So, for universals, nothing is higher than the Shure SE530?
Aug 2, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #16 of 23
just like anything, when it comes down to it, its just based solely on ones opinion. Especially when you get in the top market of headphones. For instants, I dont think there would be that much discrepancy on if a 5 star restaurants food is of higher class than lets say a fast food joint (good iem vs. crap). But you cant say a high class french place is unquestionably better than this high class italian place. You like it better as a result of your own tastes and preferences. 

Aug 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #17 of 23
For folks who like that thicker, textured note there are some BAs that are like that.  As much as some are squeaky clean and super short on note, others do offer thickness, texture, articulation too.  Some that come to mind are the Triple.Fi 10, Custom 3, ER4S, CK10, the UM3X.  Any of these offer a little more than that classic BA expectation.  Just because a BA driver is used doesn't mean it's decay has to stop on a dime. 

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
For folks who like that thicker, textured note there are some BAs that are like that.  As much as some are squeaky clean and super short on note, others do offer thickness, texture, articulation too.  Some that come to mind are the Triple.Fi 10, Custom 3, ER4S, CK10, the UM3X.  Any of these offer a little more than that classic BA expectation.  Just because a BA driver is used doesn't mean it's decay has to stop on a dime. 

I'm looking forward to hearing the SM3 decay.  Might change my mind about BAs finally as it has w/ so many DD folk around these parts.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #19 of 23
I agree with the people who still prefer one dynamic driver, even over 3 balanced armatures... for me, this translates to the thought that a dual dynamic driver earphone, as in My Koss KDE/250, or the Radius DDM, can easily compete with a 6 speaker per ear configuration, assuming all 6 are BA type. Listening to the DDM and the JH16 at CanJam, I would say that the 2 way dynamic DDM sounded just as pleasing to me as did the 8 armature JH16. Looking at the prices, this is absolutly jaw dropping. Now all I want is a manufacturer to fit in 3 well tuned dynamic drivers in an earphone, thus eliminating balanced armature competition up to 11 drivers. Top universal phone to me based purely on sound is the Radius DDM.

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 23

Quote:
I agree with the people who still prefer one dynamic driver, even over 3 balanced armatures... for me, this translates to the thought that a dual dynamic driver earphone, as in My Koss KDE/250, or the Radius DDM, can easily compete with a 6 speaker per ear configuration, assuming all 6 are BA type. Listening to the DDM and the JH16 at CanJam, I would say that the 2 way dynamic DDM sounded just as pleasing to me as did the 8 armature JH16. Looking at the prices, this is absolutly jaw dropping. Now all I want is a manufacturer to fit in 3 well tuned dynamic drivers in an earphone, thus eliminating balanced armature competition up to 11 drivers. Top universal phone to me based purely on sound is the Radius DDM.

I'm glad you like the DDM that much.  Makes your audio quest simple and cheap in that case.  Sadly not so for me.

Jun 12, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #21 of 23
I've always hated the SE530 and have never even considered it a top tier universal. If I had to chose a great universal in the general price range of the Se530 I woud choose the UM3X which in my opinion is clearly a few levels above the SE530 and my other favorites like the Tf10.

Jun 12, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #22 of 23
I'm looking forward to hearing the SM3 decay.  Might change my mind about BAs finally as it has w/ so many DD folk around these parts.

I too have yet to hear the SM3. I am also a dynamic fan. I usually do not like BAs as much even with triple driver and all because the low end is usually lacking and sound tends towards lean rather than lush, and if I'm not looking to be analytical i typically prefer lush.

I really like the SM2, though. I haven't heard the SM3 yet but the SM2 was incredible. Aside from fitting my ears perfectly, the SM2 was lush and delicious unlike the typical armature. I definitely prefer it over the SE530.

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:
I've always hated the SE530 and have never even considered it a top tier universal. If I had to chose a great universal in the general price range of the Se530 I woud choose the UM3X which in my opinion is clearly a few levels above the SE530 and my other favorites like the Tf10.

You want to elaborate on that?

I'm not butthurt - I don't even own it at all and I have never listened to it. I'm just curious as to why you have so much hate for it yet you don't explain why.

How would the Super Fi 5 Professionals rate (and lack) compared to some of the earphones? I just want a two-sided perspective of it. I am well-aware that they're not in the same league as some of these but I want to know why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back