So lots of people seem to like Floyd...
Feb 10, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #61 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
I had it turned up too loud to hear the stuff at the beginning, so when the clocks struck I about flipped out.

Ah, so you've been initiated
very_evil_smiley.gif

Welcome to Pink Floyd! Glad you're loving Dark Side - kinda hard not to. You listen to any other albums of theirs yet?

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #62 of 70
Quote:

Back from the dead!

I had it turned up too loud to hear the stuff at the beginning, so when the clocks struck I about flipped out.

If you only knew how many people dove for the volumn knob when that clock first goes off, you'd be amazed.

Feb 11, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #63 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
If you only knew how many people dove for the volumn knob when that clock first goes off, you'd be amazed.

Oh man, those clocks are ear-killers
basshead.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #67 of 70
Quote:

Back from the dead!

So I got some time and went to the quietest place I could think of (basement of the library around ten at night). Sat down next to some books on thermonuclear war and the elementary mathematics of artilliary. Did some homework and qued up DSOTM.

This forum has become pretty much my primary source of new music. Some of the recommendations I like right away (In the Aeroplane over the Sea, Yoshimi), some of them I come to love after a few listens (Ghost Reveries, Kind of Blue), and some of them I can't get into (In Absentia). Well DSOTM is definately in the first category. As soon as I was done with it I just started it over. I haven't done that since De-loused. I couldn't stop cracking a silly smile.

I had it turned up too loud to hear the stuff at the beginning, so when the clocks struck I about flipped out. I heard a lot of cool stuff, the Stereolabishly silly-catchy money sounds, the Hot Water Musicish duel guitar arguing. A lot of reverse references. So good.

Oh yeah, and God bless John Grado for making the HF-1.

if you like DSOTM, check out Wish You Were Here. that album makes my jaw drop every time i listen to it.

oh and BTW, i was listening to DSOTM as i was reading your post and the clock struck as soon as i read it in your post
k1000smile.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #70 of 70
Of course it's hard to realize it. That's because it's the year 2006. I really didn't start to appreciate Pink Floyd until my dad borrowed some DVD's from his friend. I watched one on the band in general, the whole deal with Syd Barrett, and one on Dark Side of the Moon. For a while there, I was sitting in the Abbey Road studios, and the year was 1973. It really took a while, but then I started to really get what really made these guys so special.

Yeah, I liked the music at first, but it is so much better to listen to when you know little stories and tales that go with the songs. Something as little as knowing about a tiny little piece of effect the band decided to cut out. It puts a little smile on my face when I listen.

One of my favorite quotes from Gilmour goes something like "I wonder what it would be like to sit down, put on your headphones, and listen to this album. I'll bet it would be nice." Of course, he's referring to Dark Side of the Moon...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back