Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 21, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #15,902 of 15,986
Yes I have those files only missing the phase one, the speaker most far is at 3.7mts
That shouldn't be a problem...

I'm sorry... I try out the async file for you.. But my wife has homeschooling session right now.

Mar 21, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #15,905 of 15,986
John, what is she teaching you today? 😉
The usual... Respect and patience! 😊

But for my son (11yr old) it's a busy day.

Apologetics (youth level).
Mathematics (percentages, decimal and fraction conversion).
Bird watching, feeding and cataloging.
KiwiCo Pinball Machine build.
30 minutes of independent reading (39 Clues).
Egyptian History (biblical context).
Winter sewing and seed harvesting.
Basic Handgun Safety.

Yep... She's awesome!

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #15,906 of 15,986

Basic Handgun Safety.

Yep... She's awesome!
That’s quite the eclectic curriculum!

Mar 21, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #15,907 of 15,986
Thank you! Ill wait, if you set the async let me know if the realiser reacts when level cal tones are used or if you can set the mic Gain value, appreciate a lot the help :)
Ok... So I quickly rain async file room49... I too am seeing similar results... Even with the volume quite high.

20240321_130733.jpg
20240321_130811.jpg
20240321_131104.jpg

As you can see... The mic gain did increase to 3 after level calibration.. but the recording levels did not even come close to the green.

I wish I could help more... But I need to go to sleep. I work nights.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #15,908 of 15,986
Thank you! Ill wait, if you set the async let me know if the realiser reacts when level cal tones are used or if you can set the mic Gain value, appreciate a lot the help :)
Ah... If your system is level matched and calibrated... One thing you can do is... Sit at the main listening position with the mics in your ears. During the level calibration (not noise.wav) portion of the video... Turn up the volume on the AVR until the levels are in the green. If you system is calibrated... You should only need to do this for one channel. Once you verify that the levels are in the green (no red)... Stop the async measurement and restart it. Then restart the async video.

If I recall... (It's been a while)... The volume of the async video is low. So you will need to compensate for it with the volume of the AVR.

When you do the initial noise.wav audio... You are adjusting the volume of the AVR... Not the async file playing through the AVR.

I think this will fix you up.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #15,909 of 15,986

Basic Handgun Safety.

Yep... She's awesome!

Terrific Law around have. You do sound lucky

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #15,910 of 15,986
Ok... So I quickly rain async file room49... I too am seeing similar results... Even with the volume quite high.

20240321_130733.jpg
20240321_130811.jpg
20240321_131104.jpg

As you can see... The mic gain did increase to 3 after level calibration.. but the recording levels did not even come close to the green.

I wish I could help more... But I need to go to sleep. I work nights.
Seems like realiser wont understand the tone signals, in my case won’t show the level calibration red square when running Level_cal.wav I tried with the room49 video and singles wav files, only the preamble seems to work, my process is:

Noise.wav for set the AVR volume at the white line then press ok and run pll_cal.wav nothing happened and ran level_cal.wav, nothing happened, only the preamble seems to be recognized

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #15,911 of 15,986
So, If the unit is shipped by FedEx and has custom clearance issue, just provide the item's detail and suggested HSN number to paperwork@fedex.com and call 8883273395(9030) directly, let them know the required information has been provided. Then it should take another 2 days for the shipping. I just got my unit this afternoon.

IMG_4251 2.jpeg
IMG_4252.jpeg
IMG_4253.jpeg
IMG_4254.jpeg

At the moment, connecting to MacBook Pro M2 via HDMI, I failed to light up all the speakers with above settings, neither iTune Spatial Audio nor Netflix works, only light up the same 8 speakers. If I disable HDMI upmixer from Dolby Surround to Direct, then only 2 speakers will work. I've download macOS firmware but in the end the extension is blocked by the system and couldn't find a way to enable it. Any ideas?

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #15,912 of 15,986
So, If the unit is shipped by FedEx and has custom clearance issue, just provide the item's detail and suggested HSN number to paperwork@fedex.com and call 8883273395(9030) directly, let them know the required information has been provided. Then it should take another 2 days for the shipping. I just got my unit this afternoon.

At the moment, connecting to MacBook Pro M2 via HDMI, I failed to light up all the speakers with above settings, neither iTune Spatial Audio nor Netflix works, only light up the same 8 speakers. If I disable HDMI upmixer from Dolby Surround to Direct, then only 2 speakers will work. I've download macOS firmware but in the end the extension is blocked by the system and couldn't find a way to enable it. Any ideas?
You can't get bitstream Atmos from a Mac. The Mac will always decode the audio before sending it out. You should get an Apple TV 4K instead (and remember to turn lossless on - it's quite hidden). However, to get improved experience from the Mac, you should set the primary output device to the A16 (HDMI), and set Dolby Atmos to Automatic in Apple Music (NOT Always On). Also, open Audio MIDI Setup and choose the speaker layout. Since HDMI is limited to 8ch PCM you won't be able to select an Atmos layout. But, perhaps by doing these settings you'll get more channels active. And note that the song in Apple Music also has to be Atmos.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #15,913 of 15,986
I’ve not used HDMI out of my Mac. But, using Loopback to Audacity, I have to go into the Audio MIDI Setting (in the App/Utilities folder) and do “configure speakers” and setup 5.1/7.1/7.1.2 (whatever I want to use, it seems to default to stereo). You can verify that Apple Music is indeed sending multiple channels by looking at the Loopback VU bar meters.

Cutting the problem in half first. If you go into Test mode in the A16 and then press the various speaker keys do you hear sound out of the expected virtual speakers?

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #15,914 of 15,986
I’ve not used HDMI out of my Mac. But, using Loopback to Audacity, I have to go into the Audio MIDI Setting (in the App/Utilities folder) and do “configure speakers” and setup 5.1/7.1/7.1.2 (whatever I want to use, it seems to default to stereo). You can verify that Apple Music is indeed sending multiple channels by looking at the Loopback VU bar meters.

Cutting the problem in half first. If you go into Test mode in the A16 and then press the various speaker keys do you hear sound out of the expected virtual speakers?
In MIDI setting there are 7.1/5.1.2 etc. option, but this is the limit. There is no 24Ch support in MIDI setting, then how can I utilize the 24Ch function if I am going to connect with MacBook? Or should I connect to Apple TV, PS5, or dedicated UHD player? But I am planning to listen to Streaming music through macOS, sometimes watching TV series or movies... Can I upmix the audio source to all the 24Ch? The factory test is totally normal, every speakers right on the spot. So probably the macOS' issue I guess.

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #15,915 of 15,986
Maximum channels from my Mac using HDMI is 7.1. I get 5.1 from Netflix etc. Not sure if you can get more using USB. I upmix everything using Auro 3D - works well for music, TV and movies. My main use case is streaming stereo rock, jazz and classical music - the quality of sound using Auro upmixing and John’s Omega speaket PRIR is outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back