Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 15, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #13,771 of 16,011
Here’s an idea, just make four measurements swivelling around the chair and you’ll have a 7.0 system worth a cool 3 million $$$!

Seriously though, I’m very intrigued on hearing to what extent the A16 can reproduce a system like that. If it’s close, it’s crazy how good value it is.

I would also like to know, if your comfortable to disclose what your paying the store?
Believe it or not, I'm paying them nothing. I offered, but they declined and said they were just interested in the process. I'm going during a time the store is closed.

Jul 15, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #13,772 of 16,011
@VandyMan
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.
With my custom PRIR, the virtualization significantly improves over the stock BBC one. I attribute that to the quality of the speakers and, I think more importantly, the accuracy of the setup and measurement.

In addition to quality of loudspeakers and amplifier, the accuracy of setup and measurement, in my opinion the personal HRTF makes all the difference. Otherwise I could use your PRIR and would get a similar result. Unfortunately this is not the case. I remember the times when I had the AKG K-1000 and the BAP-1000.

A5D24D90-CAE2-4D6E-8271-A16F77C9944B.jpeg

You had nine presets of measurements with different ears and at a certain time there was the possibility to get your own personal measurement. While I purchased the K1000 new, I later bought the BAP 1000 used and at this time AKG no longer was willing to do this. If you want to read more about the BAP 1000 https://manual-hub.com/manuals/akg-acoustics-audiosphere-bap-1000-01-pdf-manual/

I hope that every Realiser owner tries to get a custom PRIR made (or makes one on their own). Preferably in a really good room.

I fully agree. In addition at least for me, I also need to do the manloud to get a convincing result. The HPEQ autoeq is just not enough for my ears.
It would be interesting to know if you also did a manloud later and if you have compared the results e.g. by creating two presets with one preset using the HPEQ from the autoeq and one using the manloud.

Jul 15, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #13,773 of 16,011
It would be interesting to know if you also did a manloud later and if you have compared the results e.g. by creating two presets with one preset using the HPEQ from the autoeq and one using the manloud.

I agree that a good HPEQ is necessary (even if you use the stock BBC PRIR). I have not had good results with manloud so far. I've been meaning to spend some more time trying to get it right, but have been too busy of late.

Jul 15, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #13,775 of 16,011
James has said that they intent to fill all KS and preorders, but haven't shipped any since Dec 2020, and unlikely to ship any in 2022 due to parts shortages and the need for full-price sales to keep the doors open. You can upgrade your order to full price and probably get one in short order.
This is seriously depressing. Thanx for the info tho. Probably time for me to try for a refund instead.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #13,776 of 16,011
This is seriously depressing. Thanx for the info tho. Probably time for me to try for a refund instead.
I would hope that they've made some revenue from the auro 3d upgrade, but that may only offset the cost of licensing. I sent an email to James a few days ago to check in, because I feel that once every 3 months is very reasonable, but have not received a response at this time.

Jul 16, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #13,777 of 16,011
In addition at least for me, I also need to do the manloud to get a convincing result. The HPEQ autoeq is just not enough for my ears.

I agree that a good HPEQ is necessary (even if you use the stock BBC PRIR). I have not had good results with manloud so far. I've been meaning to spend some more time trying to get it right, but have been too busy of late.

Just watched this video again. I had totally forgotten about the A->B comparison option and instead have used two presets with the same PRIR. But the A->B test function is much better.

Jul 17, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #13,778 of 16,011
@VandyMan
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.

In addition to quality of loudspeakers and amplifier, the accuracy of setup and measurement, in my opinion the personal HRTF makes all the difference. Otherwise I could use your PRIR and would get a similar result. Unfortunately this is not the case. I remember the times when I had the AKG K-1000 and the BAP-1000.

A5D24D90-CAE2-4D6E-8271-A16F77C9944B.jpeg

You had nine presets of measurements with different ears and at a certain time there was the possibility to get your own personal measurement. While I purchased the K1000 new, I later bought the BAP 1000 used and at this time AKG no longer was willing to do this. If you want to read more about the BAP 1000 https://manual-hub.com/manuals/akg-acoustics-audiosphere-bap-1000-01-pdf-manual/

I fully agree. In addition at least for me, I also need to do the manloud to get a convincing result. The HPEQ autoeq is just not enough for my ears.
I did the manloud on the custom PRIRs made with 3d SoundShop, and yes, it does make a difference. Basically, the manloud compensates for the accoustice of your ear canal--something HPEQ can not do b/c the in ear mics can not get deep enough to take into account the effect the ear canal has.

Jul 17, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #13,779 of 16,011
I did the manloud on the custom PRIRs made with 3d SoundShop, and yes, it does make a difference. Basically, the manloud compensates for the accoustice of your ear canal--something HPEQ can not do b/c the in ear mics can not get deep enough to take into account the effect the ear canal has.

