Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 24, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #14,791 of 15,988
John is the invaluable resource for providing PRIRs. He comes very highly recommended by everyone here and deservedly so since he's providing the software we need to realize the full value of our A16 purchase.

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #14,792 of 15,988
While I still wait for the preordered A16 to arrive, I tried using the Airpods Max and AppleTV 4k watching Atmos movies. its ok... I never feel like its like my old surround system using real speakers. (I dont think it pinponts objects in a 360 environment well.) For convenience, its great.. head tracking, wireless, comfortable to wear for hours at a time. Bass is good.

Is there anything better out there that I should try?

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #14,793 of 15,988
While I still wait for the preordered A16 to arrive, I tried using the Airpods Max and AppleTV 4k watching Atmos movies. its ok... I never feel like its like my old surround system using real speakers. (I dont think it pinponts objects in a 360 environment well.) For convenience, its great.. head tracking, wireless, comfortable to wear for hours at a time. Bass is good.

Is there anything better out there that I should try?
Maybe Out of Your Head if you are in an Apple environment. No longer works on Windows boxes and Darin seems to have given up trying to support it there. Can sound good with the right preset, and there are over 20 to choose from. Free trial involving 30 second listening samples, so you can see if you can find a preset that works for you. Based on old Smyth A8 Prirs obviously without headtracking.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #14,794 of 15,988
Maybe Out of Your Head if you are in an Apple environment. No longer works on Windows boxes and Darin seems to have given up trying to support it there. Can sound good with the right preset, and there are over 20 to choose from. Free trial involving 30 second listening samples, so you can see if you can find a preset that works for you. Based on old Smyth A8 Prirs obviously without headtracking.
I used it several years ago but had to leave it behind when I became a Windows orphan. The 30 second test samples certainly make auditioning easy. Other than that, only you can decide if you want to lay out the money given the customer service debacle that Windows users like me have had to endure.

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #14,795 of 15,988
I used it several years ago but had to leave it behind when I became a Windows orphan. The 30 second test samples certainly make auditioning easy. Other than that, only you can decide if you want to lay out the money given the customer service debacle that Windows users like me have had to endure.

Thanks guys, but I am watching movies on a 77" LG OLED tv, not a laptop. So looking for something that would work with a TV (like the A16 does)

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #14,796 of 15,988
Thanks guys, but I am watching movies on a 77" LG OLED tv, not a laptop. So looking for something that would work with a TV (like the A16 does)
You could of course receive the movies on the laptop, send the video via HDMI to the LG and the audio to your dac via USB. I've done that a lot, there are no lip sync issues, if that's what you are wondering and the newer laptops output 4K HDR video, so the picture looks great. A $20 Logitech keyboard works great as a remote for the laptop as well.

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #14,797 of 15,988
You could of course receive the movies on the laptop, send the video via HDMI to the LG and the audio to your dac via USB. I've done that a lot, there are no lip sync issues, if that's what you are wondering and the newer laptops output 4K HDR video, so the picture looks great. A $20 Logitech keyboard works great as a remote for the laptop as well.
Im one of those weird people... I use all Dell XPS 15 Windows 11 laptops running.. no apple laptops. So Out of Your Head sounds like a no go for me

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #14,798 of 15,988
Redscape is very good... But unfortunately, the owner closed shop. The software used to be $25.

Maybe if you email him... You could still get a license.

It's 7.1... and windows-based.

https://www.redscapeaudio.com/

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #14,799 of 15,988
This is probably head-smackingly obvious, but how do you get the Windows computer to output only video to the TV via HDMI? Or are you outputting video and audio and just muting the TV? If it's the latter, how does the computer know that you also want to output audio via USB to the DAC (or in my case, the A16) at the same time?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #14,800 of 15,988
This is probably head-smackingly obvious, but how do you get the Windows computer to output only video to the TV via HDMI? Or are you outputting video and audio and just muting the TV? If it's the latter, how does the computer know that you also want to output audio via USB to the DAC (or in my case, the A16) at the same time?
In the Windows settings you can simply select which audio output device to use. (I never used the USB connection to the A16 and am not sure it even works at the moment, but I did to other USB audio devices.)
It seems more logical to me to just use HDMI for audio to your A16, as far as I know that is also the only way to get Dolby Atmos, DTS X, or Auro 3D.
Just connect the HDMI out of the pc to an HDMI in on the A16, and the HDMI out of the A16 to your TV. Or use an HDMI splitter.

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #14,801 of 15,988
I have an LG OLED too and connect all of my HDMI devices to the TV and then the TV to my A16 thru the TV's ARC HDMI port. As long as I remember to always fully start the A16 before turning on the TV, it works great. That way, when I want to output sound on the TV speakers, I just change the TV's sound output option. Also, it allows me to use the TV's Bluetooth output for all my devices.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #14,802 of 15,988
In the Windows settings you can simply select which audio output device to use. (I never used the USB connection to the A16 and am not sure it even works at the moment, but I did to other USB audio devices.)
It seems more logical to me to just use HDMI for audio to your A16, as far as I know that is also the only way to get Dolby Atmos, DTS X, or Auro 3D.
Just connect the HDMI out of the pc to an HDMI in on the A16, and the HDMI out of the A16 to your TV. Or use an HDMI splitter.
We were talking about this in the context of OOYH for someone who doesn't yet have an A16 hence my suggestion to send audio to the DAC and video to the TV which will work if you don't have an eARC device.

Apr 26, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #14,803 of 15,988
We were talking about this in the context of OOYH for someone who doesn't yet have an A16 hence my suggestion to send audio to the DAC and video to the TV which will work if you don't have an eARC device.
Yes I know, sorry, I was just reacting to
(or in my case, the A16)

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #14,804 of 15,988
As someone who paid for this product I would never recommend it. It’s always been fussy and a little buggy, and has reached the point you mentioned where it flat out doesn’t work for windows. Darin has ghosted everyone for a long while, not even providing courtesy responses.

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #14,805 of 15,988
As someone who paid for this product I would never recommend it. It’s always been fussy and a little buggy, and has reached the point you mentioned where it flat out doesn’t work for windows. Darin has ghosted everyone for a long while, not even providing courtesy responses.
Ha, I thought you talked about the A16… 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back