Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 9, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #13,726 of 16,057
Is it possible to do the DTS and Auro 3D upgrade in one step? And do you need to upgrade to the latest firmware, and do the complete factory reset before you generate the log file?
I think it said somewhere that you should contact them if you want to purchase both at the same time. You do have to have the latest firmware, it's required. I don't think reset is necessary for creating the log file but you WILL have to reset anyway so might as well do it.

Jul 10, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #13,728 of 16,057
My other test content was the JAZZ AMBASSADORS & SAMMY NESTICO - The Sammy Sessions blu-ray audio disc (attached picture # 02.thesammysessions). As it can be seen, this disc has four types of sound tracks: 5.1 DTS-HD MA, 2.0 LPCM Stereo, 9.1 Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos. My test followed the same pattern as previously, setting the value for Auro listening mode to native firstly, followed by Auro-3D.

For the 5.1 DTS-HD MA sound track, under native and Auro-3D settings, the findings are shown in the attached pictures #021.native.Sammy.5.1.DTSHDMA and #021.Auro-3D.Sammy.5.1.DTSHDMA, respectively. It followed that the original surround content was up mixed to 3D surround by Auro-Matic for Auro-3D in Auro listening mode.

The same finding for the 2.0 LPCM Stereo (the attached pictures #022.native.Sammy.2.0.PCM and # 022.Auro-3D.Sammy.2.0.PCM). The original stereo content that was up mixed to 3D surround with Auro-Matic for Auro-3D in Auro listening mode sounded quite unconvincing to my ears as compared to the original 9.1 Auro-3D content.

The 9.1 Auro-3D sound track was displayed as Auro-3D (DTS-MA) for both setting values native and Auro-3D in Auro listening mode (the attached pictures # 023.native.Sammy.9.1.Auro-3D and 023.Auro-D.Sammy.9.1.Auro-3D).

What the Dolby Atmos sound track was concerned, I went to preset #8 where there was a 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos listening room. The Realiser A16 switched on to the Atmos listening room within the preset #8 for both setting values native and Auro-3D in Auro listening mode (the attached picture # 024.native.Auro-3D.Sammy.Dolby.Atmos). The transition from Auro to Dolby Atmos listening room took about 6 seconds. I haven’t confronted flakiness as described by @shmau in his post #17,317.

To conclude, I dare to write that if someone wants to play back non-Auro 3D files the same as they are recorded, the Auro button under Settings > System > Misc settings > Auro 3D it’s better to be off.

If that button is on and the set the value for Auro listening mode is native, the files are played back with the channels the same as they are recorded but in an Auro listening room. The exception is for Dolby Atmos files when the Realiser A16 switches on to the available Dolby Atmos listening room.

For the setting value AURO-3D in the Auro listening mode, the mighty Auro-Matic takes over and makes a lot of users happier. However, the Auro-Matic doesn’t pop up for original Auro-3D sound tracks. Also, for Dolby Atmos files, the Realiser A16 switches on to the available Dolby Atmos listening room.

Attachments

• 02.thesammysessions.jpg
    02.thesammysessions.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 021.native.Sammy.5.1.DTSHDMA.jpg
    021.native.Sammy.5.1.DTSHDMA.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 021.Auro-3D.Sammy.5.1.DTSHDMA.jpg
    021.Auro-3D.Sammy.5.1.DTSHDMA.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 022.native.Sammy.2.0.PCM.jpg
    022.native.Sammy.2.0.PCM.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 022.Auro-3D.Sammy.2.0.PCM.jpg
    022.Auro-3D.Sammy.2.0.PCM.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 023.native.Sammy.9.1.Auro-3D.jpg
    023.native.Sammy.9.1.Auro-3D.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 0
  • 023.Auro-3D.Sammy.9.1.Auro-3D.jpg
    023.Auro-3D.Sammy.9.1.Auro-3D.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 024.native.Auro-3D.Sammy.Dolby.Atmos.jpg
    024.native.Auro-3D.Sammy.Dolby.Atmos.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 11, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #13,730 of 16,057
I think only James Smyth might let you know that. However, until you receive a reasonable answer, the following quotes from an interview with Wilfried Van Baelen (the man behind Auro-3D) may shed light on how many speakers should be in a system.

Even with a million speakers around us we will never be able to reproduce natural sound. If you start to understand how critical our ears are, how air moves, and how low, mid, and high frequencies move, then you will understand that we will never be able to accurately reproduce it. So the art is to recreate that immersive experience with a minimum amount of channels and speakers.

I have done a lot of testing, up to 25 channels (24.1). In a small room I don’t need this amount, absolutely not. When I hear the difference, it’s not worth the investment. If you go to a large room, let’s say a large 500 set cinema then it can make sense to use up to 24 channels, but in a smaller theatre this is not needed. But having said that, the key to immersive sound is a natural balance between the horizontal and vertical spread of sound around the audience, this can be perfectly achieved in a large theatre in Auro 11.1.

Source: https://www.alecwren.com/interviews/interview-wilfried-van-baelen-and-auro-technologies-part-1

Jul 11, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #13,731 of 16,057
I already paid and got the Auro upgrade. I had DTS-X already upgraded. Yes the manual would help.

I will also purchase Auro-3D license, been waiting it for long time. I just hope that James (or any other Smyth Research person) could make "official" announcement of availability (and update the manual).
Well, I bit the bullet and bougth Auro 3D license. It seems that our community has enough knowledge to find out some of the secrets of inner workings of A16 and Auro 3D. It would be nice to have a updated manual, though :)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #13,732 of 16,057
Hi, did my PRIR measurement today at the Munich, Germany msm studios.
I will write a bit more about my experiences when I am back home and will have had the chance to listen to the PRIR taken there.

