Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 8, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #15,721 of 15,987
The link for 'warranty' under the support section is not working. *Sigh*
Unfortunately... It never has worked.

I too was looking for answers when I needed to send my A16 to Ireland for repair.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #15,722 of 15,987
Periodically folks ask about alternatives to HD800s headphones, particularly when they are looking to save a bit of $ after an A16 purchase.

Tonight I just tried out a pair of brand new Sony MDR-MV1 headphones. Like the HD800s they are open back. Just $398 (from Crutchfield). Sony advertises them for 360RA and HiRes Audio. They come with a 2.5m long cable (1/4” plug) as well as an adapter to 3.5mm. The cable is detachable from the left earpiece, where the 4-conductor plug allows for a balanced connection if desired (balanced cable sold separately). Very light, just 7.9 oz vs 11.6 oz for the Sennheisers.

After making fresh HPEQ files for both the MDR-MV1 and my HD800s, I configured my A16 to use the Sennheisers on PA and the Sonys on PB. Although they are both about the same sensitivity (100 dB/mW) they have very different input impedance (Sony: 24 ohms, Sennheisers: 300 ohms) and so I had to run the gain down on the Sony headphones relative to the HD800s to match volume levels. Also during the HPEQ I saw some red on the A16 display with the Sony headphones. I measured an HPEQ at a lower level (no red, only green) by using a S/PDIF connection to my AVR and adjusting the volume, but I can’t tell any difference between the two HPEQs.

In A:B comparisons on a variety of music, it was frankly hard to tell much difference. The HD800s have a slightly wider soundstage for me, but the various virtual speakers in both were well separated in space. Center channel out of head was about the same. The Sony headphones are slightly boomier in the bass but not uncomfortably so; switching to the HD800s the slight drop in the bottom end made the sound a bit thinner but with better clarity in the upper ranges.

The ear openings on the HD800s headphones are larger and allow my full ear to be inside the outer foam. The smaller openings on the MDR-MV1 headphones (symmetric as opposed to ear-shaped) means they don’t envelope my ears. Both are comfortable and seem equivalently light. The HD800s headphones would be better for me for longer periods because of the better fit to my head.

All in all, amazing to me that $398 Sonys are a very competitive match to $1800 Sennheisers. I was hoping for a good second pair so that both my wife and I could listen simultaneously, and this was definitely a good choice. I have not yet compared the stereo performance of the two, only various surround formats (Atmos, DTS-X 7.1, PCM 5.1) out of the A16.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #15,723 of 15,987
I was poking around the Smyth website as I get the urge every so often to just pay the difference between the preorder price and a unit right now.

The link for 'warranty' under the support section is not working. *Sigh*

Doesn't give me a lot of confidence about adding 3k to an already frustrating purchase.
On the positive side, Smyth have honoured their warranty to a number of users on this site (in my case after more than two years from purchase). Also, Smyth is based in Northern Ireland, and all sales are covered by the UK Sale of Goods Act which gives you legal rights and warranty protection. So the manufacturer warranty wording may be less important than first appears.

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #15,724 of 15,987
Sony MDR-MV1
How does it handle loud bass and loud deep bass? No audible distortion negatively impacting the out-of-head feeling?
(That is what sometimes happens with my HD650 and HD58X).

By the way: has anyone succesfully tried wireless headphones with the A16? By now there also exist some higher end wireless headphones, anyone tried?

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #15,725 of 15,987
How does it handle loud bass and loud deep bass? No audible distortion negatively impacting the out-of-head feeling?
(That is what sometimes happens with my HD650 and HD58X).
I did A:B tests at very loud volume of the following (comparing HD800s to the MDR-MV1):

Sirius from Alan Parson’s Eye in the Sky (DTS-HD)
Knife Edge from ELP’s first album (DTS-HD)
Also sprach Zarathustra opening movement (4.0)
Bach the 4 Great Toccatas and Fugues (E Power Biggs at the Muenster in Freiburg) (5.1)
Saint-Saëns Symphony No. 3 “Organ”, 3rd and 4th Movements (Kansas City Orchestra) (5.1)

The Organ Symphony is the best test, as it has very distinct L/C/R and tons of deep and loud bass that comes and goes as the organ and/or percussion hits. Always a good house shaker, particularly the 4th movement. I did not achieve audible distortion that had an onset with the organ coming in on either set of headphones, going as loud as I could stand. Perhaps a bit of raggedness (fuzz?) but in the upper registers and no effect on out-of-head or position of the virtual speakers. Interestingly “fuzz” at very loud volumes varied as to whether it was more pronounced in the HD800s or the MDR-MV1 headphones depending on which piece of music. Both held up well, but one would typically be better than the other on a given piece. Symphony No 3 is better (just barely) on the MDR-MV1, but both ELP and Alan Parsons sound cleaner on the HD800s.

