Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 8, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #13,711 of 16,067
I paid for the Auro 3D upgrade and received the permissions file from James this morning to perform the upgrade. Do I follow the same instructions that I used for the DTS upgrade? James didn't send any instructions and has not responded to my question about how to actually perform the upgrade.
Yes pretty much the same .

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #13,713 of 16,067
I paid for the Auro 3D upgrade and received the permissions file from James this morning to perform the upgrade. Do I follow the same instructions that I used for the DTS upgrade? James didn't send any instructions and has not responded to my question about how to actually perform the upgrade.
Make sure you no longer have the previous permissions file used for installing DTS in the REALISER folder on your micro-SD card.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #13,714 of 16,067
Until the updated manual is provided by Smyth Research, I think that Yamaha’s information on Auro 3D within the attached file might be quite helpful. The described settings are pretty much the same with those for Auro-3D in Realiser A16: Settings > System > Misc settings > Auro 3D

Attachments

• Yamaha_AURO-3D.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 8, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #13,715 of 16,067
I own both of these discs.. neither of which the Auro 3D track works correctly.

2L-090-SABD-v2_super-jewel_crop_900x.jpg
philharmonia-orchestra-remote-galaxy_front-1.jpg

They play through Auromatic... But as DTS upmix.

I have other Auro discs that work as they should.
I also have the two discs from the 2L company and indeed the Auro tracks are played back as DTS upmix through Auromatic. As they were released in 2012-2013, may be the DTS upmix was the state of the art for Auro-3D rendering then.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #13,716 of 16,067
Both @Thomasphoenix98 and @Litlgi74 have written at page #913 in this thread that Auro-3D only works in 16 channel mode.

Have a look at the attached picture. That picture has been posted by Gilles Gerin, the French business partner of Smyth Research, at the French distributor’s Facebook page, when he announced the imminent arrival of Auro-3D for Realiser A16.

In the left upper corner, one can notice SVS 24CH. Moreover, in the right upper corner of the display, one can see that the listening room was set for Atmos, while the actual audio was Auro-3D. Is that possible to get Auro-3D audio in an Atmos listening room?

Attachments

• Gilles.Gerin.Auro-3D.jpg
    Gilles.Gerin.Auro-3D.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 0
Jul 9, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #13,717 of 16,067
I have not 100% confirmed this yet but it seems that in Auromatic mode (PCM input), the speaker outputs (at least on the AES model) are not active. The Realiser display does show everything correctly just as if it's working but I receive no output. With native Auro content they are active though. (EDIT: no, tried again and even native Auro content does not output over AES). If anyone else has time to test this out (perhaps on the standard model) that would be greatly appreciated.

I've also experienced flakiness when switching between Auro and Atmos content (when in Auromatic mode), the Realiser seemed to switch between Auro and Atmos every 5-10 seconds.

My test content was https://pureaudiorecordings.com/en/product/tetragon-project-oracles/ which has both.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #13,718 of 16,067
Both @Thomasphoenix98 and @Litlgi74 have written at page #913 in this thread that Auro-3D only works in 16 channel mode.

Have a look at the attached picture. That picture has been posted by Gilles Gerin, the French business partner of Smyth Research, at the French distributor’s Facebook page, when he announced the imminent arrival of Auro-3D for Realiser A16.

In the left upper corner, one can notice SVS 24CH. Moreover, in the right upper corner of the display, one can see that the listening room was set for Atmos, while the actual audio was Auro-3D. Is that possible to get Auro-3D audio in an Atmos listening room?
I was able to turn on Auro-3D while 24ch was selected . The Auro 3D setting would not stick on restart. And James did mention to John that Auro needs the realiser set on 16ch. Auro can play in the Atmos room but it’ll be missing critical channels as Atmos doesn’t have the equivalent.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #13,719 of 16,067

Not sure why you would want to do this... Auro-3D speakers have a specific elevation angle. The top front, middle and rear channels used are (more than likely) not even close to those requirements.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #13,720 of 16,067
At least for a while, my tests with the new Auro-3D toy have been carried out using an Auro 9.1 listening room. I turned on the Auro 3D button in my Realiser A16 unit: Settings > System > Misc settings > Auro 3D and set the value for Auro listening mode to native firstly. Actually, I aimed at playing back channels the same as they were recorded. In other words, no up mixing as I’m not a fan of that approach. I’m aware that I swim against the tide, but who am I to alter the original sound tracks just because I can?

One of my test contents was the AURO-3D Demonstration Disc Vol.2 (attached picture #01.Auro3D.Demostration.disc2). Actually, this disc has only one 9.1 Auro-3D sound track. The display showed as in the attached picture #2.native. After I switched the setting value to AURO-3D (optimal for playback of discs recorded in AURO-3D), the display was like in the attached picture #3.Auro-3D.

The conclusion might be that when there’s an original 9.1 Auro-3D sound track, the audio is displayed as Auro-3D (DTS-MA) for both setting values native and Auro-3D in Auro listening mode.

I’ll come back with my results when the test content was a disc with four types of sound tracks.

Attachments

• 01.Auro3D.Demostration.disc2.jpg
    01.Auro3D.Demostration.disc2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 02.native.jpg
    02.native.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 03.Auro-3D.jpg
    03.Auro-3D.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 9, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #13,721 of 16,067

To answer the question about getting Auro 3D to play in am Atmos room, my assumption is if you go to “Listening Rooms” in the A16 menu and set the “Loading” setting to “Only Atmos” then it should only use the Atmos room of any of your presets regardless of the decoder it’s using.

Jul 9, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #13,722 of 16,067
You’re right about that. One can cut corners from building Auro rooms by forcing the A16 to load Atmos rooms. However, what the required elevation angles for an Auro-3D setup are concerned, that might not be the best approach.

Attachments

• Auro-3D.Atmos.jpg
    Auro-3D.Atmos.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
Jul 9, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #13,723 of 16,067
While you couldn’t do a direct A->B of Auro 3D vs Atmos comparison due to the requirement to manually switch settings from one to the other, you can still take the DTS MA 5.1 file and the Dolby Atmos file from, say, the Abbey Road blu ray, and use them to compare the Atmos vs Auro 3D listening experiences.

Honestly, with Atmos, DTS:X and Auro 3D upgrades, and Atmos and Auro 3D compliant PRIRs, the A16 has finally arrived at the end game status that I was hoping for when I placed my Kickstarter order just 3 weeks shy of 6 years ago.

I say that with the acknowledgment that so many people are still in the preorder queue and have yet to experience the A16 in their own homes.

I also acknowledge that it is almost certainly difficult for those same folks to read the recent flood of posts touting the subjective benefits of Auro-matic upmixing.

As always, I have great empathy for those still waiting and I hope and pray that they all receive their A16s sooner rather than later. There is no reason for this to be a zero sum game.

Jul 9, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #13,724 of 16,067
I think that just as unlucky are both the few kickstarter backers who still have to receive their Realiser A16 units and preorders, which are much more. I’m also aware it’s not very comfortable for them to keep reading about the various firmware updates that have continuously improved Realiser A16. The lack of communication from Smyth Research is even more annoying.

On the other hand, they might be beneficiaries of a knowledge data base and will no longer have to carry out all kinds of trials that have already been completed.

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #13,725 of 16,067
Make sure you no longer have the previous permissions file used for installing DTS in the REALISER folder on your micro-SD card.
Is it possible to do the DTS and Auro 3D upgrade in one step? And do you need to upgrade to the latest firmware, and do the complete factory reset before you generate the log file?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back