Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #14,311 of 15,988
Hey all. I am preorder 88 for November 2017 still waiting on my unit. Does anyone know where Smyth is on filling orders?
Also, I anyone using a wireless solution going from box to headphones? If so, which product?

Dec 2, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #14,312 of 15,988
And if I ever get my A16, I am wondering if there is somewhere here in the US I could either drive or fly into that would do the setup for me on the A16 and then load the custom PRIR's? Where that might be and what they would charge? I'm in southern Ohio.

I dont want to have to go back thry 900 pages of forum notes. I'm the type that wants a really good solution but not treak it all the time. I'm not that picky. 90% is good enough. Currently Im using AppleTV4k and Apple Airpod Max headphones to get me thru with some Atmos to a LG 77" OLED at 12 feet.

Dec 2, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #14,313 of 15,988
Hey all. I am preorder 88 for November 2017 still waiting on my unit. Does anyone know where Smyth is on filling orders?
Nothing changed since last time you asked.
And if I ever get my A16, I am wondering if there is somewhere here in the US I could either drive or fly into that would do the setup for me on the A16 and then load the custom PRIR's?
One possibility offered by @Litlgi74:
"in a professional recording studio conveniently located just 20 minutes from the Newark airport in New Jersey"
https://3dsoundshop.com/
In my opinion very expensive (sorry @Litlgi74), on the other hand his customers seem very satisfied from what I heard.

[Edit: Okay, I now understand he rents the studio for an entire day, starts preparing at 4am, etc.]

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #14,314 of 15,988
"in a professional recording studio conveniently located just 20 minutes from the Newark airport in New Jersey"
In my opinion very expensive (sorry @Litlgi74), on the other hand his customers seem very satisfied from what I heard.

It is very expensive, but it takes hours of work by @Litlgi74. Plus renting a quality recording studio for an entire day costs a lot of money. I don't think you are going to find someone with a recording studio to make you a custom PRIR of this quality for a lot less, but if you do, let us know!

Dec 2, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #14,315 of 15,988
It is very expensive, but it takes hours of work by @Litlgi74. Plus renting a quality recording studio for an entire day costs a lot of money. I don't think you are going to find someone with a recording studio to make you a custom PRIR of this quality for a lot less, but if you do, let us know!
I'm not looking for someone to do anything special. Just do the initial setup and then use a preexisting PRIR like the Omega.

Dec 2, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #14,316 of 15,988
I'm not looking for someone to do anything special. Just do the initial setup and then use a preexisting PRIR like the Omega.
I’m in the same boat as a preorder as well. I plan on flying out to @Litlgi74 for measurements if my realiser ever arrives. Investing a good amount of time and money already, so why not make it amazing? :)

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #14,317 of 15,988

It is possible 3DSoundShop would help you get started when you buy the Omega PRIR. You don't need to read this whole thread, but you will need to read (or at least skim) the manual. The A16 is a complex device and I don't think you can really get much use from it without diving in.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but it is mostly useful for people doing more advanced functions like creating their own PRIRs.

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #14,318 of 15,988
It is possible 3DSoundShop would help you get started when you buy the Omega PRIR. You don't need to read this whole thread, but you will need to read (or at least skim) the manual. The A16 is a complex device and I don't think you can really get much use from it without diving in.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but it is mostly useful for people doing more advanced functions like creating their own PRIRs.
Is anyone going wireless to the headphones? Maybe bluetooth or wireless? What unit are they using for BT/WIFI?

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #14,320 of 15,988
It should be clear by now that they are never going to fulfill the orders.
Where are you getting your information? I’m curious if this is your opinion based on timeline or if you know any thing I don’t know. Thank you!

Dec 2, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #14,321 of 15,988
Where are you getting your information? I’m curious if this is your opinion based on timeline or if you know any thing I don’t know. Thank you!
It seems like a reasonable conclusion after five years, which is beyond the normal lifecycle for most electronics. I'm pre-order number 29 and have no expectation of ever receiving the product.

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #14,322 of 15,988
It seems like a reasonable conclusion after five years, which is beyond the normal lifecycle for most electronics. I'm pre-order number 29 and have no expectation of ever receiving the product.
I hear you, but there is still a big difference between speculation and information. If it’s speculation there aren’t any flavors done through it.

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #14,323 of 15,988
5 years of not getting anything, their financial condition, the fact that James only responds to inquiries involving buying something....I mean I have no expectation of receiving it at this point. My only real resentment is the few updates we have received over the past years in which they pretend they still intend to honor presales, and the radio silence on inquiries, strike me as disingenuous at this point. C'est la vie, that's the risk with kickstarter and presales I guess.

I am happy for everyone enjoying their Realisers though!

Dec 2, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #14,324 of 15,988
Nothing changed since last time you asked.

I went through the process. It literally takes an entire day, and he's in the studio at 4am prepping after driving from Pa to NJ with all his equipment (including speakers and sub), and he can only do it on an Saturday or a Sunday b/c he works full time. And renting a studio is expensive (very).

But in the end you get a first rate product. I use my PRIR from John every day, it sounds great and works perfectly and flawlessly. If you have already spent $4k on the Realiser, then spending what John charges and realizing its full value is well worth it.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #14,325 of 15,988
5 years of not getting anything, their financial condition, the fact that James only responds to inquiries involving buying something....I mean I have no expectation of receiving it at this point. My only real resentment is the few updates we have received over the past years in which they pretend they still intend to honor presales, and the radio silence on inquiries, strike me as disingenuous at this point. C'est la vie, that's the risk with kickstarter and presales I guess.

I am happy for everyone enjoying their Realisers though!
I wouldn’t want to be just a defender of those from Smyth Research. It’s clear to me that they aren’t some scammers who just took advantage of the kickstarter campaign and then pre-orders. Unfortunately, several unfavourable circumstances occurred, which I think have enhanced each other to the detriment of the potential beneficiaries. I’m aware that I might be criticized that I’m already a proud owner of a Realiser A16 unit through the kickstarter campaign and that I don’t realize that the normal lifecycle for Realiser A16 is coming to an end, while there are still quite many who are waiting for their units.

Of course, despite of all these unfavourable circumstances, Smyth Research could’ve been more open to discuss with their supporters.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back