Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 5, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #12,061 of 15,986
So, is firmware 2.0 safe to upgrade to?
I'm on 1.81 as all subsequent ones seem to have one issue or another.

But I'm eager to gain the IP control functions.
The Improved PRIR mixing is attractive, as the process I had to use to combine PRIRs to create my 7.1.4 setup (from a physical 5.1.4 + rotated metrics) was a pain.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #12,062 of 15,986
You're way off. Your pitiful 234 days are no match to my 479 days with no end in sight.
A 479 day wait for repair? Not for order fulfillment?

Aug 5, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #12,063 of 15,986
So, is firmware 2.0 safe to upgrade to?
I'm on 1.81 as all subsequent ones seem to have one issue or another.
I stayed with 1.81 as well.
My A16 is not perfect - I have to reinstall the firmware every 6 weeks or so, when it gets stuck on the splash screen, but I'm not risking it getting worse

Aug 5, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #12,064 of 15,986
Your unit has been gone for repair for 479 days and counting ??!! 😱
Not for repair, but for the HDMI+DSP upgrade first, and then I asked them to keep it for the AES upgrade instead of shipping it back and forth, even before the HDMI upgrade was done. I didn't really mind not having my A16 while essentially nobody was inoculated against Corona.

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #12,067 of 15,986
Aug 7, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #12,069 of 15,986
It could be a kickstarter backer or someone else who pre-ordered Realiser A16, both from Istanbul, but they might not write or read this forum. You can see some statistics on where backers come from top countries at

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...6-real-3d-audio-headphone-processor/community

Out of 330 backers, most of them were from USA (98 backers) and Germany (57 backers). The fewest kickstarter backers were from the Netherlands and Hong Kong, each with 9 backers. However, if there were any backers from Turkey then they should’ve been mentioned in the top of less than 9 backers.

Maybe if you write a message to kickstarter they will answer you whether or not there was a backer from Turkey for Realiser A16. However, I doubt they’ll give you contact information. Likewise, Smyth Research might tell you whether or not they have customers from Turkey.

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #12,070 of 15,986
I was wondering whether we have anyone from Istanbul who have purchased A16. I am planning to buy one very soon. It would be great to get in touch with a local user beforehand.

There should be about 100 Kickstarter backers in range of a flight costing just slightly more than 100 EUR. Given the investment you're about to make, travelling to Germany, the UK or some other country should be a trivial expense. If you can manage to combine such a visit with recording a PRIR of a good studio, home cinema, or even just a very good stereo setup, it'll certainly be worth it. In the worst (== most expensive) case, book a recording at MSM studios or if you haven't found or decided on a dealer to purchase from yet, consider the french distributor, he's doing a really good job, and he offers recording a PRIR for "only" 150 EUR in his Trinnov based demo theater.

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #12,071 of 15,986
As the latest firmware (rev. 2.00 Jun 08 2021) brought a composite PRIR builder application, I’ve extracted 15 virtual speakers from my previously measured PRIRs that were stored in the A16’s internal directory and created a new 9.0.6 channel PRIR file consisting of L, R, C, Lw, Rw, Lss, Rss, Lb, Rb, Ltf, Rtf, Ltm, Rtm, Ltr and Rtr speakers.

The virtual speakers were generated by measuring a system consisting of two KEF R3 speakers, stereo amplifier, SVS-2000 subwoofer and miniDSP DDRC-24 device for room correction with subwoofer integration (high pass and low pass crossover filters set to 80 Hz). The PRIR measurements were carried out in line with the proposed procedure of @audiohobbit.

There is no virtual subwoofer in my composite PRIR file because I suspect that something went wrong during the separate PRIR measurement of my subwoofer and that adversely affected the sound in the listening room. A PRIR for a virtual subwoofer can be taken from the factory PRIRs inside the Realiser A16.

Prior to building the new composite PRIR, I enabled denoise for each virtual speaker and changed azimuth angles (Azi) for Lb and Rb speakers.

In November 2020, when I shared my PRIR files, there were complaints of higher level of distortion heard. To avoid damages to other people, I took down the folder with my PRIRs.

