So i've finally been sucked into this hobby..
Oct 20, 2010 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Nawawa

100+ Head-Fier
So i finally got FA's dba-02 after months of consideration. So far I did notice the amount of detail is very precise and the seperation is superb but i'm still getting used to the piercing trebles. At first when i got these, i was thinking is this a fluke? $200 dollar phones sound like these? So i tried a few tips and so far i feel like i'm beginning to like the sound.

So far the dba-02 are very treble centred? Or will it only get better over time such that the treble being more tame and thus bring more body to the sound? How good has your dba-02 treated you?

Also bought Koss's KSC75 over the weekend. Over the last 2 months i have gotten FA's Eterna version 1 and Rev.2, Brainwavz M2, Koss's Portapro Anniversary. This is madness! Now i'm starting to feel that the famous quote, sorry about your wallet may be true!

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 44
Welcome to the our World of Angst! I Share your sentiments about this hobby. When I bought my Fischer Audio FA-003 at SGD$261, Ortofon e-Q7 at SGD$450, iBasso D4 Mamba Amplifier at SGD$339 and Monster Miles Davis Tribute at SGD$730, It burnt my wallet so much i had to sell of my Monster JAMz to cough up the small sum of dining allowance to get me through =S But When your ear soaks in bliss you forgets all the pain and pinch on your wallet, Seems we have a habit here that is as bad or not, worse than a drug habit
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 44
I recently purchased SE535s... Recently as in yesterday. I guess I'll be skipping breakfast from now on until I graduate. I swear this site is like one big wormhole. I just got sucked up in it like everyone else.

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 44
Yes its like a SuperMassive Black Hole~ No Audiophiles are getting out of this place with their wallets alive!

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 44
this hobby is really intoxicating

i am kinda broke and yet i managed to save some dough and buy re-zero/252

for now i am covered and well but i fear when the madness will come back

The horror...The horror....

(i still read the forum threads every day btw...never knew i had a head-fioholic buried inside me lol)

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 44
Same, Think my appetite are growing >.< First the MDs and e-Q7s and FA-003s, Now i thinking of CK10 and DBA-02 and Beats Studio Cans and Arrow Amps. Those will yet again be another massive bombardments on my wallets, doubt i have enough dough for them all at once anyways~ Heez

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 44

Quote:
So i finally got FA's dba-02 after months of consideration. So far I did notice the amount of detail is very precise and the seperation is superb but i'm still getting used to the piercing trebles. At first when i got these, i was thinking is this a fluke? $200 dollar phones sound like these? So i tried a few tips and so far i feel like i'm beginning to like the sound.

So far the dba-02 are very treble centred? Or will it only get better over time such that the treble being more tame and thus bring more body to the sound? How good has your dba-02 treated you?

Tips, fit and how your ears respond.  They are everything centered to me, meaning neutral.  See if you have tips that will give you a deeper insertions to bring out the fuller body.

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 44
wait until you feel you wanna take a  plunge for custom =(

Quote:

Also bought Koss's KSC75 over the weekend. Over the last 2 months i have gotten FA's Eterna version 1 and Rev.2, Brainwavz M2, Koss's Portapro Anniversary. This is madness! Now i'm starting to feel that the famous quote, sorry about your wallet may be true!

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 44
Quote:
:O  Where did you manage to snag the DBA-02s?  I was looking at those or the ortofon e-q7s, but ultimately decided to bite the bullet and go with something more available.. went and upgraded my modest android phone -> etymotic er4p setup.  I now have a 5.5G ipod -> lod -> graham slee voyager -> senn IE8s.... all you guys' fault!! >:O And still, I am already looking at getting the RWA iMod done, haha!

I tell ya, it's an expensive hobby, but boy, is it rewarding.  Music is the gift that keeps on giving, so I do see money spent here, as money well spent.  Life is short, gotta treat yourself, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you using an amp at all?  The graham slee I have is a pretty mid-thick sound, so when I plug my IE8s into them, they're a really really warm sound.  If I plug the IE8s into the headphone out jack, the highs become sharper, a bit more gritty, and not as airy.  Perhaps the right amp combo can mellow out those piercing trebles?

Because of treoo, Singapore has quite a number of dba-02 owners so i just managed to snag a new pair cause the seller didn't like it after a couple of days. No amp, just through hp out jack. Used to own a Fiio E5 and then a E7, but i felt it was way too bulky to be brought around to commute. I'm using a 5.5g ipod video too currently but i don't really need 2 mp3 players but then again i have now a few headphones and IEMs...
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Tips, fit and how your ears respond.  They are everything centered to me, meaning neutral.  See if you have tips that will give you a deeper insertions to bring out the fuller body.

Trying to find the best tips but so far the smallest single flange that it came with fits the best. Will try more tips i guess cause now i think it sort of leaks out of the music cause my friend came make out what i was listening to yesterday.

Quote:
wait until you feel you wanna take a  plunge for custom =(

Probably will eventually get them lol. just like 90% of the population here in the forums.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 44
Try listening to just the DBAs for a couple weeks and you'll find that you'll have adjusted to the new sound. Coming from the Eterna I can definitely see your point - they will sound very different and it takes a bit of time for your brain to become accustomed to the new sound signature.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 44

A month ago, I was looking for a nice pair of headphones, as the only (headset) I had was a Razer gaming headset.  I thought about the HD555 because I game as well as listen to music, or some other 100 dollar pair.  The fact that some headphones had to be amped seemed ridiculous to me.  I ended up buying the AKG K701, an Ibasso D4 Mamba, and now have a Matrix M Stage amp and two Blue Jeans cables on the way.  Almost 1000 bucks right there.

And now I'm considering getting either the DT990 or Pro 900 for a more bassy music experience.  This hobby is definitely a wallet killer, but so far I love, and if I could go back, I would still delve into head over heels 
k701smile.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #13 of 44
Yeah, looking around these forums are bound to suck you in...

I bought my SRH840 a week ago, and now I am back on a prowl for an upgrade for my portables.
frown.gif

My wallet is going to cry till the end of my life, I am almost sure of it. XD

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #14 of 44
I have to agree with most of the posts here. : D It all started when my friend tempted me with a highly discounted Shure SE310's, which I eventually sold for a pair of UE Triple Fi 10's which I was happy with for a month or so, which I felt was incredibly detailed when compared to my old SE310's, it was also quite a change as the Shure's were quite light in bass. I thought I'd stick to my TF10's but I was all wrong. I dropped by back here and stumbled upon the then sort-of-FOTM SM3's, which got me excited enough to sell my TF10's and swapped it for the SM3's, which to me was almost a clear upgrade. I could hear stuff I couldn't hear before the TF10's, the recessed-mids in the TF10's were back up and it was liquid smooth and dropped the grit that I thought made the TF10's a bit harsh in certain situations. 

I had a bout of headphones itch and grabbed myself a pair of ATH-ES10's. And now my impressions are on the way to JHA for my pair of JH16's. My wallet's dead and I'm now trying to ban myself from making any purchases for the next year. 

But here's what I think most of us here can agree upon: money well spent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back