Floyd at all, yet I hear a lot about how awesome they are.

Well what cd should I buy first? Please forgive my total ignorance, but what kind of music is it, what do they sound like?

Pink Floyd started as a psychadelic pop band and progressed to experimentation and concept albums, which really peaked with 1973's 'Dark Side Of The Moon' - considered by many to be their definitive album and the peak of the band's career. Quite how they managed to follow up DSOTM with the equally (IMO) brilliant 'Wish You Were Here' shows just what a creative peak they were at at the time.

The music is quite psychadelic, space-rock comprising elements of experimentation and lead guitarrist David Gilmour's trademark smooth guitar sound. But there are always catchy melodies and great pop songs in amongst the experimental works.

You really can't go wrong with 'Dark Side Of The Moon' and/or 'Wish You Were Here'. If you dig these albums, then you can work backwards for more spacey/experimental albums ('Meddle') or forwards to more strange but excellent concept albums ('Animals' and 'The Wall').

As usual you can listen to songs streaming at www.progarchives.com to get an idea of the bands sound.

Jan 2, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 70
I would start a bit earlier than Dark Side of the Moon. Check out Meddle first, it combines some of their older style, and the album finishes off with Echoes, a 23 minute long masterpiece that is a nice precursor to where the band is going.

After Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall all need to be heard.

When listening, make sure you are patient...
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 70
I disagree with starting with Meddle. I'm afraid that the inexperienced listener wouldn't "get it" by starting off with Meddle. It's a fantastic album, I have the 24K MFSL original master and love it, but I don't think it's the right starting point for a newbie.

Just go straight to Dark Side. Sit in a quiet room, no distractions, dim the lights, put some killer cans on, crank it up, and listen to the entire thing from start to finish, don't bounce around from track to track.

If you watch the documentary dvd about the making of Dark Side, there's a clip of Gilmour being interviewed where he says that he wishes he could be a person who sits back to listen to DSOTM from start to finish for the first time, never having heard it before. Lucky to be you!

Start with Dark Side, then once you are completely blown away and hooked forever, I agree that next on your list should probably be Wish You Were Here.

Remember one thing about Floyd - these are ALBUMS, not collections of songs. Listen all the way through, from start to finish, so you get the full understanding of the message the band is trying to convey.

Next on my list would probably be The Wall, although I've never been a big fan of the second record (showing my age....). But CD1 (back in 2006....) will blow you away. CD2 has it's shiny moments, but I've just never loved the ending. They put out a live cd of The Wall from start to finish, what a great performance. Definitely a must-have as you build your collection.

Animals is also killer.

The Final Cut is a great listen as well, but many really consider it the first Waters solo album. The band never even worked in the studio together, they all came in separately because they weren't getting along (to put it mildly...)

Once you've got a feel for them, then I'd say work your way backwards from Dark Side as well - Meddle, of course, as mentioned before. But also Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, etc, and of course the Syd Barrett stuff.

But if you have to pick one cd, without any shadow of a doubt it's Dark Side. Two cd's, add Wish You Here. Then you'll be hooked and find the cash to buy the rest anyway....
orphsmile.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 70
I wish I could get into Floyd all over again!!!

Anyways, i agree with NSpindel...Meddle is not the place to start. IMO its too eclectic of an album; wont give you a good feel for their general sound.

I find the best way to get people into PF is based on the musical genres that they already like.

Reason being, they have so many different "feels" to their individual works that It behooves the newbie to listen to the sound they are most familiar with.
What music do you listen to?

That being said, Dark Side is the general starter point-but like other posters have mentioned, give PF time...its an incredibly rewarding musical experience, one that I believe will last a lifetime.

Jan 2, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 70
I have listened over and over to 'Wish You Were Here' since it came out. Superb.

I have always felt an underlying tragicness in their music which just connects so strongly, that seeing them together at Live 8 was almost unbearable.

Ian

Jan 2, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I would start a bit earlier than Dark Side of the Moon. Check out Meddle first, it combines some of their older style, and the album finishes off with Echoes, a 23 minute long masterpiece that is a nice precursor to where the band is going.

After Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall all need to be heard.

When listening, make sure you are patient...
wink.gif

I agree with what is above ^^

Jan 2, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
I have listened over and over to 'Wish You Were Here' since it came out. Superb.

I have always felt an underlying tragicness in their music which just connects so strongly, that seeing them together at Live 8 was almost unbearable.

Ian

I couldnt agree more...what a performance though!
Is there a way to purchase/see just that part?

Jan 2, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
I couldnt agree more...what a performance though!
Is there a way to purchase/see just that part?

Currently, there is just a DVD box set of highlights, I believe. (Quite expensive too)

I think the themes of madness, death, illness, war coming from their personal experiences and their fathers (or lack of because of the war) deeply affected all of them.

Every time I listen to their albums, I hear something new underneath the mix that just engages fully.

I was at Live 8 and could barely get home after hearing that. I just didn't want to go home.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back