So how do you like the Zune 80?
Nov 25, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 177
I currently own a pair or "Equation Audio: RP-21s". I'm not sure how they'd sound directly out of the Zune 80 headphone out. I personally love bass, and the lack of EQ is the only thing keeping me back from buying this player. If the Zunes bass sounds great with my RP-21s, I may still buy one.

Nov 25, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #17 of 177
I know that they eliminated the EQ but there are no sound settings whatsoever (besides volume)? Amazing.

I'm going to sit out this generation. I'm happy with my Archos V1 recorder with Rockbox (upgraded to 120 gigs). I don't really need portable video so I'll wait to see what the next generation offers.

Tim

Nov 25, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 177
I have a Zune 80 lisen via Denon c700's.

Sounds very clean and flat, absolutely no hype.

Versus my Sony NWZ-818 I'd say it's not quite as dynamic or rich, but makes up for it by having none of the Sony's bacground hiss, all in all I'd call it a draw. The Zune A/V dock has a line out that is tru line level and also sounds absolutely clean and detailed with my 256kbps or better MP3 files.

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 177
I got a "Zune 80 available for purchase" email from buy.com this morning early, so I ordered one. I too have heard that the accessories are cheaper on Amazon, so I'll go there to buy them. One question please. Is the A/V dock $99 the only dock that has the "line out"? Can someone confirm this for me? Thanks!

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #21 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Zune 80 lisen via Denon c700's.

Sounds very clean and flat, absolutely no hype.

Versus my Sony NWZ-818 I'd say it's not quite as dynamic or rich, but makes up for it by having none of the Sony's bacground hiss, all in all I'd call it a draw. The Zune A/V dock has a line out that is tru line level and also sounds absolutely clean and detailed with my 256kbps or better MP3 files.

That's great news. I had no clue that a Zune 80 line-out was possible. This new Zune definitely looks like my next purchase.

Nov 25, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #22 of 177
I never used the EQ on my ipod, it sucked big time. I listen to many genres, it was a pain to keep changing the eq, so I left it off. The Zune 80 did have hardware concerns which meant Microsoft left out the eq as posted above. I don't even turn it on my zune30. With a good amp and headphones, it's good for me. Turn up the volume and you'll forget about the eq!
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #24 of 177
Great pics, I love the nomad comparison shots since i still have my old nomad. I don't know if I should go zune 80 or zune 8 for christmas, as I'll get my ipod again in February or so, and I don't want to be redundant.

Off topic for a bit, Hopefully i can get a zune for christmas as I'm broke after bying Denon d2000 and an emu 0404usb ^_^

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #25 of 177
I'm quite pleased with my 80, in a lot of ways, and yes, sound quality is certainly one of them. I've noticed that I prefer the synergy between the Zune 80 and the KSC75s, and to that end I've ordered a pair of PortaPros to try out. We'll see how it goes.

I'm surprised that no one here has commented on the trade-off for the lack of equalization in the new Zunes. I'm not sure if anyone here knows this, but the Zune designers specifically omitted the equalization chip to both aid battery life and, much more importantly, clear up the signal path. It seems to me that this would be an amazing find for people here; isn't that similar to why so many people get iMods?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #27 of 177
Zune 80 is 100% my next player. I am just waiting for some kind of sale or something on them.

Nov 26, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #28 of 177
I was kinda worried about the lack of EQ going from the 30 to the 80 but im very pleased with the sound.. I've tested between the two and no EQ on the 30(new firmware) is about the same as the 80, 80 seems to have a bit more punch in the low end..

outside of sound, the 30 seems to run the new UI faster than the 80, 80 seems to hesitate fairly often while the 30 is smooth as silk.. took a few minutes to get used to the touch pad but I really like it..

battery life got a huge boost, I have run a 10 hr shift at work and not even used 1/4 of my battery.. very nice!

fyi using Shure E500's..

Nov 26, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #29 of 177
Quote:

Originally Posted by GravY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was kinda worried about the lack of EQ going from the 30 to the 80 but im very pleased with the sound.. I've tested between the two and no EQ on the 30(new firmware) is about the same as the 80, 80 seems to have a bit more punch in the low end..

wave.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back