Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 19, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #15,886 of 15,987
Most of what you are asking is not possible directly (only through the IR commands), and certainly not mirroring the screen. Read through the TCP Command document - only commands that are listed there are possible. Which is basically an app version of the IR remote plus better input & preset handling, and a complete speaker map mute/unmute.
So there's no feedback from the A16 to the Centro app. Things like the volume level, number of the current preset, input being used, whether the preset is using the Atmos or the Auro 3D room, whether each speaker in the layout is outputting something, what's being used for input on the preset. None of that will be available in real time through the app? And the app won't reflect any changes to the input, headphone EQ used? None of that? Just a dumb remote with only some of the functionality of the full remote with the Apple touchscreen to make it look pretty?

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #15,887 of 15,987
So there's no feedback from the A16 to the Centro app. Things like the volume level, number of the current preset, input being used, whether the preset is using the Atmos or the Auro 3D room, whether each speaker in the layout is outputting something, what's being used for input on the preset. None of that will be available in real time through the app? And the app won't reflect any changes to the input, headphone EQ used? None of that? Just a dumb remote with only some of the functionality of the full remote with the Apple touchscreen to make it look pretty?
On the contrary, the Centro app has several screens, including levels playing (across each channel), speaker layout, headtracker angles (useful for setup), presets and which room/speaker combination is used, Volume level etc. So it absolutely does include feedback and data from the A16. It's far from perfect, but it's free, and I have found it very useful, especially for preset navigation, as selecting presets 1-12 is so much easier than the Smyth remote.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #15,888 of 15,987
On the contrary, the Centro app has several screens, including levels playing (across each channel), speaker layout, headtracker angles (useful for setup), presets and which room/speaker combination is used, Volume level etc. So it absolutely does include feedback and data from the A16. It's far from perfect, but it's free, and I have found it very useful, especially for preset navigation, as selecting presets 1-12 is so much easier than the Smyth remote.
Well that does make it worthwhile. Does it require you input the numeric IP codes on the number pad on the main screen to invoke common remote commands each time you use those commands, or can you program the Centro app, so for example it can use the common commands like "back" or "left" or 'adj +" without having to input them as numbers?

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #15,889 of 15,987
Here's the reference document from Smyth about the TCP server: A16-IP-command-server-May-2020-1.pdf

There are two tables. One is a complete set of all the buttons on the IR remote. The other table is where the value add comes in:
  • Direct input source selection
  • User A and User B Preset selection (numeric, e.g. 1-16)
  • Firmware info
  • Levels (with updates every 0.5 seconds orso)
  • User A and user B info (volume, active input, preset name, hpeq, layout etc etc) - this is the only source of data that can replace looking at the screen
  • HT angles
  • Speaker map which shows the layout, active speakers, and where you can solo or mute any of them
That's all there is. There is nothing there which would assist in anything under the Settings (HPEQ, PRIR etc). All of that will still be controllable using the equivalent of the IR remote buttons, but in my testing this is simply best left to the IR remote itself as it responds the fastest. IR commands over TCP (in an app) have about a half second minimum delay, whereas on the IR remote you can get it down to as fast as your fingers can push the buttons.

One thought i did have is to add a built-in IP cam stream viewer. One could then take any IP camera (or a raspberry pi + a webcam) and point that to the display, configure the IP camera address in the app alongside the A16 IP, and then you'd have visibility of the screen within the android/ios app. But it's really a hack, so it would be optional.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #15,890 of 15,987
Here's the reference document from Smyth about the TCP server: A16-IP-command-server-May-2020-1.pdf

There are two tables. One is a complete set of all the buttons on the IR remote. The other table is where the value add comes in:
  • Direct input source selection
  • User A and User B Preset selection (numeric, e.g. 1-16)
  • Firmware info
  • Levels (with updates every 0.5 seconds orso)
  • User A and user B info (volume, active input, preset name, hpeq, layout etc etc) - this is the only source of data that can replace looking at the screen
  • HT angles
  • Speaker map which shows the layout, active speakers, and where you can solo or mute any of them
That's all there is. There is nothing there which would assist in anything under the Settings (HPEQ, PRIR etc). All of that will still be controllable using the equivalent of the IR remote buttons, but in my testing this is simply best left to the IR remote itself as it responds the fastest. IR commands over TCP (in an app) have about a half second minimum delay, whereas on the IR remote you can get it down to as fast as your fingers can push the buttons.

One thought i did have is to add a built-in IP cam stream viewer. One could then take any IP camera (or a raspberry pi + a webcam) and point that to the display, configure the IP camera address in the app alongside the A16 IP, and then you'd have visibility of the screen within the android/ios app. But it's really a hack, so it would be optional.
There must be a stand alone IP camera stream viewer app which would enable you to point an IP camera, have it play on any Android device, mirroring the Smyth screen, and just continue to use the regular remote. Still a pain having the camera, but at least you get it on a tablet instead of using something like the HUE and sending it to your PC via a USB cable.

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #15,891 of 15,987
After some personal issues and covid problems finally im be able to return to the realiser and many other projects,

Tried to measure my Home Theater setup in asynchronous mode but seem the LevelCal wav wont works since my realizer wont recognize the tones and wont enable the red square with level cal" label on it so i can't set the mic gain.

Since the mic gain is 0, i tried to raise the volume but still wont reach the green zone, i don't wish to push more volume to the speaker im afraid of fried them, any suggestions? the preamble works fine and the reliser responds to the tones.

