So i just ordered the MS-1s ..
Sep 17, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #31 of 51
MS-1(i)s are the next item on my audio shopping list... that or a FiiO E7. Imported MS-1s are less than the cost of a new locally bought SR60 here, so I think this is the best way to go if I want to experience the 'Grado sound'. After that I'll probably start to upgrade upwards rather than sideways.

I hope your cans arrive soon - I remember waiting for my RE-ZERO to come from China, ended up arriving the day before I went out of the country for a month. I checked that damn shipping tracker about eight times a day, and when they finally arrived it still said that they were still in customs.
So don't trust the trackers too much.
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #34 of 51

Quote:
i don´t have a camera right now, sorry...
one question, after listening for like half an hour my ears start hurting me, why would it be that?

I had the X-fi music too, and when i got the Ath-AD700, i noticed that they were tiresome, and my head/ears would hurt after a while. Even my cheap Iriver E100 sounded more relaxing.
I got a different soundcard, and sure enough, the harshness was gone.
I do own the MS-1i now, and they don't hurt my ears, i actually prefer them to the AD700.
So, i suggest you try them with other sources (even portable players) and see how you feel.

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #35 of 51

Quote:

I had the X-fi music too, and when i got the Ath-AD700, i noticed that they were tiresome, and my head/ears would hurt after a while. Even my cheap Iriver E100 sounded more relaxing.
I got a different soundcard, and sure enough, the harshness was gone.
I do own the MS-1i now, and they don't hurt my ears, i actually prefer them to the AD700.
So, i suggest you try them with other sources (even portable players) and see how you feel.

Yesterday i tried them with my ipod and they don´t make my ears tired, but i guess i´m getting used to them because they don´t hurt my ears as much as before.

would you recommend to buy a hp amp to improve the sound quality? (preferably from a page like alessandro, with worldwide shipping)

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #36 of 51
I don't think an amp would make such a big difference for MS-1i, from what i've been reading about them they are pretty efficient. But, i will find out for myself since i'm waiting for my Matrix M-stage to arrive this week.
Anyway, i think you'd be much better off changing the Creative with some other source, either a better soundcard or a DAC. You have a lot more options for quality DACs, and some of them have an amp included. For example, the Audinst Mx-1 has very good reviews and you can buy it from their website: HERE. I plan on getting one myself
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #37 of 51
A good amp and a good source are about a lot more than just delivering lots of power.

I don't really like the sound of my MS1i out of my Creative Zen Micro, but they sound pretty nice out of my tube amp.  It fills the sound in nicely, and is capable of delivering the detail that Grado does so well.

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #38 of 51
I have an Audio-gd FUN amp/dac on the way. I agonised over the order for a long time as synergy with the MS-1i was vitally important. An amp is not crucial for these cans but as I've already commented , even with my existing entry level gear I find the MS-1i more dynamic and immersive. It'll be intersting to hear how they go with Matrix M-Stage... which was my first choice before deciding in the Audio-gd for its versatility. I'll post impressions of the Alessandros with the FUN once I've spent time with both.

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #39 of 51
So i just received them and well i like them but I didn't get really .. well what was the word.. i expected more. I really think my crap sound card is holding them back. I will go out now and buy a new sound card, maybe a creative x-fi HD .. i couldn't find an asus xonar essence stx here so yeah.. i don't feel like ordering or waiting anymore! I guess it also needs some burn time.. Should i leave it on all night or should i just do it naturally?

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #40 of 51
Try driving the MS1s out of a portable MP3 player to see if they improve - if they do, it's your soundcard, but if you still don't like them, they're just not to your taste. I've found that they scale little - there were noticeable but nevertheless marginal improvements with my MS1s when driven out of an iPhone and a ~$1000 desktop rig.

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #41 of 51

Quote:
So i just received them and well i like them but I didn't get really .. well what was the word.. i expected more. I really think my crap sound card is holding them back. I will go out now and buy a new sound card, maybe a creative x-fi HD .. i couldn't find an asus xonar essence stx here so yeah.. i don't feel like ordering or waiting anymore! I guess it also needs some burn time.. Should i leave it on all night or should i just do it naturally?

Disabled all audio-"enhancing" features they always put in gamer-cards? I own an X-Fi card (XtremeMusic, so no amp) but since I got my iBasso (D4 DAC/Amp) I haven't touched it.
Don't spend your money on the X-Fi, save your money for a decent DAC instead, in my humble opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #42 of 51
Yes, Curls, probably your soundcard is not doing them justice. Plus, i remember not being very impressed with them the first week(s). Either they've improved with time, or my brain's adapted to the sound, all i know is i like them a lot more now.
Regarding the burn-in method, you can do both, leave 'em singing non-stop and listen when you want.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #43 of 51
Hmm, I tried connecting them to an mp3 player and they did play better. There was a pretty big difference, so I'm guessing it's my soundcard. As for what roob said, It would be wiser to get a DAC instead of a new sound card? I'd like peoples opinions who actually have had experience with this stuff before i make a stupid economical decision. I just checked what sound card i have an apparently all i could get off the DxDiag and the Device Manager was that it's a "Realtek High Definition Audio". It's fairly old and when i assembled my pc about 2 years ago I didn't have much information about soundcards and what not, so i choose a random card. I have a big feeling though that i really should get it changed.

EDIT: Forgot to mention they also.. I'm not sure how to describe it, but kind of distorts sometimes.E

EDIT2: It distorts at high volumes and i'm really hoping that's due to my onboard audio and not the headphones
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back