I don’t typically listen at such high levels. At my more normal levels, the two headphones are very close in sound quality for me.

So I would say that despite slightly richer/boomier bass on the Sony headphones, they competed well. Overall the Sennheiser’s are still better - cleaner sound, more comfortable - but hard to complain about the Sony’s given they are a relative bargain.

Even though I noted in the first post on this topic that Sony markets these for HiRes and 360RA, I neglected to mention that these are what Sony pushes for professionals using their 360vme (“virtual mixing environment”). A full 360vme setup involves a personalized HRTF/PRIR measurement at a Sony facility using in-ear mics.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #15,726 of 15,987
Saint-Saëns Symphony No. 3 “Organ”, 3rd and 4th Movements (Kansas City Orchestra) (5.1)

The Organ Symphony is the best test, as it has very distinct L/C/R and tons of deep and loud bass that comes and goes as the organ and/or percussion hits. Always a good house shaker, particularly the 4th movement. I did not achieve audible distortion that had an onset with the organ coming in on either set of headphones, going as loud as I could stand. Perhaps a bit of raggedness (fuzz?) but in the upper registers and no effect on out-of-head or position of the virtual speakers. Interestingly “fuzz” at very loud volumes varied as to whether it was more pronounced in the HD800s or the MDR-MV1 headphones depending on which piece of music. Both held up well, but one would typically be better than the other on a given piece. Symphony No 3 is bettier (just barely) on the MDR-MV1, but both ELP and Alan Parsons sound cleaner on the HD800s.
Since you are an owner of this piece of music (and I'm assuming also a LOVER of it, as am I), I share with you what I feel to be THE BEST SOUNDING recording I've ever come across (and I own 9 different versions, although all are old 2.0 stereo CD versions, not a modern 5.1 version): Paul Paray conducting the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Marcel Dupre organist. Originally recorded on October 12, 1957 at Ford Auditorium in Detroit, on 1/2-inch 3-track tape machines and using two Telefunken M56 microphones and one Telefunken 201 microphone. It was originally available on vinyl on the Mercury label, as Mercury Living Presence SR90012. It has been released on the Mercury label over the past 70 years combined with several other pieces of music.

In 1991 Mercury converted it from 3-track to 2-track for release as stereo on CD, as Mercury 432 719-2 which is the version I have. There are 7 currently available CDs for sale on Discogs if you are interested, priced from $6 up to around $50 and shipping from US and other worldwide locations.

My introduction to and history with this particular piece of music goes back to my freshman year at MIT when I was living in an on-campus dorm. This was 1962, when we had "record players" or "hifi" (if we were rich), and collected 33" vinyl albums. Living in the dorm room next to mine was a sophomore student (majoring in electrical engineering, I remember distinctly) who DID own a "hifi" and apparently had discovered and acquired the original vinyl version of this recording relatively soon after it was released.

And without fail every Friday afternoon to mark the end of another hard school week and the arrival of the upcoming weekend and "party time", he would open the door to his room so that the entire hall could hear that 4th movement and the organ, and absolutely BLAST AWAY at as high a volume as he could tolerate. This ritual became a weekly tradition for all the students living on that dorm floor, and everybody would come out of their rooms to drink beer or shmooze and enjoy this remarkable piece of music.

And so that's how I first heard this piece, and this particular 1957 Marcel Dupre recorded version. The organ itself is an Aeolian-Skinner instrument presented to the city of Detroit by the Josephine and Ernest Konzler fund in memory of Henry and Edsel Ford. The concerts preceding this particular recording session marked the first public use of this instrument. Marcel Dupre was invited by his friend, conductor Paul Paray, to play as part of the dedication of the new organ. Before this 1957 recording Dupre had last appeared in Detroit back in 1927 for the dedication of another organ housed in Orchestra Hall, where many of Mercury's early recordings of Paray and the Detroit Symphony were made.

So that's the story. I have introduced friends and family to this specific recording of Saint-Saens Organ Symphony No.3, sharing it played on my own home very good 2.0 loudspeaker sound system. And I still occasionally play it for myself on a Friday night or weekend day (when my own neighbors won't mind) through real speakers on my own modern "hifi"... AS LOUD AS I CAN BEAR IT! Brings back the days and memories of my youth and college, and all those wonderful times.

