Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 17, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #15,856 of 15,986
Gentlemen, if I were to publish an app for the A16 that does basically the same as the Centro Control app, but now it's native Android (and possibly IOS too if a lot of you are iphone users) - would you use it?

If yes, would you pay $9.98 for it? If not, why not or how much instead? And on which platform, Android or IOS?

I've been meaning to do this for a while because i can't see the screen from where I'm sitting. However, i'd have to get someone else to write most of it since I'm not a mobile app dev; I'm on the server side. Hence the price.
If I ever get my realiser I would get that for IOS.

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #15,857 of 15,986
Gentlemen, if I were to publish an app for the A16 that does basically the same as the Centro Control app, but now it's native Android (and possibly IOS too if a lot of you are iphone users) - would you use it?

If yes, would you pay $9.98 for it? If not, why not or how much instead? And on which platform, Android or IOS?

I've been meaning to do this for a while because i can't see the screen from where I'm sitting. However, i'd have to get someone else to write most of it since I'm not a mobile app dev; I'm on the server side. Hence the price.
I would absolutely pay that for the finished product. What I would want to see is an app that mirrored what was on the A16's screen, so I could use my Kindle as my remote, but anything that could enable me to do anything would certainly be worth $10 to me. Just don't make it a Kickstarter.

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #15,858 of 15,986
I would absolutely pay that for the finished product. What I would want to see is an app that mirrored what was on the A16's screen, so I could use my Kindle as my remote, but anything that could enable me to do anything would certainly be worth $10 to me. Just don't make it a Kickstarter.
Yes, this exactly. Just a built-in A16 web server that simply displayed the BMP capture of the A16 screen when you hit refresh would be a huge help.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #15,859 of 15,986
Changing layouts/rooms and playback modes and gain for each speaker in a room from the phone sounds worth 10 alone, wireless app to work everything else would be a bonus.
I wouldn't be the party pooper for the iOS users, as I'm on
Android, so Maybe iOS first,

I really appreciate the willingness

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #15,860 of 15,986
Unfortunately the commands are limited. Normal operations - selecting a preset, volume level, looking at speaker levels - is well represented. But where I most need to watch the screen, during operations such as measuring a PRIR, building a listening room, or building a CXPRIR , the command set is limited to an app having to use a set of remote key presses (up/down/left/right arrow, enter, and so forth) in order to navigate into, say, the app menu and selecting the desired item. Dead reckoning as it were, with lots and lots of debugging likely necessary to ease those operations in an app. A good job of those sort of tasks would be worth more than $9.98, although I believe without access to screen dumps or the underlying data it would not be possible to show everything going on during, say, a PRIR. Or allowing a good interface for building listening rooms or CX’s.
Actually during HPEQ adjustment (manloud), the TCP interface doesn't even work. That was my initial plan a year orso ago, to make that a better user experience.

What I've done in the past is to set up a webcam pointed to the screen and connected to a raspberry pi with go2rtc on it. I can then set up an mjpeg camera stream and see it on my phone or tablet. But that's only needed when going into settings etc, and it's rather cumbersome to deal with every time. But that paired with e.g. Logitech Harmony gets you a long way.

There is a function in the A16 to write a bmp of the screen to the sdcard, so in theory it might be possible to add a feature to fetch the screen over tcp. But not sure if that will get implemented (or when). Could always ask though, as that would make it much more versatile - but with the caveat above that TCP commands simply do not work in all menus, at least in my testing.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #15,861 of 15,986
@infernix: A more user friendly way to control the volume(s) would be on my request list.
Maybe +5 and -5 plus +1 and -1 buttons? (The app would have to give repeated +1 or -1 TCP commands for the +5 and -5 I guess.)

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #15,863 of 15,986
Actually during HPEQ adjustment (manloud), the TCP interface doesn't even work. That was my initial plan a year orso ago, to make that a better user experience.

What I've done in the past is to set up a webcam pointed to the screen and connected to a raspberry pi with go2rtc on it. I can then set up an mjpeg camera stream and see it on my phone or tablet. But that's only needed when going into settings etc, and it's rather cumbersome to deal with every time. But that paired with e.g. Logitech Harmony gets you a long way.

There is a function in the A16 to write a bmp of the screen to the sdcard, so in theory it might be possible to add a feature to fetch the screen over tcp. But not sure if that will get implemented (or when). Could always ask though, as that would make it much more versatile - but with the caveat above that TCP commands simply do not work in all menus, at least in my testing.
I already do that. I have the Hue HD usb camera pointed at the screen, but what I would want is to actually just find a way to mirror the screen to an Android device without pointing a camera at the screen. Then you could still continue to use the supplied remote and see the results in real time on the Android tablet.

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #15,864 of 15,986
I already do that. I have the Hue HD usb camera pointed at the screen, but what I would want is to actually just find a way to mirror the screen to an Android device without pointing a camera at the screen. Then you could still continue to use the supplied remote and see the results in real time on the Android tablet.
Like i mentioned, only if Smyth would implement a mechanism in the TCP server that allows us to fetch a screenshot of the screen. Today this is not possible. The TCP server only supports 2-character hex commands and only returns ASCII text, so I have my doubts that it is possible at all to transmit binary.

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #15,865 of 15,986
Like i mentioned, only if Smyth would implement a mechanism in the TCP server that allows us to fetch a screenshot of the screen. Today this is not possible. The TCP server only supports 2-character hex commands and only returns ASCII text, so I have my doubts that it is possible at all to transmit binary.
Of course it would be possible, with base64 or similar encoding.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #15,866 of 15,986

Be so very careful, my friend! The CRIMINALS at Smyth Research, who have stiffed us Kick-Starter & Pre-Order customers since at least the year 2017 by not delivering to us over the pond customers in particular, our A16s in GUARANTEED WORKING ORDER, may be so inclined to sue you somehow for copyright infringement of the A16's functionality!

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #15,868 of 15,986
Ordered one but stuck in Memphis, and receive the message:

“Description provided is insufficient to classify commodity.Recommended action: Shipper or Importer must provide a more detailed description of goods.”

Does anyone had same experience? What should I do?

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #15,869 of 15,986

“Description provided is insufficient to classify commodity.Recommended action: Shipper or Importer must provide a more detailed description of goods.”

If it was shipped via UPS...

Email madieknight@ups.com she is in the customs department... Hopefully after sharing your details with her.. she can help.

After 03/31... In an effort to reduce costs... UPS will be reducing the workforce by 12000 employees... All UPS phone support will be exported to India.

You can try calling 866-493-7140... But you will most likely be sent to a call center outside the US... If so... Hang up and call back.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #15,870 of 15,986

In an ideal world you would contact Smyth and they'd sort it out as it's their package. I suggest you try that and hopefully they don't ignore you. I would guess they've used an inaccurate HS code. When mine arrived, I forget the exact HS code but it was for some sort of parts instead of an actual finished product. Got me into trouble when I had to send it in for repairs and I tried to use the same HS code.

I would just call the device a headphone amplifier. I don't think there's any need to be more specific than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back