Were you doing just the balance adjustments, or also the frequencies? If it was the latter, how difficult was that to get right? The little time I spent with the frequency adjustment just became incomprehensible to me. The goal was to make it so all of the bands sounded similar in volume right? Well, as you go up in frequency, the perceived volume increases. Or at least it does for me.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #13,780 of 16,011
Were you doing just the balance adjustments, or also the frequencies? If it was the latter, how difficult was that to get right? The little time I spent with the frequency adjustment just became incomprehensible to me. The goal was to make it so all of the bands sounded similar in volume right? Well, as you go up in frequency, the perceived volume increases. Or at least it does for me.
I did both. It also is a way of somewhat compensating for age related hearing loss, but don't get carried away with trying to do that. Definitely did find some bands were out of balance between my left and right ears. Happened whether it was John's or my own PRIRs. Also happened with the BRIRs I downloaded from the common drive as well as the BBC and Surrey rooms. Sigfried Linkwitz addressed this on his website when he built a custom equalizer for his pair of Etomytic IEMs

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #13,781 of 16,011
Could we please discuss the options which come with manloud?
13.7.1.3 Curve

Selects the frequency response curve for the sub-band noise excitation signals. The options are flat, equal-loudness-20, equal-loudness-80.

13.7.1.4 Man EQ HPEQ

Selects the HPEQ file that contains the filter to be manually adjusted. The ENTER command moves to the HPEQ file select menus, allowing the desired HPEQ file to be selected. Note that the Man EQ Start option selects the actual filter from within this HPEQ file – either the autoEQ or flatEQ filter.

13.7.1.5 Man EQ PRIR

Optionally selects the PRIR file from which the virtual speaker(s) are selected. The HRTF of the impulse responses of the virtual speakers are convolved with the filtered sub-band noise signals to externalise the headphone signal. The ENTER command moves to the PRIR file select menus, allowing the desired PRIR to be selected.

13.7.1.6 Man EQ Spkr

When toggled ON this enables the selection of a PRIR file and selects the named virtual speakers. The virtual speaker options are centre, left + right, left + centre + right. Only the HRTF part of the virtual speaker impulse responses is convolved. This gives some spatiality to the signal but removes any room response. If toggled OFF the sub-band noise signal is played directly to the left and right headphone outputs, and the PRIR file and virtual speaker(s) selection are both ignored.

Here are some questions I have:
  • What is the difference between equal-loudness-20 and 80? What are the pros and cons?
  • What are the pros and cons of starting with autoEQ and flatEQ?
  • What are the pros and cons of using Man EQ PRIR? I had a very strange using the Man EQ PRIR on, where for certain subbands I had not in head localization but distinctly two different tones in my left and right ear which did not blend together to one tone?
  • I understand that when I use Man EQ Spkr „left + right“ I can - and I need to - adjust for the balance. Is there advantage in using „left + centre + right“?
  • How is Smyth able to remove the room response for the Man EQ Spkr and only use the HRTF? Is this the same procedure they would have used in the „Exchange“ to marry my own HRTF with a better sounding room?

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #13,782 of 16,011
Hi guys. I've been reading through this thread and got a couple of questions. Apologies if these have already been answered, I couldn't find anywhere.

1) How critical is headphone amplification in the HPEQ measurement process? (let's say I want to take personalized PRIR measurement in a studio. I understand the HPEQ should be taken right after the PRIR because of the binaural microphones position. If I want to measure Stax headphones, would I have to take my electrostatic amp to the studio? That would be a T2 in my case, so not very practical.)

2) Is there an updated list of studios that do measurements? If not, which would be the currently most reliable ones?

Thanks a lot!

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #13,783 of 16,011
To be on the safe side, I think it would be better taking your electrostatic amp to the studio. To the best of my knowledge, no one has compiled an updated list of studios that do measurements. If you’re in the United States, @Litlgi74 might help you. Other users from Europe went to msm studios in Munich.

However, until you get to a studio, you might try to make your own custom PRIR measurements using two speakers and a stereo amplifier in addition to a Realiser A16 unit.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #13,784 of 16,011
Could we please discuss the options which come with manloud?

Here are some questions I have:
  • What is the difference between equal-loudness-20 and 80? What are the pros and cons?
  • What are the pros and cons of starting with autoEQ and flatEQ?
  • What are the pros and cons of using Man EQ PRIR? I had a very strange using the Man EQ PRIR on, where for certain subbands I had not in head localization but distinctly two different tones in my left and right ear which did not blend together to one tone?
  • I understand that when I use Man EQ Spkr „left + right“ I can - and I need to - adjust for the balance. Is there advantage in using „left + centre + right“?
  • How is Smyth able to remove the room response for the Man EQ Spkr and only use the HRTF? Is this the same procedure they would have used in the „Exchange“ to marry my own HRTF with a better sounding room?
I’d also like to read the answers to your questions. Frankly writing, I was somewhat reluctant to carry out the manLOUD eq procedure. I was afraid I could’ve done something worse than better.

Jul 18, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #13,785 of 16,011
1) How critical is headphone amplification in the HPEQ measurement process? (let's say I want to take personalized PRIR measurement in a studio. I understand the HPEQ should be taken right after the PRIR because of the binaural microphones position. If I want to measure Stax headphones, would I have to take my electrostatic amp to the studio? That would be a T2 in my case, so not very practical.)

I've measured the same pair of planar headphones (DCA Ether 2) driven from a 300B tube amp and driven directly by the A16. There was no discernable differences. I would guess that there are some subtle differences in the tube amp measurement, but I'd probably need to listen to test signals to hear it. That said, there really is no reason to create your HPEQ in a studio unless your home is too noisy. If you use the Dakoni tips, you should be able to get the mics in the almost the identical position in a repeatable way.

For your electrostatic headphones, you do not need the T2 in the studio, IMO. Any electrostatic amp that drives your headphones competently should do. If you end up making an HPEQ in a studio without your T2, perhaps you could make a second one at home with your T2 and then tell us what differences you hear between them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back