Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 29, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #15,646 of 15,989
UPDATE FROM THE SMYTH RESEARCH WEBSITE.

SVS Firmware (rev. 2.17 Jan 26 2024)

Issues fixed with this update

(version 2 mother boards)
1. Previously restarting from HDMI Standby caused contention in the initialisation routine resulting in a very long start-up time. This issue has been resolved.

(All hardware variants)
1. A 6dB error in the L-ear microphone gain setting during PRIR and HPEQ measurements was in advertently introduced in rev 2.15 May 19 2023. This has been fixed. If you plan to under take either of these measurements, please install rev 2.17 or newer.
2. Previously the listening room type did not always follow the LOADING selection found under theListening Rooms menu. For example, when set to ATMOS ONLY and with Auro3D up-mixingactive, often an Auro3D listening room was loaded instead of an Atmos room. This issue hasbeen resolved.
3. Previously when the HDMI audio stream type (Dolby, DTS, PCM etc) changed on the fly, the room type was not always automatically updated. This issue has been resolved.
4. The number of virtual speakers that can be added to a CX file has been increased to 64.
Thanks for the heads up...

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #15,647 of 15,989
Oh guys, I am getting real jealous reading of your experiences with this rare audio tool.
As one of those who have preordered the A16 years ago I am still waiting for my unit... not being sure that it will ever arrive.

Has anybody followed this thread long enough to know how far the delivery of those units has advanced? I have scrolled through some dozens pages of this thread not getting a hint. And comments on kickstarter seem to have seized as well...

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #15,648 of 15,989
Oh guys, I am getting real jealous reading of your experiences with this rare audio tool.
As one of those who have preordered the A16 years ago I am still waiting for my unit... not being sure that it will ever arrive.

Has anybody followed this thread long enough to know how far the delivery of those units has advanced? I have scrolled through some dozens pages of this thread not getting a hint. And comments on kickstarter seem to have seized as well...

Pretty sure only early official backers got theirs at the supporter prices active at that time. All of us like you and me and hundreds of others will either need to cough up the difference between our pre-order price and msrp of today to get it, or just consider our full pre-order payment lost.

I'm as furious as you'll no doubt be after reading that and everyone else in this camp. But I think too that's what Smyth has to do to continue to remain in business.

Jan 30, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #15,649 of 15,989
Has anybody followed this thread long enough to know how far the delivery of those units has advanced?
The answer is not at all. Smyth promises that will make good on the orders, but none have been shipped in years - there are still Kickstarter orders outstanding.

That said - if you can manage to ante up the price difference to the current price you won't be sorry. I feel that the A16 has reached maturity with 24 channel support and Auro-3D implementation (I use the upmixer and love it). The 3DSoundShop Omega PRIR is the icing on the cake if your home theater isn't first class and you can't find a cooperating friend or dealer with one to make your own PRIR.

Jan 30, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #15,650 of 15,989
I'm as furious as you'll no doubt be after reading that and everyone else in this camp. But I think too that's what Smyth has to do to continue to remain in business.
Thanks for your answer. No, I am not furious. I knew this order was a risk, even if the preorder seemed to be more binding and less risky than the kickstarter campaign.
But I share your impression that Smith has hardly another option. I was just hoping that, after delivery of units has gone up recently, they might have shipped a certain percentage to the backers…
That said - if you can manage to ante up the price difference to the current price you won't be sorry.
Unfortunately I can not afford this invest presently. I would for sure love to… because this lack of budget - and the waf - prevents me from having a really satisfying audio system here at home, which the realiser could compensate for to a certain degree.

But I will start saving and hope that msrp won‘t tise too quickly :wink:

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #15,651 of 15,989
Thanks for your answer. No, I am not furious. I knew this order was a risk, even if the preorder seemed to be more binding and less risky than the kickstarter campaign.
But I share your impression that Smith has hardly another option. I was just hoping that, after delivery of units has gone up recently, they might have shipped a certain percentage to the backers…

Unfortunately I can not afford this invest presently. I would for sure love to… because this lack of budget - and the waf - prevents me from having a really satisfying audio system here at home, which the realiser could compensate for to a certain degree.

But I will start saving and hope that msrp won‘t tise too quickly :wink:
Used A16’s do occasionally come up for sale.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #15,653 of 15,989
I had time to try experimenting again and I did not succeed. I made sure I used the user A optical output. Could someone try the connection aswell? Maybe my A-16 has a defect.

I use that output and it works for me. Can you connect a different source to your DAC to confirm that the issue is not with the cable or that input on your DAC?

Anyone else had issues with the optical output?

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #15,658 of 15,989
In my experience the optical outputs don't work in AV (speaker) mode. I tried to use them for a stereo downmix in the past with AV mode on but they were not active. Is it possible that you don't have the A16 set to headphone mode?

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #15,659 of 15,989
Yes with the optical cable and input. I tried two optical cables also.

Regarding headphone mode I need to check but I always had the headphones plugged into the front and had sound, whereas I never used speakers at all. It ought to be headphone mode.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #15,660 of 15,989
Yes with the optical cable and input. I tried two optical cables also.

Regarding headphone mode I need to check but I always had the headphones plugged into the front and had sound, whereas I never used speakers at all. It ought to be headphone mode.
Do you see the light in the cable? It should be a red light on the other end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back