Now, I’d like to share the resulted composite PRIR file that can be used for building a Dolby Atmos listening room. As the composite file has no PRIR of my subwoofer included, I think that there will be no more distortions. Anyhow, start listening with the volume at a lower setting and on low gain.

I've uploaded my composite PRIR file to @Rene Lou's google drive

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O9vvj7fa-CiXVVoR0LCyRB9EFtsZMBo2?usp=sharing

Please write back here about your experience with my composite PRIR. Also, don’t forget that most probably you’ll need to use the manLOUD method of the A16 to adjust my composite PRIR and use your own personal HPEQ of your headphones.
I had some time today to download this and use manLOUD on one of my HPEQs. I've been playing Atmos content with it and it sounds pretty great to me. I honestly think that I have one of those heads that seems to work well with a lot of people's PRIRs. This is now going to me my go to PRIR for Atmos stuff since I haven't been able to capture my own Atmos one yet (I do have 5.1 and 7.1 ones that I've captured though). Thank you for uploading and sharing this!

Aug 8, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #12,072 of 15,986
..........This is now going to me my go to PRIR for Atmos stuff since I haven't been able to capture my own Atmos one yet (I do have 5.1 and 7.1 ones that I've captured though). Thank you for uploading and sharing this!
I’m glad that my composite PRIR suits you.

As my PRIRs were measured at home and not in studio conditions, I think that activating denoising option within the composite PRIR builder application was beneficial for the virtual speaker impulse response.

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #12,073 of 15,986
I had some time today to download this and use manLOUD on one of my HPEQs. I've been playing Atmos content with it and it sounds pretty great to me. I honestly think that I have one of those heads that seems to work well with a lot of people's PRIRs. This is now going to me my go to PRIR for Atmos stuff since I haven't been able to capture my own Atmos one yet (I do have 5.1 and 7.1 ones that I've captured though). Thank you for uploading and sharing this!
I'm going to download this BRIR and try it. I'll add the subwoofer (my own SB2000 from my own PRIR) to make it a complete 9.1.6. It will be interesting to compare it to my own 9,1,6 PRIR made from my own OG LS 50s + SB 2000, as well as the PRIR I plan to make from my new LS 50 Meta +SB 2000 with Dirac Live Room Correction over my OCTO 8 and Purifi EVAL 1 fed from the A16 into my PC via the Motu M4. That PRIR will be the culmination of everything I've learned doing the last one, and will be an all out assault on the summit.

Aug 8, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #12,074 of 15,986
I’m glad that my composite PRIR suits you.

As my PRIRs were measured at home and not in studio conditions, I think that activating denoising option within the composite PRIR builder application was beneficial for the virtual speaker impulse response.
After the 2.0 firmware, I rebuilt my 5.1 and 7.1 personal PRIRs with the composite builder and the denoise function, I found it made a noticeable difference in how it sounded in a good way.

I'm going to download this BRIR and try it. I'll add the subwoofer (my own SB2000 from my own PRIR) to make it a complete 9.1.6. It will be interesting to compare it to my own 9,1,6 PRIR made from my own OG LS 50s + SB 2000, as well as the PRIR I plan to make from my new LS 50 Meta +SB 2000 with Dirac Live Room Correction over my OCTO 8 and Purifi EVAL 1 fed from the A16 into my PC via the Motu M4. That PRIR will be the culmination of everything I've learned doing the last one, and will be an all out assault on the summit.
I’ll be curious to hear what you think. I don’t have an Atmos PRIR to compare it to, but it does sound fairly convincing to me especially after the manLOUD procedure.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #12,075 of 15,986
After the 2.0 firmware, I rebuilt my 5.1 and 7.1 personal PRIRs with the composite builder and the denoise function, I found it made a noticeable difference in how it sounded in a good way.

I’ll be curious to hear what you think. I don’t have an Atmos PRIR to compare it to, but it does sound fairly convincing to me especially after the manLOUD procedure.
It may be a little while yet. I've learned today that the Octo Research DAC 8 Pro I ordered January 5th and was shipped last Thursday from Prague is delayed by Fedex in Cologne for "operational reasons." It's the A16 debacle all over again! 😒

Users who are viewing this thread

Back