Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 12, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #15,751 of 15,986
If anybody would like to trade the rack mount realiser for their headstand, please let me know. I am, I'd be willing if we have the identical hardware revision.. I have an inkling maybe Litlgi74 could manage the exchange for us, potentially for a small fee, so neither party might have required a costly formal escrow-service.

My unit is still under warranty, if that helps appeal the deal...

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #15,752 of 15,986
Hi,

Does anyone have a pair of in ear microphones that I can buy from? I bought a used A16 but it didn't have the microphones. I've reached out to James but I wanted to see if someone has a pair to get them faster.

Thanks

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #15,753 of 15,986
Of course. I could lend you mine, are you in the states?

I have all my hpeqs, and everything is set up already on my Unit. I can help. Let me know your address in pm.

Good thing to ask, glad for you. I'll include all the foams, too Of course.

While you have them I would try to test with your own prirs if you have the opportunity as well, just because you have them on hand and might not get the opportunity ever again if James doesn't re;...

If they break, you've got to cover another set!! If the terms are ok, agreed;: Will drop in the mail tomorrow morning.
What's your address? You can refund me after I send them for the post.

Will send them in three antistatic bags priority. You should have them on Thurs. or Friday.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #15,754 of 15,986
Of course. I could lend you mine, are you in the states?

I have all my hpeqs, and everything is set up already on my Unit. I can help. Let me know your address in pm.

Good thing to ask, glad for you I'll include all the foams, too Of course.

While you have them I would try to test with your own prirs if you have the opportunity as well, just because you have them on hand and might not get the opportunity ever again if James doesn't re;...

If they break, you've got to cover another set!! If the terms are ok, agreed;: Will drop in the mail tomorrow morning.
You rock! PMed

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #15,755 of 15,986
@Fox88: Do you have the 'grounding wrist strap' that normally comes with each A16?
As I understand it (from @Litlgi74) you should always wear that (and have it connected to the A16) when handling the microphones, otherwise you risk damaging them...

(I must say I didn't always do that myself, because the manual doesn't state it exactly like that, and because I used to think it was just to avoid noise during measurements or something like that.)

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #15,756 of 15,986
Not Fox, but.... I confess I've almost never worn the grounds trap and never damaged or harmed any of the mics, but I am very careful not to generate any static electricity when I do this foolhardy work, lol, task, Am definitely paranoid I'll damage the mic, but not yet, yep. Include strap ... check

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #15,757 of 15,986
@Fox88: Do you have the 'grounding wrist strap' that normally comes with each A16?
As I understand it (from @Litlgi74) you should always wear that (and have it connected to the A16) when handling the microphones, otherwise you risk damaging them...

(I must say I didn't always do that myself, because the manual doesn't state it exactly like that, and because I used to think it was just to avoid noise during measurements or something like that.)
I think the manual specifies several times what the grounding wrist strap is used for
p. #11: 17. Grounding wrist strap (for earthing body during PRIR measurements)

p. #13-14: Grounding wrist-strap (used during SVS microphone use to protect against static discharge damage)

p#15: Earth – for use with the wrist grounding strap (supplied) during PRIR measurements to reduce body induced hum

In addition, in the video tutorials one can see how and when the grounding wrist strap is used
e.g.,
0:05 First plug the ESD cable into the A16 earth point at the rear of the product

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #15,758 of 15,986
Does anyone know if the Sofabaton Universal Remote has had Smyth Realiser codes released for it. If not, is it possible to obtain those codes from the Smyths and upload them to the Sofabaton?

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #15,759 of 15,986
Does anyone know if the Sofabaton Universal Remote has had Smyth Realiser codes released for it. If not, is it possible to obtain those codes from the Smyths and upload them to the Sofabaton?
I just checked and it's not in the Sofabaton database. The Sofabaton can learn codes from the original remote. You can also try requesting from Sofabaton that the codes be added - I did this for a 20-year-old obsolete piece of audio gear and the codes showed up the next day - don't ask me how they did that!

Is your remote not working or are you just trying to reduce the number of remotes? I have a Sofabaton and still use 5 other remotes!

Feb 14, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #15,760 of 15,986
I just checked and it's not in the Sofabaton database. The Sofabaton can learn codes from the original remote. You can also try requesting from Sofabaton that the codes be added - I did this for a 20-year-old obsolete piece of audio gear and the codes showed up the next day - don't ask me how they did that!

Is your remote not working or are you just trying to reduce the number of remotes? I have a Sofabaton and still use 5 other remotes!
Trying to reduce the number of remotes. I don't realistically expect the SB to replicate all the functions of each remote, but input selection, volume, power, and a few other basic functions would enable me to at least put 4 of them in the tv stand drawer.

Feb 14, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #15,761 of 15,986
Trying out the A16. HPEQ done. I’m getting lots of distortion in the heavy bass moments in a movie. Interstellar is really distorting during the bass moments. This is happening using both the BBC room and the Surrey room.
I’ve not changed any bass settings from the default.
Headphones are the Sennheiser HD800s
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #15,762 of 15,986
HPEQ done. I’m getting lots of distortion in the heavy bass moments
-Is the distortion less at lower volumes, or the same at all volumes?
-What happens if you use a factory provided HPEQ, you get distortion then or only with the HPEQ that you measured yourself? (Just trying to figure out if something is wrong with the HPEQ that you measured, or something else).

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #15,763 of 15,986
Trying out the A16. HPEQ done. I’m getting lots of distortion in the heavy bass moments in a movie. Interstellar is really distorting during the bass moments. This is happening using both the BBC room and the Surrey room.
I’ve not changed any bass settings from the default.
Headphones are the Sennheiser HD800s
Any help would be appreciated.
Glad to hear you got your machine back!

I've watched Interstellar a few times now. And while there are some bass heavy scenes... There were none that I would describe as distorted.

As far as the bass distortion you are experiencing.. I have some questions...

Interstellar is a DTS 5.1 mix... Are you using Auro-3D to upmix? If so... What strength setting are you using.. The range is 1 - 16. Do you have LFE +10 enabled?

Hope we can figure this out for you.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #15,764 of 15,986
-Is the distortion less at lower volumes, or the same at all volumes?
-What happens if you use a factory provided HPEQ, you get distortion then or only with the HPEQ that you measured yourself? (Just trying to figure out if something is wrong with the HPEQ that you measured, or something else).
Distortion is when I go over 65 volume. This happens on my HPEQ and the factory HPEQ.

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #15,765 of 15,986
Glad to hear you got your machine back!

I've watched Interstellar a few times now. And while there are some bass heavy scenes... There were none that I would describe as distorted.

As far as the bass distortion you are experiencing.. I have some questions...

Interstellar is a DTS 5.1 mix... Are you using Auro-3D to upmix? If so... What strength setting are you using.. The range is 1 - 16. Do you have LFE +10 enabled?

Hope we can figure this out for you.
Hi
Using DTS-X upmixer as I don’t have Auro.
LFE +10 is enabled by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back