Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #15,617 of 16,010
I don't think the latter is true. All versions should do 4k60 18Gbps.
Yes you are right, I was confused. (I remember people wanting to use 120 Hz frame rate, but of course this can be done with the newer A16 thanks to eARC: connect the source directly to the TV and send the audio to the A16 via eARC. If you have a TV that supports eARC with the audio codec that you need to use.)

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #15,618 of 16,010
Jan 16, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #15,619 of 16,010
I just need to get my post count up to 15
Then tell us a few things. Have you used your A16? Did you do any PRIR and HPEQ measurements? What hardware version is your A16? (Three questions, so three posts easily to answer them...)

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #15,622 of 16,010
Then tell us a few things. Have you used your A16? Did you do any PRIR and HPEQ measurements? What hardware version is your A16? (Three questions, so three posts easily to answer them...)
I have used my A16, but not very much because of many reasons. To enjoy the full power of Realiser A16, you need to have access to some studio or high-end home theater. And that is not even enough, the equipment needs to support 16 channels of analog inputs which is very, very rare. At the very least you need a room with decent sound treatment and at least one really good speaker with analog input. The measurement process is not straightforward and easy. It's really cumbersome and time consuming and you really need to understand how the measurement process work. To understand how the measurement process works, you really need to have deep understanding on how Realiser A16 works and all the little details within.

Because the measurement process is so involved, you need a lot of time to do the measurements properly. Like, days of time to do it properly. And don't even get me started on the UI/UX of this thing. You need to have a master's degree to understand how to navigate all the menus of this thing. Most of the features are hidden behind an awfully complex menu structure, clearly designed by a couple of engineers to whom user friendliness is just an afterthought.

I know that there are some blu-ray soundtracks to do the measurements in a home theater setting, but Smyth Research (in all their wisdom) has not released the soundtracks publicly. You would need to contact some French reseller and pay him tons of money to get those files. And even then it is a huge technical hurdle to get the files burned to a blu-ray disc. And what I have read from this forum, the measurement process with blu-ray is unreliable at best.

And then you really need Sennheiser HD800 headphones which I don't have. There is a reason why this product was not a commercial success. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of this product and I have made measurements of my own with my budget speakers. The product works as advertised and is a technological marvel. If only I had access to some studio or high-end home-theater, I would use the -beep- out of this thing. But I don't and it sucks. I love this thing but at the same time I'm very, very frustrated.

Thank you for listening my rant.

My Realiser A16 is the 16-channel headstand version, I was Kickstarter backer 36 or something. I have not purchased any additional codecs.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #15,624 of 16,010
I have used my A16, but not very much because of many reasons. To enjoy the full power of Realiser A16, you need to have access to some studio or high-end home theater. And that is not even enough, the equipment needs to support 16 channels of analog inputs which is very, very rare. At the very least you need a room with decent sound treatment and at least one really good speaker with analog input. The measurement process is not straightforward and easy. It's really cumbersome and time consuming and you really need to understand how the measurement process work. To understand how the measurement process works, you really need to have deep understanding on how Realiser A16 works and all the little details within.

Because the measurement process is so involved, you need a lot of time to do the measurements properly. Like, days of time to do it properly. And don't even get me started on the UI/UX of this thing. You need to have a master's degree to understand how to navigate all the menus of this thing. Most of the features are hidden behind an awfully complex menu structure, clearly designed by a couple of engineers to whom user friendliness is just an afterthought.

I know that there are some blu-ray soundtracks to do the measurements in a home theater setting, but Smyth Research (in all their wisdom) has not released the soundtracks publicly. You would need to contact some French reseller and pay him tons of money to get those files. And even then it is a huge technical hurdle to get the files burned to a blu-ray disc. And what I have read from this forum, the measurement process with blu-ray is unreliable at best.

And then you really need Sennheiser HD800 headphones which I don't have. There is a reason why this product was not a commercial success. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of this product and I have made measurements of my own with my budget speakers. The product works as advertised and is a technological marvel. If only I had access to some studio or high-end home-theater, I would use the -beep- out of this thing. But I don't and it sucks. I love this thing but at the same time I'm very, very frustrated.

Thank you for listening my rant.

My Realiser A16 is the 16-channel headstand version, I was Kickstarter backer 36 or something. I have not purchased any additional codecs.
I was also an early Kickstarter backer and share your frustration with the poor UI and setup difficulty. Also printing the manual is almost essential, as are the YouTube setup videos. My own system was 2ch and I never had the time to do proper measurements, so the Smyth was almost unused for a long time.

What transformed my experience was:
A) acquiring some lighly used Sennheiser HD800 headphones;
B) from this Forum - finding some great (free) PRIRs for 16ch Dutch & Dutch and 8ch Genelec, plus 2ch Quad electrostatics;
C) Buying the Omega and other PRIRs from John at 3Dsoundshop - he has a great range of amazing speakers with studio measurements. Plus the Auro3D upmixer - for me the best way to watch movies AND transform 2ch music into realistic surround.

If you eventually decide to keep your A16, you may find you can have a huge impact on your listening experience without spending too much money.

Jan 17, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #15,625 of 16,010
Not me, but good find. I'm interested to see what happens here...
Your rant was well written and had lots of great points. High end hardware, not only in audio/visual, is often not a good match. I would think you’ll have little trouble getting a great price for your A16.

Just curious, but is the serial number of the form “A16HS1901#xxxxxx” or “A16HS2001#xxxxxx”. I ask because the particular HDMI and APM (the DSP board) hardware in the unit will be different, assuming you did not send your A16 in for a hardware upgrade. This will also affect the price.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #15,626 of 16,010
Your rant was well written and had lots of great points. High end hardware, not only in audio/visual, is often not a good match. I would think you’ll have little trouble getting a great price for your A16.

Just curious, but is the serial number of the form “A16HS1901#xxxxxx” or “A16HS2001#xxxxxx”. I ask because the particular HDMI and APM (the DSP board) hardware in the unit will be different, assuming you did not send your A16 in for a hardware upgrade. This will also affect the price.
Of course, with the A16 now selling for something like 5000 USD, you will more than make the 700 USD or so that you had originally invested via Kickstarter.

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #15,627 of 16,010
I think 2500 Euro is Way too much if it were a 16 channel realiser. Obviously, I'm in the market, but that's clearly way too much for a 16 channel edition without any dts-x or auro3d upgrades...

I would pay 2450 plus shipping and Paypal fees euro for a 24 channel edition. Not sure whether that would have DTS-X or Auro 3d.

If anyone has a realiser a16 or a8 they're looking to move, I have ears!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #15,628 of 16,010
I think 2500 Euro is Way too much if it were a 16 channel realiser. Obviously, I'm in the market, but that's clearly way too much for a 16 channel edition without any dts-x or auro3d upgrades...

I would pay 2450 plus shipping and Paypal fees euro for a 24 channel edition. Not sure whether that would have DTS-X or Auro 3d.

If anyone has a realiser a16 or a8 they're looking to move, I am ears!
I’m confused. Did anyone suggest listing a 16 channel A16 for $2500? I only stated that a seller could expect to easily get more than he or she paid during the Kickstarter campaign. 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back