Listening through A16 and SR-009 headphones is certanly wondertul. But there is nothing like listening to the 4th movement of this piece of music played by Marcel Dupre on that specific instrument and this specific 1957 analog recording. Just magical.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #15,727 of 15,987
Just got the realiser on Thursday. Finally set up and running, Thanks to Litlgi74,

Something interesting about the Omega 65, 96, and "other" prirs. (The 15.1.8 playing is my own 75 x 75ft 39channel cinema prir captures)

The omega 96 is Like, Perfect. The 65 is real Killer too, and I may even Prefer 65 against the 96 if I want to sacrifice that perfect balance of fidelity, To spatial --PERFECT'ion that 96 perfectly manages to have.

For the 96, I would appreciate 2 more center channels, or Fronts, very much. The 65 rectifies my needs best though. 3 channels in front is enough at 65 inches.

I #do-want two more channels in the front, for Omega 96 (spatial virtualization and fidelity mixed effect is perfect for the 96, but i would like 2 more fronts, whoch the realiser couldn't accomodatw without exchanging for the "extra" Two OH speakers). But the extra 2 OH channels in Sully are fantastic too. I think the OH is more impressive, but the 2 channels in front are more valuable. They also are more impressive -on the whole- on an as-is basis for me. I think many would still like the OH just about as-much though.

With omega 65, 3 Fronts are definitely enough. For the omega 96, I would like 2 more front channels!
Atmos, in Ear Monitors that are also closed that do a Great job at conveying a FANTASTIC Stage to play atmos through...

Here is something pretty darned cool... IN EAR MONITOR electrostatic drivers fit the mics for an accurate Hpeq... Private and "portable" Dolby Atmos and Auro 3d has arrived. ..!

HD 800 and 007 both have their strengths... HD800 wins though. The SR 003 closed back does a very good job too by the way to those interested.

For 009S vs HD800, I'm betting I'd prefer 009S for virtualization... but have to check yet against HD 800 SDR It has been awhile since I've had the Realiser... and 009S... together

Glad to have a Realiser again. My Thanks need to go out to Ciggavelli for a Really fantastic unit

The Realiser is a fantastic Hobby unit. Really fantastic, and greatly useful.

The ONLY two things yet I have to do... figure out how to get Tidal atmos tracks to play without a firestick to a recycled Imac display.... and importantly, how to try upscaling 2.0 pcm from Tidal or spotify, or youtube to Auro 3d 13.1s' room....

I would really like to yet try it running the upscale for standard 2 channel lossless... plus the atmos

I have not tried the Stax Lambda Signature yet... but 007 and HD 800 are enough. The IEM is a pleasure to use and have properly equalized!! And just to repeat again, I think (the) 009S (-furthermore) bests them all for amazing spatial virtualization and finesse of the signal.. that the others can't beat when both requirements are combined.

Using iEMs for such accurate Atmos (Etc,) is really impressive, to me however. Also. For those who have not tried the 003 with the CES1 plastic backings, the backings really shake things up for your 003. They are worth trying out, for certain. They make a stage you cannot find anywhere else in any other iem, but that makes sense, given that with the backings, they are ULTRA large IEMS, both cavity And driver sizes' being spoken of.

Attachments

• 20240210_074134.jpg
    20240210_074134.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240210_015123.jpg
    20240210_015123.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240210_074044.jpg
    20240210_074044.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240210_062937.jpg
    20240210_062937.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210321_170753.jpg
    20210321_170753.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240210_080752.jpg
    20240210_080752.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210321_171059.jpg
    20210321_171059.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #15,728 of 15,987
If anyone would like to trade a rack mount realiser for their headstand unit, I would consider trading...

I like the headstand form factor, but the rack mount is stable anywhere it sets itself down. I dunno, the rack mount is impressive though as it commands the form factor and is very professional.

Wishing the realiser could do 25 channels for 14.1.10. I think that would be a great speaker Layout [5 Front channels]
That would be the nail on the head imo for thw Omega 96 Space, 65" does 👍 with just 3 fronts.

For the atmos 15.1.8 Cinema captures, the extra (theater) space necessitates the extra 2 rsc, lsc channels... helps tie in the theater space-A a lot more impressively. Than only 3 Fronts to work around.

Thank you for checking out the posts on-of My-the "return of the Realiser." Saga

Edit' : addendum

Since I've been gone auro 3d and dts-x are working for 2.0 channel audio and 5.1 , 7.1 upcoversion/mixing through auro 3d.

I watched some of Troy (Direct-Cut 5.1, and Cast Away, 2000, 5.1) in the Omega 96 Space, in an-the upmixed auro3d 13.1 channel room and color me IMPRESSED by Auro 3d.

