Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 5, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #15,586 of 15,987
You probably mean the DAC 8 stereo because the pro only has USB and AES.
No I mean the Dac 8 Pro. I use a Canare BCJ-XP-TRB Spdif to AES transformer to adapt the A16 output for the Octo. Also requires an RCA to BNC adaptor to work with the Canare's input.

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #15,588 of 15,987
And I thought I had a complex setup :)
This is what it looks like. Fits on the end of the spdif cable.

https://reverb.com/item/77645848-ca...o-110-ohm-digital-audio-impedance-transformer

and the Rca to Bnc adaptor

1704479515684.png

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #15,589 of 15,987
Did you post the wrong URL here for the Canare adapter/transformer, to go along with that RCA-to-BNC adapter?

This link is for the "BCJ-XP-TRC XLR-3 Male to BNC Female 75 Ohm to 110 Ohm Digital Audio Impedance Transformer".

Your earlier post mentioned the "BCJ-XP-TRB Spdif to AES transformer" that I think you wanted to link to, for "Converts 110 Ohm AES/EBU to 0.5V 75 Ohm S/PDIF Levels"?

Am I wrong? Which one is correct?

"I use a Canare BCJ-XP-TRB Spdif to AES transformer to adapt the A16 output for the Octo. Also requires an RCA to BNC adaptor to work with the Canare's input."

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #15,590 of 15,987
Did you post the wrong URL here for the Canare adapter/transformer, to go along with that RCA-to-BNC adapter?

This link is for the "BCJ-XP-TRC XLR-3 Male to BNC Female 75 Ohm to 110 Ohm Digital Audio Impedance Transformer".

Your earlier post mentioned the "BCJ-XP-TRB Spdif to AES transformer" that I think you wanted to link to, for "Converts 110 Ohm AES/EBU to 0.5V 75 Ohm S/PDIF Levels"?

Am I wrong? Which one is correct?

"I use a Canare BCJ-XP-TRB Spdif to AES transformer to adapt the A16 output for the Octo. Also requires an RCA to BNC adaptor to work with the Canare's input."
I did. I ussse the BCJ-XP-TRB. The form factor is identical except for the terminations, of course.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #15,591 of 15,987
Anyone have any luck getting the coax or optical input to work on the A16..neither works for me and it looks like looking at the thread there at least have been some attempts to get it to work but no success.
Yes, those inputs work on my A16, or rather I remember I have used them succesfully in the past but it could be a few firmware versions ago that I last used them. I don't recall anyone reporting that they didn't work at all. I do remember that they didn't (always) support all sampling rates that they should according to the manual or the specs.
Some sort of A16 voodoo…after I tested the stereo in and I went back to the coaxial and it is working now….i wonder for how long though.
I hope very long, and otherwise that the same trick (switching to - analog - stereo input and back) will get it working again.

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #15,593 of 15,987
Reading the thread I’m just worried about how robust the units are especially considering the price.
I don’t think you should be too worried about some issues that may appear because you have a big advantage. Both Smyth Research and you are in the UK and I think that sending a package with a Realiser A16 unit for checking and repair in the same country (UK) is much easier than from the US, EU or elsewhere.

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #15,594 of 15,987
I don’t think you should be too worried about some issues that may appear because you have a big advantage. Both Smyth Research and you are in the UK and I think that sending a package with a Realiser A16 unit for checking and repair in the same country (UK) is much easier than from the US, EU
I have found Smyth to be responsive on repairs and being based in Northern Ireland means that they (and we) benefit from staying within both the EU and UK customs regimes. I have sent mine from Portugal with no problems and a rapid turnaround.

Overall, the Smyth is perhaps not as easy to use or robust as Japanese consumer kit, but certainly stands up to comparison with small boutique brands, in my experience.

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #15,596 of 15,987
Would the Sennheiser HD 650 or 660S2 headphones work well with the A16?
When I got my A16 I intended to use it with my HD650, but in less than a day I had ordered HD800s, which I'm very happy with.
The HD650's just didn't develop much of a soundfield for me.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #15,597 of 15,987
When I got my A16 I intended to use it with my HD650, but in less than a day I had ordered HD800s, which I'm very happy with.
The HD650's just didn't develop much of a soundfield for me.
Totally agree. I had an HD600 that didn’t work for me when paired with the A16. I picked up a used HD800 and never looked back. I’d say that(assuming that you’re not looking to buy new), that a gently used HD800 or HD800s would be the way to go. As everyone knows, it’s awesome for soundstage, but another real plus is its light weight. You’ll really appreciate not having a heavy weight sitting on your head when watching a 2 hour movie. Also, it doesn’t have a vise-like grip on your head. Lastly, it has more than adequate bass when paired with the A16.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #15,599 of 15,987
This is getting expensive 😢
Yup, it’s painful.

But just now I was listening to a virtual 10.1.6 setup, and the cost of the A16 + HD800s is quite a bit less than the equivalent physical AVR + speakers. You also get to tailor your virtual environments exactly as you’d like, which is not always an option otherwise.

The HD800s are awesome for non-A16 listening as well. I’ve also used inexpensive IEMs and cheaper headphones on my A16 and it’s still a great experience (in case you want to delay the extra outlay of funds).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back