So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
Mar 9, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #887 of 930
Phew, so I read through the thread.. I'm still trying to find an IC to get.. I'm gonna be using the FiiO x5 and E12, using Beyerdynamic DT770's at 250ohm.. very tempted to make my own, but I've never really soldered anything before. I do love to make things, so I may go out and get a soldering kit. I don't have the money for these awesome setups like a lot of you guys have yet! One day... one day. I'm moving up from an iPod, though, so I'm pretty excited about this setup!

In the meantime, though - what would you guys recommend for an IC with x5+E12 without breaking the bank? 

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #888 of 930
Phew, so I read through the thread.. I'm still trying to find an IC to get.. I'm gonna be using the FiiO x5 and E12, using Beyerdynamic DT770's at 250ohm.. very tempted to make my own, but I've never really soldered anything before. I do love to make things, so I may go out and get a soldering kit. I don't have the money for these awesome setups like a lot of you guys have yet! One day... one day. I'm moving up from an iPod, though, so I'm pretty excited about this setup!

In the meantime, though - what would you guys recommend for an IC with x5+E12 without breaking the bank? 

Get some Neutrik plugs like this
http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/35-mm-right-angle-stereo-plug/

Then a soldering kit and, a 22 or 24 gauge copper wire, heat shrink wrap and a torch.

Be adventurous and you can make an IC exactly as you want it. If you want to be fancy you can get some tube/sleeve to wrap around your wire.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #889 of 930

FiiO is releasing a bundle kit for X5 and E12, I would say check that out, it might be what you are looking for.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #891 of 930

FiiO is releasing a bundle kit for X5 and E12, I would say check that out, it might be what you are looking for.

Yup def want to get that - I thought it was just a bundle kit to literally bundle the x5 and E12 together, like this:
a8sIpI5.jpg

Does it come with a better IC cable than what comes with FiiO amps?

Get some Neutrik plugs like this
http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/35-mm-right-angle-stereo-plug/

Then a soldering kit and, a 22 or 24 gauge copper wire, heat shrink wrap and a torch.

Be adventurous and you can make an IC exactly as you want it. If you want to be fancy you can get some tube/sleeve to wrap around your wire.

Awesome - thanks! Seems easy enough. What about wire, though - I thought there was more to it than just using regular copper? If I were to try and find really good wire, what should I look for? I've heard some mention using both copper and silver, silver plated copper, etc etc... not to mention wire layouts, braiding or flat, etc..

I am definitely interested in buying one, though.. or at least comparing some prices. Would love to make/buy one the shortest possible for x5+e12 (although I may have to wait and see how they fit and how far apart they are)...probably wouldn't need more than an inch of wire at least.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #892 of 930
  Yup def want to get that - I thought it was just a bundle kit to literally bundle the x5 and E12 together, like this:
a8sIpI5.jpg

Does it come with a better IC cable than what comes with FiiO amps?

I think James posted a photo of the production unit, if my memory doesn't fail me, it is supposed to be silver IC and very good build quality though no right angled jacks. You can find more info in X5 thread or just send a PM to James, as soon as he sees he can help you, he has been very helpful with my questions before.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #893 of 930
  I think James posted a photo of the production unit, if my memory doesn't fail me, it is supposed to be silver IC and very good build quality though no right angled jacks. You can find more info in X5 thread or just send a PM to James, as soon as he sees he can help you, he has been very helpful with my questions before.

Ah, awesome! That is great news then. Then I will probably just end up building my own, and using those in the meantime.

I am pretty sure the bundle kit comes out after the x5 is released, though, which I'm kind of bummed about - I wish I could preorder both of them!

Thanks for the info :)

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #894 of 930

Awesome - thanks! Seems easy enough. What about wire, though - I thought there was more to it than just using regular copper? If I were to try and find really good wire, what should I look for? I've heard some mention using both copper and silver, silver plated copper, etc etc... not to mention wire layouts, braiding or flat, etc..

