So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
Oct 29, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #138 of 930
Oh my... I like this a lot.

Meier Quickstep loaner from Head-Fi'er RasmusHorn (a fellow Dane). Such clarity and soundstage! 
eek.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #139 of 930
Lol - my team lead just asked me to stop drumming. I wasn't even aware I was drumming  along with the music while coding. Apparently drumming with my thumbs on the wrist support on my keyboard is pretty noisy. 

+1 point for the Meier for getting me carried away like that. +5 points for bugging my team lead.

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #141 of 930
  I'm buying.

Just one thing, do you just use batteries with it? Or?

There's a battery in it but it's running off the PSU now. Just the way I like it. 

Initial Quickstep impressions after 3 hours of random music:
Soundstage: A+ - This is great. So wide and 3-dimensional, yet everything seems to be in its right place.
Flavor: Neutral! Not bright, not dark. It just strips the veil of whatever music you're playing and serves it to you on a silver platter. Nothing added, nothing removed. Bass is dry, hard-hitting and textured. "Clarity" would be the one word I would use to describe this amp. 
Power: IEM perfection. On low gain my preferred listening level is reached at exactly 50% volume.
Build: I'm pretty confident I could run this amp over with my car and it would still be playing. Built like a tank, but not overly heavy.

Cons: Heir Rendition 10 gives you a fatter bass for heavy-hitting electro. Also the Quickstep is slightly oddly shaped if that matters to you. Oh and no charging circuit. I like the ordnung muss sein/reinheit über alles approach but a charging circuit would have been nice.

Works well for rubberbanding with the DX50 :)

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #142 of 930
  There's a battery in it but it's running off the PSU now. Just the way I like it. 

Soundstage: A+ - This is great. So wide and 3-dimensional, yet everything seems to be in its right place.
Flavor: Neutral! Not bright, not dark. It just strips the veil of whatever music you're playing and serves it to you on a silver platter. Nothing added, nothing removed. Bass is dry, hard-hitting and textured. "Clarity" would be the one word I would use to describe this amp. 
Power: IEM perfection. On low gain my preferred listening level is reached at exactly 50% volume.
Build: I'm pretty confident I could run this amp over with my car and it would still be playing. Built like a tank, but not overly heavy.

Cons: Heir Rendition 10 gives you a fatter bass for heavy-hitting electro. Also the Quickstep is slightly oddly shaped if that matters to you. Oh and no charging circuit. I like the ordnung muss sein/reinheit über alles approach but a charging circuit would have been nice.

So do you think you're going to purchase it? Seems to me, that you're not convinced about the synergy with the heir rendition 10.

After reading this rave article: http://www.inearmatters.net/2011/12/review-hifiman-re272-purist.html I'm actually considering buying the quickstep And the re272 :x

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #143 of 930
  So do you think you're going to purchase it? Seems to me, that you're not convinced about the synergy with the heir rendition 10.

After reading this rave article: http://www.inearmatters.net/2011/12/review-hifiman-re272-purist.html I'm actually considering buying the quickstep And the re272 :x

I thought you would stay in the ciem world :D

@Soren, Do you think Quickstep can give enough power to hard to drive ciems? I think high gain should be okay but still wanted to ask.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #144 of 930

@Soren, Do you think Quickstep can give enough power to hard to drive ciems? I think high gain should be okay but still wanted to ask.

I certainly am! But if I can find a cheap re272 I might not be able to resist! 

Oh, I've actually seen people using the quickstep with the senn HD650 without any problems. So I think they'll have more than enough power for your cIEMs.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #145 of 930
  I certainly am! But if I can find a cheap re272 I might not be able to resist! 

Oh, I've actually seen people using the quickstep with the senn HD650 without any problems. So I think they'll have more than enough power for your cIEMs.

Check Hifiman's website and see the dealers in Europe, it will take you some time to find what you are looking for but there is a chance that you can find those iems in Europe. I did that research for HM901 (no shop in Eu has it for the moment I think) and I remember seeing their old iems like RE272.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #146 of 930

Oh the synergy is pure bliss - but for bassy music, the slight bass boost of the Rendition 1 amp comes in handy. The quickstep wins on soundstage, detail retrival, dynamics and clarity... Not that the R1 is bad, the quickstep is just better. Not sure if the balanced ground magic is doing this or if it's just a very good single ended amp, but it sure sounds like all the positive things I've read about balanced amps. I'm trying to see if I can get my hands on an Ibasso PB2  for comparison before pulling the trigger though 
smile.gif

Most definitely, I'll give it a spin with my Tzar 350 tomorrow. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #147 of 930
  I'm buying.

Just one thing, do you just use batteries with it? Or?

I'm not sure where you are located?  But for me I use Li-ion Rechargables.  I'm using a 600mah Hitech, A bit pricey at around $16-20 a battery but they are VERY good batteries as well.
EBL makes a good quality 9v.
Hitech are made in Japan and are prob the best?? Canada seller for Battery only
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiTech-9-Volt-600-mAh-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-/110735970286?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c860cfee
USA seller for 2 batteries and charger, Pricey but it is Hitech themselves, check their store for a better deal maybe?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-Hitech-Li-ion-9V-Rechargeable-Batteries-600mAh-2-bank-9v-1-TOP-Charger-/330879472451?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item4d09f41343

Here is EBL, good as well and A lot cheaper, I still prefer Hitech but these are good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6F22-Battery-Charger-2pcs-9v-Rechargeable-6F22-600mAh-Lithium-ion-Battery-NEW/300974632195?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D18475%26meid%3D2326350522994709796%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D8385%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D271247019008%26

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #148 of 930

Oh the synergy is pure bliss - but for bassy music, the slight bass boost of the Rendition 1 amp comes in handy. The quickstep wins on soundstage, detail retrival, dynamics and clarity... Not that the R1 is bad, the quickstep is just better. Not sure if the balanced ground magic is doing this or if it's just a very good single ended amp, but it sure sounds like all the positive things I've read about balanced amps. I'm trying to see if I can get my hands on an Ibasso PB2  for comparison before pulling the trigger though 
smile.gif

Most definitely, I'll give it a spin with my Tzar 350 tomorrow. 

Looking forward to read your comments
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #149 of 930

This is exactly how I feel with my quickstep! I've been listening at exactly 50% at low gain too. I'm thoroughly in love with this amp!

Oct 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #150 of 930
This is exactly how I feel with my quickstep! I've been listening at exactly 50% at low gain too. I'm thoroughly in love with this amp!

Looks like the Quickstep is exactly what i need to further improve the DX50. As a bonus, it's German, just like me. B.t.w. have you read the FAQ on Meier Audio about "Single ended driving" versus "balanced driving" versus "active balanced ground driving" here? http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/grounds.htm

The Quickstep features the latter which combines the benefits of balanced driving and single ended driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back