So lots of people seem to like Floyd...
Jan 7, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #47 of 70
Applebook - figures, your musical tastes are in line with your baseball tastes.

Mr. Damon, welcome to New York!!!!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #48 of 70
applebook said:
I've tried "Dark Side of the Moon" on CD and just can't get into it.
QUOTE]

I can understand this. imo, 'Wish You Were Here' is an easier listen and DSOTM is something that you creep back to after everyone keeps telling you how good it is!! It sort of grows on you after lots of listens. The words got to me first before I understood what was going on in the music, except for obvious songs like 'Money' (which has a time signature of 5 beats in a bar.

Ian

Jan 7, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #49 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Well, I never said that it's overrated. I just don't like it that much after a few listens. My impressions might change later, and even if they don't, that doesn't mean that the album is bad; it's just not for me.

I bet the album will be calling out to you sometime in the near future. This is one of those albums that gets better with each listen, even after you've listened to it 1000 times

Honestly, I think anyone who finds this album non-spectacular is... completely insane. Sure, it may not be for you, but that's a different story

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #50 of 70
Not sure if i'm blind or if you guys are just not really Floyd Fans, but i have yet to see "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" mentioned on here altho it did have a different writer then most other albums still tho its Amazing i would say start with that album and or Dark Side Of The Moon

BTW There will never be another band "EVER" that will compare to the brilliance and absolute perfection of Pink Floyd

haha (just my opinion)

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennMasta
Not sure if i'm blind or if you guys are just not really Floyd Fans, but i have yet to see "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" mentioned on here altho it did have a different writer then most other albums still tho its Amazing i would say start with that album and or Dark Side Of The Moon

BTW There will never be another band "EVER" that will compare to the brilliance and absolute perfection of Pink Floyd

haha (just my opinion)

You can't start a person off with a Floyd album without Roger Waters. That's like starting a person off listening to the Beatles with that reunion song that George, Paul, and Ringo did after John died.

I have all the Gilmour-Floyd albums, they can be good listens, and I'm certainly looking forward to the release of the Pulse DVD, if it ever finally happens. And I've seen the Gilmour incarnation of Floyd-Minus-Roger several times live, and loved it each time. But it's still not truly Pink Floyd.

The stuff they did in the 1970's cannot be beat, IMHO....

Jan 8, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

The stuff they did in the 1970's cannot be beat, IMHO....

They only have one album that was made outside of the 70s that was actually good...

I actually would be able to easily recommend 'non-Waters' music from Pink Floyd. Piper at the Gates of Dawn is one of the best psychedelic records ever made! I can't say the same thing about the 80s Floyd, however. What I CAN say, on the other hand, is that all of the Waters-dominated music from Pink Floyd is utter garbage! The Wall is TOLLERABLE, but The Final Cut is just a disgrace. The utter genious that came from albums like A Saucerful of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, and Dark Side of the Moon are simply unrivaled by the mediocre cry-baby lullaby music sung by Rogers during this time period.

The best thing in the world to do for a newbie Pink Floyd listener is to introduce him to the very first album, have him go straight through, and when "The Wall" (the most pretentious album ever made, by the way) is reached, tell him that album is made by a DIFFERENT 'Pink Floyd'. You'll save him a lot of time.

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #53 of 70
I just watched the Live 8 reunion again on dvd for like the 5000th time. Still gives me goosebumps. God this band is so great - still! Come on guys, just do one all out show. Do it at Hyde Park or Central Park, somewhere where they could sell a million tickets at $1000/piece (I'd pay it, and my wife would gladly go too even at that price). Raise a billion dollars, and feed Africa with it.....

One show, and just play it all.... Then sell the dvd, and call it a career. And the fans would finally be happy. This Live 8 thing is so awesome, but 4 songs is just a tease.

Jan 11, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #55 of 70
The "Live at Pompeii" DVD might be another cool way to get into Floyd, especially if you just watch the song performances and skip the spaced-out sequences:

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Conceived by the French director Adrian Maben as "an anti-Woodstock film," Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii was shot in October 1971 in a vacant, 2,000-year-old amphitheater--a venue chosen to accentuate the grandeur and spaciousness of the band's Meddle-era music. This disc contains a new, 90-minute director's cut as well as the original 60-minute concert film, whose production and effects feel inescapably dated. Maben's cut goes to great lengths to lend the film a more contemporary feel, but it's the earlier version that makes this disc such a gem, being more focused on the music and more wholistic in vision. The anamorphic, 16:9 director's cut interweaves the Pompeii performances with fascinating but distracting interviews and music snippets filmed later (mostly during the recording of Dark Side of the Moon). The movie was originally prepared in a 4:3 aspect ratio, however, and the widescreen version crops perfectly framed images like the nine-square mosaic of drummer Nick Mason in "One of These Days." The original offers plenty of closeups of fingers on frets and keys, with shots that are often luxuriously long in duration. And the picture quality from Pompeii is revelatory: outstandingly sharp and clear, rich in subtle grades of light and color.

Generous extras include everything from original posters, reviews, bootleg album covers, and song lyrics to a 24-minute interview with Maben. But for all the director's talk of the glorious acoustics in Pompeii's amphitheater, there's little natural ambience to be heard. The Dolby Digital 2.0 sound is clear, dry, and two-dimensional, though notably better than any previous video release. --Michael Mikesell

Jan 14, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #56 of 70
The Final Cut is a great listen as well, but many really consider it the first Waters solo album. The band never even worked in the studio together, they all came in separately because they weren't getting along (to put it mildly...)

Yeah, when you really get the feel for the band, listen to this straight through and then get Roger Waters-Radio K.A.O.S., and listen to that straight through-AWESOME
580smile.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #57 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome G
The Final Cut is a great listen as well, but many really consider it the first Waters solo album. The band never even worked in the studio together, they all came in separately because they weren't getting along (to put it mildly...)

Yeah, when you really get the feel for the band, listen to this straight through and then get Roger Waters-Radio K.A.O.S., and listen to that straight through-AWESOME
580smile.gif

Hmmm. I wouldn't put Final Cut on par with K.A.O.S., but I would certainly consider it very similar to Pros And Cons. If you listen to the two albums one after the other, you almost get the sense that you're listening to a double album. Except for the parts of Final Cut where you say to yourself, "Hey, that's David Gilmour playing guitar!"

Jan 14, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #58 of 70
"The Wall" was the first alblum that sucked me into Pink Floyd. I think it was partly because of the lyrics though. Whichever alblum you might pick up try to give some attention to the lyrics as well as the music. There is another side to enjoy about Pink Floyd in the lyrics.

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #59 of 70
Back from the dead!

So I got some time and went to the quietest place I could think of (basement of the library around ten at night). Sat down next to some books on thermonuclear war and the elementary mathematics of artilliary. Did some homework and qued up DSOTM.

This forum has become pretty much my primary source of new music. Some of the recommendations I like right away (In the Aeroplane over the Sea, Yoshimi), some of them I come to love after a few listens (Ghost Reveries, Kind of Blue), and some of them I can't get into (In Absentia). Well DSOTM is definately in the first category. As soon as I was done with it I just started it over. I haven't done that since De-loused. I couldn't stop cracking a silly smile.

I had it turned up too loud to hear the stuff at the beginning, so when the clocks struck I about flipped out. I heard a lot of cool stuff, the Stereolabishly silly-catchy money sounds, the Hot Water Musicish duel guitar arguing. A lot of reverse references. So good.

Oh yeah, and God bless John Grado for making the HF-1.

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #60 of 70
Money, while being an awesome song, didn't really fit in. They said themselves that they need a "hit", and that was it.

So, are you happy with DSotM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back