I am definitely interested in buying one, though.. or at least comparing some prices. Would love to make/buy one the shortest possible for x5+e12 (although I may have to wait and see how they fit and how far apart they are)...probably wouldn't need more than an inch of wire at least.

Start with the regular Oxygen Free Copper wire (OFC). Which I think is cheap these days. You can practice then once you get the hang of it you can try silver wires. Or silver plated copper.

If you hear any difference then let us know. To be honest If you make a decent connector, there is no difference at all ( at least not perceptible to most people) regardless of which kind of wire you use. Other factors like solder joints, bad insulation cause more sonic difference than the actual wire used making the IC.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #895 of 930

Start with the regular Oxygen Free Copper wire (OFC). Which I think is cheap these days. You can practice then once you get the hang of it you can try silver wires. Or silver plated copper.

If you hear any difference then let us know. To be honest If you make a decent connector, there is no difference at all ( at least not perceptible to most people) regardless of which kind of wire you use. Other factors like solder joints, bad insulation cause more sonic difference than the actual wire used making the IC.

Oh perfect! This is exactly what I needed to hear - thank you!
Time to get a soldering kit!

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #896 of 930
  I'm in the process of selling my DX100 and now I'm looking for the best possible portable amp to match my DX50. Now, before you all start screaming "You need the [insert favorite amp here], it's so awesome!", there are some points to consider. Boring, I know, but it will make this thread a lot more meaningful. Sorry about that.

• For use mainly with (C)IEMs. Apart from a wireless gaming headset, my 4 sets of serious headphones are iems. Two universals, two custom. This means that there should be a variable gain setting, because...
  • It should also work with full-size cans. No need for arch-welding, HE-6 driving power though, but it should have the ability to drive reasonable cans with something like the HD650 and the HE500 probably being the hardest thing it'll be exposed to. Don't go for pinnacle performance here though, the focus is IEMs.
  • No hiss or grain. Seriously. The thing should be dead quiet in itself. I tried the Alo RX mk IIIb for 5 minutes and not only was even low gain way off the charts for IEM use, it was noisy as hell (even with the HE50). Did not like.
  • Somewhat neutral sounding as I will be using it to evaluate other equipment. No harm in having a sound signature, just as long as it's not too heavily colored.
  • I'd love to go balanced. But why? I keep reading about how balanced amping is basically the second coming, but others claim that it is technically impossible for BA drivers to gain anything from balanced drive. To balance or not to balance?
  • Size is a factor. Not that I will be shoving the Dap&Amp stack in my jeans pocket anytime soon, I want the amp to stack nicely with the DX50. This puts minature amps like the P51 out of the question and make others (like the RSA Intruder) look just about perfect with the DX50. Useful info: The dimensions of the DX50 are 2.52W x 3.98L x 0.67H (inch)
    64W x 100L x 17H (mm)
  • Cost is always a factor, but I prefer to buy the best and only cry once. Upper limit is around the $700 mark I'd say.
  • Should be battery powered off course, but anthing over 4 hours of battery life is fine as long as it plays while charging without destroying the sound.

Now, if you've made it this far, please share any and all thoughts you might have about the subject. Outright recomandations ("Here, buy this!") and general thoughts ("Balanced is superior/useless because...") are equally appreciated!

I'm leaning towards the RSA Intruder right now, as it ticks all the boxes but it also maxes out my budget. I'm cool with buying used gear tho. Thanks in advance for any and all light you might be able to shed on the subject to help my decision! 
beerchug.gif

CypherLabs Duet. Prboelm solved.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #898 of 930
Mar 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #900 of 930
  Duet is an iDevice amp right? So no point in this thread I guess.

No the Duet is just a pure amp...it wont take the digital signal from an iDevice as there is no DAC. The Theorem 720 is a DAC / AMP combo that can be used with iDevices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back