Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 20, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #15,451 of 15,988
I am using it to feed 5.1 channels to Virtuoso / Blackhole - and they show up in Virtuoso as separate channels. Weirdly, the back / surround channels only show if I configure a 7.1 layout but I can see all 5.1 channels on my Mac.
CAn you send me the download for Blackhole? I want to see if they have a Windows version

Oct 20, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #15,452 of 15,988
CAn you send me the download for Blackhole? I want to see if they have a Windows version
For Windows you have to use something like Dante Via ($) to feed the individual multiple audio tracks to Virtuoso or use one of the free audio routers (I haven’t tried any yet so no recommendations).

VLC or Foobar2000 can render 5.1 or other multichannel (but not Atmos) to the multiple audio tracks that you then send to Virtuoso. For Atmos you need to obtain the Dolby Atmos Reference Player.

Oct 22, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #15,454 of 15,988
Screenshot_20231022_100649_TIDAL.jpg

What a wonderful surprise! Hopefully there is more to come.

https://tidal.com/album/317410295

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #15,456 of 15,988

What a wonderful surprise! Hopefully there is more to come.

https://tidal.com/album/317410295
The soundtrack isn’t much, but this take-off on the DaVinci Code is hilarious (South Park’s “Fantastic Easter Special”):

IMG_7959.jpeg

(BTW I live 25 miles as the crow flies from Fairplay, Colorado, the real life town in South Park that inspired South Park.)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #15,458 of 15,988
Hello :)
has anyone used the mic input on the Realiser? How does that work? And is it possible to use the mic of a headset connected to the A16 with a PS5 or XBOX Series X?

Thanks in advance for any information on this :)
If you mean the input labeled "game": I don't think it has ever become operational.
If you mean the inputs labeled "mics L/R": they are only for the in-ear-mics used for PRIR and HPEQ measurements. (Or in mode "listen to mics on headphone B" you can output the signal from those same mics, that is mainly for testing the mics).

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #15,459 of 15,988
If you mean the input labeled "game": I don't think it has ever become operational.
If you mean the inputs labeled "mics L/R": they are only for the in-ear-mics used for PRIR and HPEQ measurements. (Or in mode "listen to mics on headphone B" you can output the signal from those same mics, that is mainly for testing the mics).
Thanks for the reply. I meant „game“. forgot it was labeled that :) that’s unfortunate. Hopefully it’ll work once the low latency gaming mode is released.

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #15,460 of 15,988
It didn’t fade away, it wasn’t compatible with a windows update and stopped working. He claimed to be fixing it but never did, and never replied to inquiries.

I was not happy I gave him money. Perhaps once day if I ever get a realiser I’ll forget all about that :).
I bought a license and 2 presets and haven't received a response even though his website is still open.

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #15,462 of 15,988
As a UNIX guy I really don’t have much skin in the OSX vs Windows game as far as an HTPC goes (I use a jailbroken Oppo, Chinese Oppo Clones, an Apple 4KTV, a couple of home made ZFS NAS systems, Plex, an AVR, and one of the last passive 3D 4K TVs - no HTPC, although technically the Oppo‘s are running Linux). I am, OTOH, very interested in Virtuoso software on both platforms as a poor man’s (far cheaper) Realiser A16. It certainly checks many of the boxes, and perhaps can be even more immersive because of better head tracking support (I’ll know more after I play with the tracker that just arrived). Having gotten Virtuoso working on both my OSX and Windows boxes, I will observe that it’s easier to get going on the Mac, but it works fine on both platforms.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my A16. But it is not an option for many.

For what it’s worth, my Mac is an M1 Mini, with a pair of 4K displays. I don’t have a Netflix 4K subscription but I gather from support pages that I could indeed bring up 4K Netflix in the browser if I paid extra. The built-in Atmos renderer in the Mac OS sound system works great and beats having to deal with DRP and the like on Windows.
Where can you download Virtuoso for MacOS?

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #15,463 of 15,988
As a UNIX guy I really don’t have much skin in the OSX vs Windows game as far as an HTPC goes (I use a jailbroken Oppo, Chinese Oppo Clones, an Apple 4KTV, a couple of home made ZFS NAS systems, Plex, an AVR, and one of the last passive 3D 4K TVs - no HTPC, although technically the Oppo‘s are running Linux). I am, OTOH, very interested in Virtuoso software on both platforms as a poor man’s (far cheaper) Realiser A16. It certainly checks many of the boxes, and perhaps can be even more immersive because of better head tracking support (I’ll know more after I play with the tracker that just arrived). Having gotten Virtuoso working on both my OSX and Windows boxes, I will observe that it’s easier to get going on the Mac, but it works fine on both platforms.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my A16. But it is not an option for many.

For what it’s worth, my Mac is an M1 Mini, with a pair of 4K displays. I don’t have a Netflix 4K subscription but I gather from support pages that I could indeed bring up 4K Netflix in the browser if I paid extra. The built-in Atmos renderer in the Mac OS sound system works great and beats having to deal with DRP and the like on Windows.
Is this the website for Virtuoso?: https://apl-hud.com/product/virtuoso/

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #15,464 of 15,988
Is this the website for Virtuoso?: https://apl-hud.com/product/virtuoso/
Yes, that is the correct website.

You will also need audio loopback software, like the donateware Blackhole or the commercial Loopback, as VIrtuoso needs to be fed rendered multi-channel output. Use the Midi controller (check your Mac's application/utilities folder) to configure the MCH/Atmos renderer built-in to your Mac (e.g., to 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, 5.1.4, etc.). Configure Loopback or Blackhole to forward the same number of channels to Virtuoso. You can use Apple Music, VLC, web sources (such as Netflix) to output MCH sound.

Check upthread for the links to Michael Wagner's YouTube site where he demonstrates how to do playback on a Mac. He also uses a head tracker with Virtuoso, which may or may not significantly enhance your perception of the virtualization happening.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #15,465 of 15,988
I bought a license and 2 presets and haven't received a response even though his website is still open.
I’d work with your bank or credit card to get that reversed asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back