So, for universals, nothing is higher than the Shure SE530?
Aug 2, 2010 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Banned at his own request
Yes SE535, but that's just a recablebable (is this even a word?) SE530 with very minor sonic differences, if at all (from reading all the SE535 threads here).
Triple.FI's, UM3X... just sidestepping, not really upgrading.
Well, fine. Maybe the Miles Davis Tribute.
So anything higher would be a custom of some sort, right? either a reshell or a brand-new one, such as the Jerry Harvey, Ultimate Ears or the Futuresonics Ear Monitors. Also some Chinese customs.
If I ever wanted to upgrade to a custom, should I choose reshell, or a custom? Maybe not UE-18 level, but a UE-7 is good.
Some have said that you are simply gambling when doing reshells. The new sound, you might like, you might like not.
But reshells are cheap(er).
Which way should I go?

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 23
Best universal IEM out right now, IMHO, is the DBA-02.

My planned upgrade to the DBA-02 is a JH-13.

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 23

Quote:
Best universal IEM out right now, IMHO, is the DBA-02.

My planned upgrade to the DBA-02 is a JH-13.

Reading your review of the DBA. Actually reading their site aroused my interest for the FA-002, lol.
How does the DBA compare to current triple-driver BA universals?

EDIT: It says 'Fischer Audio GmBH' but items ship from Russia? And their site has an 'RU' and an 'EN', but no 'DE'.

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 23
You will find that once you hit about $200 and up, most everything are side steps.  There are some minor variations in overall level, but for the most part the right earphone is the one that offers the sound closest to your ideal.  The challenge becomes a matter of finding which product provides that sound.  Better or worse is a much smaller deal.  A high level product that doesn't offer the sound you want is a worse product than one that's actually a step down overall but has the sound you're looking for.

As LFF pointed you to the DBA-02 is one of those "best" products, and one attractive attribute beyond sound quality is its very affordable price.  It's 50% the price of the products it's competing with, and bang for the buck is a serious scale.  Take the RE0/RE-ZERO for example, outstanding bang for the buck.

I've used a slew of product in my own search, and what I can tell you straight out is that there are a LOT of really good products out there and all the trouble you'll run into is going to be trying to find that earphone that matches your personal preferences to a T.  This is incredibly hard and half a crap shoot.  User reviews and comments will help you, but you may still have to demo a pile of earphones just to weed through all the good candidates.  It's work.  It's money.  It's time.  In the end you will eventually find a product you will really enjoy. 

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 23
If you are a BA fan then DBA02 or SM3.  Dynamic fan FX700, Coppers, MD or DDM.  You need to research what your desired signature is.

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 23
What was the question again?

Quote:
Yes SE535, but that's just a recablebable (is this even a word?) SE530 with very minor sonic differences, if at all (from reading all the SE535 threads here).
Triple.FI's, UM3X... just sidestepping, not really upgrading.
Well, fine. Maybe the Miles Davis Tribute.
So anything higher would be a custom of some sort, right? either a reshell or a brand-new one, such as the Jerry Harvey, Ultimate Ears or the Futuresonics Ear Monitors. Also some Chinese customs.
If I ever wanted to upgrade to a custom, should I choose reshell, or a custom? Maybe not UE-18 level, but a UE-7 is good.
Some have said that you are simply gambling when doing reshells. The new sound, you might like, you might like not.
But reshells are cheap(er).
Which way should I go?

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
Reading your review of the DBA. Actually reading their site aroused my interest for the FA-002, lol.
How does the DBA compare to current triple-driver BA universals?

IMHO, it beats them all (universals) - this is coming from experience and from what a lot of other people have told me. The FA-002 and 003 are awesome as well. I prefer the closed design of the FA-003 over the FA-002 though.

EDIT: IMHO = In My Humble Opinion.  This in turn refers to my preference for a natural, dynamic sound signature.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
IMHO, it beats them all (universals) - this is coming from experience and from what a lot of other people have told me. The FA-002 and 003 are awesome as well. I prefer the closed design of the FA-003 over the FA-002 though.

Surely you are not discounting signature preferences and making a universal claim as it reads?  There are many like myself that feel technical ability does not always translate into natural musicality and desirability.  I know for a fact the DBA cannot possibly render a Piano, percussion or Cello as well as my MD's.   Unless you have an aversion to decay, reverb and natural organic timbre.  I imagine the FX700 would represent an even larger gap for the DBAs in this regard.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
IMHO, it beats them all (universals) - this is coming from experience and from what a lot of other people have told me.

Where can I audition these? Do they have a 30-days-no-questions-asked return possibility?
Anaxilus: I own both, one dynamic (Turbine Pro-Gold) one BA (SE530). I like them both, I keep them both and I listen to them both. They excel in different leagues. Basically different 'taste'. Like beef vs. chicken.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Surely you are not discounting signature preferences and making a universal claim as it reads?  There are many like myself that feel technical ability does not always translate into natural musicality and desirability.  I know for a fact the DBA cannot possibly render a Piano, percussion or Cello as well as my MD's.   Unless you have an aversion to decay, reverb and natural organic timbre.  I imagine the FX700 would represent an even larger gap for the DBAs in this regard.

Strictly an opinion. I'll fix my post.

To me the DBA-02's render piano, percussion, violin, cello, bass, etc and voices as naturally as I actually hear them. The natural decay and timbre is all present and that's why I feel they are the very best I have heard. They are very natural sounding and very musical. It's an amazing IEM in my humble opinion.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Where can I audition these? Do they have a 30-days-no-questions-asked return possibility?
Anaxilus: I own both, one dynamic (Turbine Pro-Gold) one BA (SE530). I like them both, I keep them both and I listen to them both. They excel in different leagues. Basically different 'taste'. Like beef vs. chicken.

You may want to contact Bugden Audio and see what their return policy is.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
Strictly an opinion. I'll fix my post.

To me the DBA-02's render piano, percussion, violin, cello, bass, etc and voices as naturally as I actually hear them. The natural decay and timbre is all present and that's why I feel they are the very best I have heard. They are very natural sounding and very musical. It's an amazing IEM in my humble opinion.

Good to hear.  Certainly a persuasive little IEM.  I consider myself very much a DD guy but even these things pique my interest.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
Good to hear.  Certainly a persuasive little IEM.  I consider myself very much a DD guy but even these things pique my interest.

I assume you mean dynamic drivers by "DD". Either way, I also DD's.
wink_face.gif

When it comes to headphones and IEM's it seems I always liked dynamic drivers a bit more until I listened to the DBA-02's. Now all I listen to is the DBA-02's.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #14 of 23
man lff you are getting me pumped for my dba2...

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #15 of 23
well id say the 530 are still sitting at the top of things along side a handfull of others.  the thing is at that level picking the one that suits your taste is far more important than findng the "best" one.  if you want a treble monster sound then clearly the 530 is never going to be the one for you. 

you should be far more concerned with finding your desired sound signature than arguing over whats "best"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back