The trouble is with the mic gain, i'm on the 2.14 firmware, thank you for your help, and is nice to be back, regards!

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #15,892 of 15,987
After some personal issues and covid problems finally im be able to return to the realiser and many other projects,

Tried to measure my Home Theater setup in asynchronous mode but seem the LevelCal wav wont works since my realizer wont recognize the tones and wont enable the red square with level cal" label on it so i can't set the mic gain.

Since the mic gain is 0, i tried to raise the volume but still wont reach the green zone, i don't wish to push more volume to the speaker im afraid of fried them, any suggestions? the preamble works fine and the reliser responds to the tones.

The trouble is with the mic gain, i'm on the 2.14 firmware, thank you for your help, and is nice to be back, regards!
Have you tried raising the mic gain manually?

12.1.4.2 SVS Mic gain Sets the gain of the binaural microphone during the PRIR and HPEQ measurements. The mic gain may need to be increased to boost the binaural microphone signals if the recorded signals are too low in volume. This would normally become apparent during the loudspeaker calibration routine.
Screenshot_20240321_083949_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #15,893 of 15,987
Have you tried raising the mic gain manually?

12.1.4.2 SVS Mic gain Sets the gain of the binaural microphone during the PRIR and HPEQ measurements. The mic gain may need to be increased to boost the binaural microphone signals if the recorded signals are too low in volume. This would normally become apparent during the loudspeaker calibration routine.
Screenshot_20240321_083949_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Thank you for the reply, appreciate!, Yes I tried several times but in Async mode seems the manual mic gain won’t work, starts in zero

in async seems the realiser wants the tones to setup the level cal, but even when used the test tones from the shared google files or the realiserclub the level cal tones won’t fire up the process, any other form to cal the mic? I can’t reach the green zone even when turn up the volume more than 75db 😬 btw I tried with other mics and seems they work well

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #15,894 of 15,987
Thank you for the reply, appreciate!, Yes I tried several times but in Async mode seems the manual mic gain won’t work, starts in zero

in async seems the realiser wants the tones to setup the level cal, but even when used the test tones from the shared google files or the realiserclub the level cal tones won’t fire up the process, any other form to cal the mic? I can’t reach the green zone even when turn up the volume more than 75db 😬 btw I tried with other mics and seems they work well
Oops... Nevermind... Be right back.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #15,895 of 15,987
Are you using the async files from the Realiser Club? Or have you built your own?
Used at first the realiser club video for 9.1.6 setup when found it won’t work I look for the individual files from the google shared folder, the tones that tell to realiser how many speakers to measure works well since the realiser listen and set the 9.1.6 at the end of tones, but the prior steps seems won’t work

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #15,896 of 15,987
Used at first the realiser club video for 9.1.6 setup when found it won’t work I look for the individual files from the google shared folder, the tones that tell to realiser how many speakers to measure works well since the realiser listen and set the 9.1.6 at the end of tones, but the prior steps seems won’t work
There is an initial noise.wav track... This track plays before level calibration. It sets the initial volume of your system... I don't think it is part of the Room49.mp4 file.

14.1.1 Async Noise The first track that is played by the DVD/DAW is a 60 second white noise signal recorded at a specific signal level. The user adjusts the speaker playback volume level to achieve a certain level at the A16 SVS microphones. This is a first step at optimising the A16 record levels, finer optimisation is conducted using the Level Calibration track.

Have you tried this?

I can send it to you if you don't have it.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #15,897 of 15,987
I am pretty sure you will see this test mentioned in Gilles instructions for the async file procedure.

He talks about turning up the volume of your system to a very loud level... I don't recommend this... It's not necessary.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #15,898 of 15,987
There is an initial noise.wav track... This track plays before level calibration. It sets the initial volume of your system... I don't think it is part of the Room49.mp4 file.

Have you tried this?

I can send it to you if you don't have

I have it from the google shared folder from here (noise.wav, level_cal.wav, pll_cal.wav, preamblex_wav) only missed the phase locking track .

My procedure is, the noise file to use it at the first screen the one with ideal level one green bar and white line to set the volume level of my system then press ok and pass to the measure screen when a head is looking forward and then play the level_cal.wav but nothing happens, if I play the preamble, the realiser wake up and shows a red square with the label “reading setup” after that begin the sweeps since I cannot set the mic gain, my system won’t reach the green zone that’s my concern, thank you!

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #15,899 of 15,987
I am pretty sure you will see this test mentioned in Gilles instructions for the async file procedure.

He talks about turning up the volume of your system to a very loud level... I don't recommend this... It's not necessary.
Yeah I saw that, i turned the volume at high level but seems dangerous for the speakers since they’re at the risk of broken (happened more than once)

but in normal listen level I cannot reach the green zone, then the realiser won’t draw the white line around the measured speaker

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #15,900 of 15,987
I have it from the google shared folder from here (noise.wav, level_cal.wav, pll_cal.wav, preamblex_wav) only missed the phase locking track .

My procedure is, the noise file to use it at the first screen the one with ideal level one green bar and white line to set the volume level of my system then press ok and pass to the measure screen when a head is looking forward and then play the level_cal.wav but nothing happens, if I play the preamble, the realiser wake up and shows a red square with the label “reading setup” after that begin the sweeps since I cannot set the mic gain, my system won’t reach the green zone that’s my concern, thank you!
Just out of curiosity... How far are your speakers from the main listening position?

FYI... These are the individual files (not in order) that are necessary.

Screenshot_20240321_112149_My Files.jpg

I'll check back in about an hour... Time for cardio. 😩

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back