Each theater speaker features a ribbon tweeter and two 6.5" drivers. All Focal pointed to the CENTER seat of a small [what you want] Form Factor 75 x 75 or 80ft theater.

I will get photos of the theater in the coming day. Or two.

It has been awhile since I have been there. It's the New Vinyard UT Dolby Atmos Theater, a 39 channel... cinema\theater

Every single point source (38 channels) features a ribbon tweeter and two 6.5 or 7.5" drivers. They are [have the best dispersion pattern] the best atmos speakers for the cinema footprint possible. You'll understand whenever I get around to picking up photos of the theater.

The fact that the cinema is professionally equalized and Focal-pointed at the center Seat (because it is a small-format Atmos cinema, -but with especially good speakers) sweetened the pot when I took the measurements in Febr. 2021

I'll go snap some pictures today. Will update later this evening,

it is good to see everybody still here. Edit 3: going 120 miles to the theatre to get photos of the room. And the speaker arrangement/speakers mounted, behind screen and in-theater-cinema room.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #15,729 of 15,987
Listening through A16 and SR-009 headphones is certanly wondertul. But there is nothing like listening to the 4th movement of this piece of music played by Marcel Dupre on that specific instrument and this specific 1957 analog recording. Just magical.
Great story, thanks for sharing. I will check out that version. The “Organ” has always been one of my father’s favorites (reasons below) and is a must “desert island” piece in any collection.

I attended a different STEM school, Harvey Mudd, and still in 1977 we had hifi setups and listened to 33 RPM records (our licorice pizza collections). If a student owned a car, that asset counted against calculations for financial aid, but stereo gear did not. Consequently some of those pre-engineers and pre-scientists went all out. Phase Linear made a killing selling power amps to HMC students, and Nakamichi likewise. We had a tradition during finals weeks called “noisy hours”; noise in the 4 dorms (HMC had an enrollment of only about 500 when I attended, so the dorms were pretty cozy) was strictly forbidden all week for studying. Except for 15 minutes every night from 10:00 to 10:15 PM, when all students did their best to make as much noise as possible. The music of choice was the 1812 Overture (the section with the canons). Many pairs of speakers were blown out during those activities.

When I was growing up my EE father did work on the side with an inventor buddy who was in to all things audio-visual. His company, the “More with Less Institute” (he was also a Buckminster Fuller fan) sold bookshelf loudspeakers, with the crossover designed by my dad and a lot of the assembly by me. Acoustic suspension designs were all the rage, supposedly better than ported cabinets. The inventor and my father found an old 50’s text on acoustics, and came up with an acoustic suspension cabinet where the woofer faced downwards to a channel (3/4” maybe?) formed between the base of the cabinet and the base of the speaker cavity. The speakers were inexpensive (free for me!), fairly compact, and they sounded great. But, the design also caused my father to obsess about bass performance on his HiFi, thus his love of the 3rd Symphony. The era of subwoofers had not hit yet, so bass rendition was strictly the domain of the two stereo speakers.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #15,730 of 15,987
Looks like I am stuck on firmware rev. 2.12 Oct 02 2022 on my A16s (24ch).
No matter which firmware I try to install (2.15 or 2.17), I get the same 2.12.
I do "Full restore" before and after the firmware upgrade.
Even tried downgrading to 2.11, but the final result is the same.

Maybe someone have experience with this type of issue? Or can advise how to overcome this issue?

P.S. I was waiting for this firmware with Auro 3D updates, before purchasing the license.

Smyth Realiser A16 > upgraded to 24ch (France dealer "Av-In"):
-SD card supported max to 16 GB in FAT32.
-Firmware must be extracted inside the “REALISER” folder.

Firmware 2.12:
-Auro3D works from Listening Rooms > Loading: only Auro3D.
Perfect to try out Auro3D up-mixer with PCM, DD and other formats. I find a great boost in low end with my old HD800 SDR - more bass punch overall.
P.S. with ATMOS, I use: Settings > System > Audio settings > APM bass +6 to 10 dB (and + Listening Rooms > hplav LFE +10dB).
Of course the more advanced settings are not active: Settings > System > Misc settings > Auro listening mode and etc. License must be acquired!
-No issue with imbalance during PRIR and HPEQ measurements. Checked once again!

Firmware 2.17: no more support of Auro3D up-mixer without license. You must acquire it in order to be able to up-mix all other formats with Auro 3D up-mixer. Otherwise A16 will use PCM rooms.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #15,731 of 15,987
Smyth Realiser A16 > upgraded to 24ch (France dealer "Av-In"):
-SD card supported max to 16 GB in FAT32.
-Firmware must be extracted inside the “REALISER” folder.

