Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 23, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #15,633 of 15,987
After discussing with a well respected A16 owner, I think I might sell my A16. I only use it for 5.1 SACDs and DVDAs, and it's really just not doing it for me. I don't watch movies really (I was a film major for a time as an undergrad, and new movies just suck compared to the older ones, so I stopped watching). I'll put it up on the classifieds, but if anybody is interested pm me.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #15,634 of 15,987
After discussing with a well respected A16 owner, I think I might sell my A16. I only use it for 5.1 SACDs and DVDAs, and it's really just not doing it for me. I don't watch movies really (I was a film major for a time as an undergrad, and new movies just suck compared to the older ones, so I stopped watching). I'll put it up on the classifieds, but if anybody is interested pm me.
Sorry to hear that the A16 isn’t doing it for you. I am surprised to see that you don’t use it for Blu Rays or for Dolby Atmos or Auro 3D. There’s been a considerable uptick in available music content in those formats.

My wife once asked me why I read mostly nonfiction. I told her that it was a result of my being an English literature major in college.

While I’m personally not looking to buy, you should post information about the specs and any upgrades(software and/or hardware) done for your A16 for people who might be interested. It would save you from having to answer the same questions over and over.

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #15,636 of 15,987
I read a few times that people use the A16 for Auro3D. Is it better then Atmos or dts-X? Where do you get the Auro3D upgrade?
I mainly use Auro3D as an upmixer. It has, in my opinion, far better flexibility than Dolby or DTS, and creates realistic surround for both movies and music. I particularly like the fact that it even works on older mono movies and music recordings. The firmware upgrade is available direct from James Smyth, and John at 3dsoundshop has some great Auro3D advice and a wide range of speaker setups to try out.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #15,637 of 15,987
I mainly use Auro3D as an upmixer. It has, in my opinion, far better flexibility than Dolby or DTS, and creates realistic surround for both movies and music. I particularly like the fact that it even works on older mono movies and music recordings. The firmware upgrade is available direct from James Smyth, and John at 3dsoundshop has some great Auro3D advice and a wide range of speaker setups to try out.
How much does the firmware upgrade cost?

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #15,640 of 15,987
[...]

I know that there are some blu-ray soundtracks to do the measurements in a home theater setting, but Smyth Research (in all their wisdom) has not released the soundtracks publicly. You would need to contact some French reseller and pay him tons of money to get those files. And even then it is a huge technical hurdle to get the files burned to a blu-ray disc. And what I have read from this forum, the measurement process with blu-ray is unreliable at best.
Those are mp4 files, and most people who can play back blu ray discs should be able to play them off USB sticks much easier. Can you point me to complaints about the lack of reliability when measuring with those files, since I made them and I'm not aware that there were any significant complaints. Also, compared to the Realiser A16, the ~100 EUR for a club realiser membership is not such a steep price - I consider that an acceptable compromise, since Giles did procure the necessary source files and verified that the results are working (we had to go through multiple iterations...).
And then you really need Sennheiser HD800 headphones which I don't have.
You don't. Good headphones are desirable, but not necessary.

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #15,641 of 15,987
Been waiting since Feb 2017 on a preorder. In December 2022, I got an email from James stating:
Our intentions are still to deliver the pre-order A16 as and when the semiconductor supply problems are worked out. Industry analysists have suggested this should be resolved by the end of 2023.

Still haven't gotten it. I watch 100% movies and no music. ***Anyways, what alternatives are there to the A16?**** I'm currently using: Airpod Max headphones, AppleTV 4k, Infuse Pro for Real Debrid streaming via Webdav primarily, but I also have Netflix, Disney Plus, Prime Video, Max, Paramount Plus accounts.

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #15,642 of 15,987
Been waiting since Feb 2017 on a preorder. In December 2022, I got an email from James stating:
Our intentions are still to deliver the pre-order A16 as and when the semiconductor supply problems are worked out. Industry analysists have suggested this should be resolved by the end of 2023.

Still haven't gotten it. I watch 100% movies and no music. ***Anyways, what alternatives are there to the A16?**** I'm currently using: Airpod Max headphones, AppleTV 4k, Infuse Pro for Real Debrid streaming via Webdav primarily, but I also have Netflix, Disney Plus, Prime Video, Max, Paramount Plus accounts.

The A8, but it's strictly 5.1/7.1 and doesn't work with streaming and the Pioneer SE-DIR 8000, of which you can get relatively cheap on eBay.

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #15,643 of 15,987

The other option to consider would be APL Virtuoso software... Though I think for the consumer of films.. the out of your head experience may be "better" with your Airpod Max.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #15,644 of 15,987
UPDATE FROM THE SMYTH RESEARCH WEBSITE.

SVS Firmware (rev. 2.17 Jan 26 2024)

Issues fixed with this update

(version 2 mother boards)
1. Previously restarting from HDMI Standby caused contention in the initialisation routine resulting in a very long start-up time. This issue has been resolved.

(All hardware variants)
1. A 6dB error in the L-ear microphone gain setting during PRIR and HPEQ measurements was in advertently introduced in rev 2.15 May 19 2023. This has been fixed. If you plan to under take either of these measurements, please install rev 2.17 or newer.
2. Previously the listening room type did not always follow the LOADING selection found under theListening Rooms menu. For example, when set to ATMOS ONLY and with Auro3D up-mixingactive, often an Auro3D listening room was loaded instead of an Atmos room. This issue hasbeen resolved.
3. Previously when the HDMI audio stream type (Dolby, DTS, PCM etc) changed on the fly, the room type was not always automatically updated. This issue has been resolved.
4. The number of virtual speakers that can be added to a CX file has been increased to 64.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back