Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 7, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #14,686 of 15,987
I meant for headphone/IEMs. Speakers have always given me a convincing panning and distance, be it 2.0 or more.

I understood it to mean that. It was just an aside/anecdotal experience. You mentioned non DSP, and I wasn't sure if two virtual speakers counted or not, since there are other gimmicks like Dolby Headphone that give a pretty good out of head experience, as well as mimicking a center, but it's not doing it in the same way the A16 does it, which is closer to actual speakers.

For typical stereo headphone use, it's always been inside my head, even with the touted HD800s. As far as closed-back headphones are concerned, I never had any issue wearing them, it's just that after discovering open-backed, I couldn't go back, as it were.

I don't generally listen to music or watch videos in public, so it's not really an issue.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #14,687 of 15,987
Are the settings and measurements headphone specific? For example, if I am using a hd800 and switch to a stax 009 are the differences beyond the speed and eq ability of the headphone?

Yes, another noob question from someone without a realiser yet :).

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #14,688 of 15,987
As far as closed-back headphones are concerned, I never had any issue wearing them, it's just that after discovering open-backed, I couldn't go back, as it were.

The DCA Stealth works really well with the A-16. I've tried a few closed backs with the A-16 and none of the others come close. The Focal Stellia was my previous pick for a closed back to use with the A-16, but the Stealth is much better. In terms of virtualization, the Stealth works better than most open backs. My personal top three open backs for the A-16, in order, are the Audeze CRBN, Stax 009, and the DCA Ether 2 with the Stealth not too far behind. Someday I need to pickup an HD-800 to try.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #14,689 of 15,987
Are the settings and measurements headphone specific? For example, if I am using a hd800 and switch to a stax 009 are the differences beyond the speed and eq ability of the headphone?
A HPEQ is headphone - and user - specific. You have to create a HPEQ for every headphone that you want to use (and every other user has to measure a HPEQ for every headphone he or she wants to use). But you can use one PRIR with different headphones (using different HPEQs), and you can use one headphone (with it's HPEQ) with different PRIRs (except a manLoud HPEQ, that is created in a manual procedure for a specific PRIR).
The HPEQ is for compensating the frequency response of the headphone (on your head).

A PRIR ideally is speaker-room-user specific. A PRIR measurement measures what sound enters your ears when playing test signals over speakers in a room. So it measures the net sum of changes/additions that happen to the signal by being played over the speakers, interacting with the room acoustics, and bending around your head and into your ears (head related transfer function, a direction dependent filtering of the sound). At playback time these same changes can be applied to any given input signal. If this changed signal was directly fed into your headphones, then the sound signature ("coloration") of your headphones would be "added" to (or rather applied on top of) the simulated room/speaker sound. To avoid that, the inverse EQ of the headphones has to be applied to the signal. That is what the HPEQ is for. And that is why in theory any headphone could be used, provided it can handle the heavily EQ'd sound with enough precision without distortion/overload. So the headphone needs to have certain qualities, but those are not necessarily all the same qualities that make a good headphone for normal use.

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #14,690 of 15,987
Brilliant, thank you!

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #14,691 of 15,987
Hi all, I need some help from your wise and experienced minds. I have already made and saved a few Man louds a few weeks ago. I have since downloaded the 10.12 version of the firmware for other reasons. Now, when I try to make a man loud, it does not save in the recycle buffer. I am also not able to save the changes I make to the name of one of my manloud files in the a16 hard drive to the SD card. It just shows up in the SD card with the name it had before I made the name change. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Dave

Mar 14, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #14,692 of 15,987
Hi all, I need some help from your wise and experienced minds. I have already made and saved a few Man louds a few weeks ago. I have since downloaded the 10.12 version of the firmware for other reasons. Now, when I try to make a man loud, it does not save in the recycle buffer. I am also not able to save the changes I make to the name of one of my manloud files in the a16 hard drive to the SD card. It just shows up in the SD card with the name it had before I made the name change. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Dave
First thing is take not of the time on the file. If it updated, you should have the time and date of the revision rather than the time and date the file was originally created. if so, write down on a piece of paper which layout it applies to. You need to do that b/c Smyth's file naming procedures for HPEQ's and PRIR's leave much to be desired. I find it best to go into the file after you've saved it to a windows drive and give it a descriptive name, so you can readily identify it b/c otherwise it will just have a name like HD 800 HPEQ which will make it difficult to distinguish from the HPEQ manloud you did for the Surrey Room vs the HPEQ namloud you did for the 24 channel KEF LS 50 setup, and make no mistake about it, those are two very different HPEQ manLouds.

Mar 18, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #14,694 of 15,987
Anyone managed to get a reply from James (Smyth)? Emailed him numerous times over the years regarding my pre-order placed in 2017.. received a reply in January 2023 offering a head stand unit.. replied his email and nothing after that.. despite sending him emails again in February and March.. this is very disappointing.. being scammed by a “reputable” company. Frankly at this point, I’ve totally lost interest in the A16, would prefer my money back.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #14,695 of 15,987
received a reply in January 2023 offering a head stand unit
What do you mean, that you could get one if you paid the difference with the current price in addition to what you already paid? Or something else?

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #14,696 of 15,987
What do you mean, that you could get one if you paid the difference with the current price in addition to what you already paid? Or something else?
Paid for a unit during their pre-order/kickstarter launch, paid in full in 2017 at their Kickstarter price. James offered to send me a unit when I emailed him (again) in January 2023. No response since I replied him.

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #14,697 of 15,987
Paid for a unit during their pre-order/kickstarter launch, paid in full in 2017 at their Kickstarter price. James offered to send me a unit when I emailed him (again) in January 2023. No response since I replied him.
Not that it really matters but I am still confused about your situation.
You do know that there is a big difference between kickstarter orders and pre-orders?
I don't understand what exactly James offered you:
1. that you get the unit within a few days if you payed the difference with the CURRENT price (US $4,695!!, maybe a bit less in january but still >$4,000 for sure)?
2. that you will get the unit eventually (without mentioning a time frame, or a very vague one)?
If it was something else than one of the above then I am very surprised.

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #14,698 of 15,987
It sounds like he received a reply that he would be sent his preorder unit, if he was alright with a headstand unit. Then no reply after he responded. I’m impressed he got any reply at all.

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #14,699 of 15,987
I just started looking at this thread after being away from it a bit. I looked at the last page and saw a discussion on IEMs with the Realiser. I use the Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered IEM with the A16 and it is better than using the Stax combo I originally got with the A8. No HPEQ needed. The IEMs need to be good obviously, but I personally think quality IEMs are the best partner with the Realiser. Also, I am very sad to see folks are still waiting on their Kickstarter units.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #14,700 of 15,987
I just started looking at this thread after being away from it a bit. I looked at the last page and saw a discussion on IEMs with the Realiser. I use the Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered IEM with the A16 and it is better than using the Stax combo I originally got with the A8. No HPEQ needed. The IEMs need to be good obviously, but I personally think quality IEMs are the best partner with the Realiser. Also, I am very sad to see folks are still waiting on their Kickstarter units.
I haven’t yet tried my Shure electrostatic IEMs with the A16 but will definitely have to experiment. How do you connect the head tracker with IEMs?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back