Firmware 2.12:
-Auro3D works from Listening Rooms > Loading: only Auro3D.
Perfect to try out Auro3D up-mixer with PCM, DD and other formats. I find a great boost in low end with my old HD800 SDR - more bass punch overall.
P.S. with ATMOS, I use: Settings > System > Audio settings > APM bass +6 to 10 dB (and + Listening Rooms > hplav LFE +10dB).
Of course the more advanced settings are not active: Settings > System > Misc settings > Auro listening mode and etc. License must be acquired!
-No issue with imbalance during PRIR and HPEQ measurements. Checked once again!

Firmware 2.17: no more support of Auro3D up-mixer without license. You must acquire it in order to be able to up-mix all other formats with Auro 3D up-mixer. Otherwise A16 will use PCM rooms.
What was wrong that you previously couldn't update the firmware beyond 2.12?

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #15,734 of 15,987
Just got the realiser on Thursday. Finally set up and running, Thanks to Litlgi74,

Something interesting about the Omega 65, 96, and "other" prirs. (The 15.1.8 playing is my own 75 x 75ft 39channel cinema prir captures)

The omega 96 is Like, Perfect. The 65 is real Killer too, and I may even Prefer 65 against the 96 if I want to sacrifice that perfect balance of fidelity, To spatial --PERFECT'ion that 96 perfectly manages to have.

For the 96, I would appreciate 2 more center channels, or Fronts, very much. The 65 rectifies my needs best though. 3 channels in front is enough at 65 inches.

I #do-want two more channels in the front, for Omega 96 (spatial virtualization and fidelity mixed effect is perfect for the 96, but i would like 2 more fronts, whoch the realiser couldn't accomodatw without exchanging for the "extra" Two OH speakers). But the extra 2 OH channels in Sully are fantastic too. I think the OH is more impressive, but the 2 channels in front are more valuable. They also are more impressive -on the whole- on an as-is basis for me. I think many would still like the OH just about as-much though.

With omega 65, 3 Fronts are definitely enough. For the omega 96, I would like 2 more front channels!
Atmos, in Ear Monitors that are also closed that do a Great job at conveying a FANTASTIC Stage to play atmos through...

Here is something pretty darned cool... IN EAR MONITOR electrostatic drivers fit the mics for an accurate Hpeq... Private and "portable" Dolby Atmos and Auro 3d has arrived. ..!

HD 800 and 007 both have their strengths... HD800 wins though. The SR 003 closed back does a very good job too by the way to those interested.

For 009S vs HD800, I'm betting I'd prefer 009S for virtualization... but have to check yet against HD 800 SDR It has been awhile since I've had the Realiser... and 009S... together

Glad to have a Realiser again. My Thanks need to go out to Ciggavelli for a Really fantastic unit

The Realiser is a fantastic Hobby unit. Really fantastic, and greatly useful.

The ONLY two things yet I have to do... figure out how to get Tidal atmos tracks to play without a firestick to a recycled Imac display.... and importantly, how to try upscaling 2.0 pcm from Tidal or spotify, or youtube to Auro 3d 13.1s' room....

I would really like to yet try it running the upscale for standard 2 channel lossless... plus the atmos

I have not tried the Stax Lambda Signature yet... but 007 and HD 800 are enough. The IEM is a pleasure to use and have properly equalized!! And just to repeat again, I think (the) 009S (-furthermore) bests them all for amazing spatial virtualization and finesse of the signal.. that the others can't beat when both requirements are combined.

Using iEMs for such accurate Atmos (Etc,) is really impressive, to me however. Also. For those who have not tried the 003 with the CES1 plastic backings, the backings really shake things up for your 003. They are worth trying out, for certain. They make a stage you cannot find anywhere else in any other iem, but that makes sense, given that with the backings, they are ULTRA large IEMS, both cavity And driver sizes' being spoken of.
I'm glad my old A16 found a good home! I definitely wasn't using it to it's full potential because I don't watch movies. It was cool with 5.1 SACDs, but not that cool. I feel you could get the same effect with properly mixed albums. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #15,735 of 15,987
I'm confused... I use cards that are larger and smaller than 32gb.
Not for me. My version accepts only 16gB! Tried a bunch of SD cards - re-formatted and formatted.... till I get it work and this conclusion. For now, I am calm. Installed 2.17 and downgraded to 2.12. Will get my funds and sometime acquire Auro3D :)
P.S. already using Auro3D in my home cinema 7.1.4. Much better then Atmos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back