In the meantime I have a short question. Is it true that the internal Audio Test Loop will only use the factory installed PRIR created with a dummy head?
At least that is what the user manual suggests. Any idea if this is true?

B4013923-6076-4E2D-AA31-54EFF30C287A.jpeg

Jul 11, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #13,733 of 16,057
I will write a bit more about my experiences when I am back home and will have had the chance to listen to the PRIR taken there.

In the meantime I have a short question. Is it true that the internal Audio Test Loop will only use the factory installed PRIR created with a dummy head?

B4013923-6076-4E2D-AA31-54EFF30C287A.jpeg
Looking very much forward to reading your report on your MSM experience and results.

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #13,734 of 16,057
No, I am pretty sure that is not true. Or I must always have been massively fooled by psychoacoustics as I always experienced it as simply the currently active virtual speakers (as determined by the current preset, current listening room, etc.) playing.
I have looked at the older and the newer version of the manual. In the older version this same explanation is done with a reference to a picture of the A16 screen, I think they just meant to explain what the speakers from the BBC room that is shown in that screenshot are. And probably due to some mistake while editing/changing the manual the proper context for that piece of text is now missing in the newer version of the manual.
(Figure 3-4). ... (These virtual speakers are a factory installed default that were measured using a dummy head binaural microphone)

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #13,735 of 16,057
Definitely not true.. I use the test button often to test the accuracy and placement of my channel remaps...

Jul 12, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #13,736 of 16,057
I also look forward to reading about your PRIR measurements at msm-studios in Munich.

By searching with google I’ve found a pdf file in German: Atmos_zum_Mitnehmen.
https://for-tune.de/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Atmos_zum_Mitnehmen.pdf

The translation of the file into English by google translate is a bit odd, probably due to the formatting of the text and images for publication in a specialized magazine.
The title “Atmos to take away” doesn't seem to say much, but a quote triggers the interest to read all the information about Realiser A16.
“For us, one of the 'blessings' of technological innovation is definitely the Smyth Realiser in the current A16 variant, which enables you to take an immersive monitoring system to any action location.”

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #13,737 of 16,057
While I am enjoying Auro 3D and Auromatic upmixing on my A16, I have found that I have, since installing the upgrade, been experiencing a consistent glitch in the firmware. I seem to recall that a similar glitch may have also occurred for some A16 users after installing DTS:X. I'm not 100% certain, but I seem to recall @Got the Shakes posting about this glitch in previous posts.

What I am referring to is the experience of the A16 being rendered silent unless/until I select a stock BBC preset. I then follow up by selecting my chosen nonstock preset, resulting in the restoration of sound. As I recall, the A16 needs to be returned fully to stock presets in order to rectify this. Once rectified, other presets can repopulate the stock ones, with no further recurrence of this silence glitch.

I do appreciate the fact that this has, thankfully, not been universally experienced by other A16 users who have done the Auro 3D upgrade.

My question is this: would doing a full factory restore leave the A16 in fully functional DTS:X and Auro 3D upgraded status, or is there another non-destructive, preferred method to meet the same goal? I thank you in advance and look forward to reading your recommendation in answer to this post.

Jul 12, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #13,738 of 16,057
While I am enjoying Auro 3D and Auromatic upmixing on my A16, I have found that I have, since installing the upgrade, been experiencing a consistent glitch in the firmware. I seem to recall that a similar glitch may have also occurred for some A16 users after installing DTS:X. I'm not 100% certain, but I seem to recall @Got the Shakes posting about this glitch in previous posts.

What I am referring to is the experience of the A16 being rendered silent unless/until I select a stock BBC preset. I then follow up by selecting my chosen nonstock preset, resulting in the restoration of sound. As I recall, the A16 needs to be returned fully to stock presets in order to rectify this. Once rectified, other presets can repopulate the stock ones, with no further recurrence of this silence glitch.

I do appreciate the fact that this has, thankfully, not been universally experienced by other A16 users who have done the Auro 3D upgrade.

My question is this: would doing a full factory restore leave the A16 in fully functional DTS:X and Auro 3D upgraded status, or is there another non-destructive, preferred method to meet the same goal? I thank you in advance and look forward to reading your recommendation in answer to this post.
I have had this problem for quite a long time, I’ve sort of lost track of time but I’m pretty sure on my A16 it started well before the DTS upgrade. I have done plenty of factory resets and It isn’t fixed. I did send a video to James showing the issue as well. I still always have to do the dance between presets.

Jul 12, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #13,739 of 16,057
I have had this problem for quite a long time, I’ve sort of lost track of time but I’m pretty sure on my A16 it started well before the DTS upgrade. I have done plenty of factory resets and It isn’t fixed. I did send a video to James showing the issue as well. I still always have to do the dance between presets.
@Got the Shakes, thanks for your reply. Oh well, first world problems. Or to quote Boris Johnson, “them’s the breaks.”

Jul 12, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #13,740 of 16,057
I also look forward to reading about your PRIR measurements at msm-studios in Munich.

By searching with google I’ve found a pdf file in German: Atmos_zum_Mitnehmen.
https://for-tune.de/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Atmos_zum_Mitnehmen.pdf

The translation of the file into English by google translate is a bit odd, probably due to the formatting of the text and images for publication in a specialized magazine.
The title “Atmos to take away” doesn't seem to say much, but a quote triggers the interest to read all the information about Realiser A16.
“For us, one of the 'blessings' of technological innovation is definitely the Smyth Realiser in the current A16 variant, which enables you to take an immersive monitoring system to any action location.”
Great find. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back