So I ended up with some HD650's...
Jun 9, 2011 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dr.toboggan

New Head-Fier
Essentially on a whim I just got some HD650's, and they sound fantastic. The only problem is that I wasn't planning on getting any high end headphones and don't have the gear in place to make them sing. As compared to the high end setup that I auditioned them on, they sound very veiled and the soundstage has collapsed. However, like any other student, my budget is pretty limited for the next couple of years. Currently I have a little bravo v2 amp that I was using as a cheap way of attenuating the volume out of my ps3. The question is, should I:
spring for an amp/dac combo like the ef2,
get a cheap dac (grubdac looks promising) and a decent amp in the $100-$150 range,
get a good dac and leave the amp as it is?

I'm not expecting to get 100% out of them, but a am craving a little more than what I have.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 17
1. Go to Goodwill or any other second hand store
2. Look for a Am/Fm receiver that has a RCA red and white jack in the rear to take as an input
3. Find a 3.5mm to red/white RCA male cable
4. Connect to computer, or RCA directly to ps3 without above cable
5. Connect headphones to front
6. Enjoy, this acts like a amp for about $20 and I use mine everyday

I wouldn't buy an amp without having a good DAC. Get a Cowon like as S9 and that will serve you well and it does push the headphones well.

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 17
There's some Aune DAC/Amps for sale on eBay that usually run about $150 or so. Apparently they are quite good.

At around $200, you have the Fiio E7 and E9 combo that is apparently very nice as well.

If you have a desktop computer, you could get one of the higher end Asus Xonar or Auzentech sound cards. They both sell cards with amps that should power headphones up to 600 ohms.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 17
I have decent soldering skills, and access to some nice equipment. So a diy route is certainly possible, particularly regarding the amp as I haven't done smd work before. 

I haven't heard of the Aune stuff before, but is it normal for them to have 5-6 listings for what appears to be the same item at slightly different prices? Seems a bit off to me.

I've read plenty about the E7/E9 combo, but would the E9 be a decent enough upgrade from the bravo? I've read that the bravo amps the hd650 enough, and by my own ears it seems to be getting enough power. Of course that doesn't take into account the actual quality of the sound so much. The combo is within my budget, but the reason I started this thread instead of following advice is I already have a budget amp and have to decide if the best idea is to replace it and add a cheap dac, a combo or just invest in a good dac and upgrade the amp later.

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 17
http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=42

It uses a very high quality DAC. It's the same DAC chip used on high end balanced XLR setups (except balanced drive technically uses two of these).

But heres the kicker:

The Fiio E7 is the same thing for 100 bucks with a better amp stage!

Hands down, E7.

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.toboggan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't heard of the Aune stuff before, but is it normal for them to have 5-6 listings for what appears to be the same item at slightly different prices? Seems a bit off to me.

I know they've gone through a few revisions. So you'll have the original, MK2, then sometimes you'll see the MK2 special edition. Sometimes different sellers are selling the same item as well. You'll have to look at the item descriptions very carefully to see what differences there are (if any). If you have the extra money, I'd go for the newer/upgraded versions of the Aune amp.

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 17
Might I recommend the Nuforce uDAC2? It delivers quite a nice sound for a reasonable price.

Perhaps a bit more powerful amp would suit the high impedance HD-650s better but the uDAC is a good start in my humble opinion.

Cheers

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
That's what I hear, which is why I'm asking if maybe a dac would be a better investment for now. 

It's fun, and certainly colors the sound,  but I'm not sure how much it was actually amplifying for me. (especially since someone else I commented about it with gave the same impression)  If you're trying it with the 650s and they still sound veiled  it's likely that it's just not driving them properly, in which case a dac won't fix it.

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
I have decent soldering skills, and access to some nice equipment. So a diy route is certainly possible, particularly regarding the amp as I haven't done smd work before. 

Please: (1) disregard all suggestions that you should drive your 650's with a portable amp; and (2) take a look at the bottlehead "crack" kit before making your decision.  It is a very well regarded point to point OTL tube amp kit, within your price range, and it pairs exquisitely with the HD650's (as well as many other high impedance headphones).  See: http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=224&rn=442&action=show_detail and also the long head-fi thread on the crack.      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back