Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 20, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #11,747 of 16,105
Just got my A16, and I have a couple of basic questions. (1) My DVD player will output audio in PCM or "auto". Which should I choose for sending to the A16? The A16 manual mentions bitstream, but that's not an option with my player. (2) I have two PRIRs and one HPEQ from my A8 that I want to transfer to the A16. Unfortunately, I can't get the A16 to recognize the files on the micro SD card -- it says there are no files on the card, when in fact there are those three. The card is a 2 GB FAT16, so I think it's the right size and format.

Can anyone help me out with either of these? The second problem in particular has essentially turned my A16 into a $4,000 doorstop because there's nowhere near me to get new measurements taken, and I don't have the ability to take them myself.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #11,748 of 16,105
Just got my A16, and I have a couple of basic questions. (1) My DVD player will output audio in PCM or "auto". Which should I choose for sending to the A16? The A16 manual mentions bitstream, but that's not an option with my player. (2) I have two PRIRs and one HPEQ from my A8 that I want to transfer to the A16. Unfortunately, I can't get the A16 to recognize the files on the micro SD card -- it says there are no files on the card, when in fact there are those three. The card is a 2 GB FAT16, so I think it's the right size and format.

Can anyone help me out with either of these? The second problem in particular has essentially turned my A16 into a $4,000 doorstop because there's nowhere near me to get new measurements taken, and I don't have the ability to take them myself.
Are your files in the SD card in the proper folder structure? You should have a folder named Realiser and inside that I believe you want to put the PRIRs in a folder named prir and the HPEQ file in a folder named HPEQ. I’m not buy my computer to check my SD card to remember the exactly naming of folders, but I think I’m right on that.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #11,749 of 16,105
Are your files in the SD card in the proper folder structure? You should have a folder named Realiser and inside that I believe you want to put the PRIRs in a folder named prir and the HPEQ file in a folder named HPEQ. I’m not buy my computer to check my SD card to remember the exactly naming of folders, but I think I’m right on that.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #11,750 of 16,105
Thanks, but unfortunately that didn't work. I tried putting them in folders named PRIR and HPEQ both inside and outside a folder named Realiser.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #11,751 of 16,105
The card is a 2 GB FAT16, so I think it's the right size and format.
The card should be fat32. Create a main folder called Realiser... With two subfolders PRIRS and HPEQS... Put your specific files in the appropriate subfolders.

You will also need to convert your A8 files to A16 files via the Realiser.

My DVD player will output audio in PCM or "auto". Which should I choose for sending to the A16? The A16 manual mentions bitstream,
Unless your DVD player has analog outputs.. L,R,C,SW, etc... the HDMI or SPDIF will be bit streaming the audio to the A16.

The second problem in particular has essentially turned my A16 into a $4,000 doorstop because there's nowhere near me to get new measurements taken, and I don't have the ability to take them myself.
Where do you live?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #11,752 of 16,105
The card should be fat32. Create a main folder called Realiser... With two subfolders PRIR and HPEQ... Put your specific files in the appropriate subfolders.
James told me it had to be a 2 or 4 GB FAT16. Not sure why, since cards that small formatted FAT16 aren't common these days, but that's what he said. I also tried FAT32, but it didn't recognize those files either. I used the file structure you suggested.
Will also need to convert your A8 files to A16 files via the Realiser.

Unless your DVD player has analog outputs.. L,R,C,SW, etc... the HDMI or spiff will be bit streaming the audio to the A16.
So it will output bit stream to the A16 if I set it to "auto"?

Where do you live?

Washington DC area.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #11,753 of 16,105
James told me it had to be a 2 or 4 GB FAT16. Not sure why, since cards that small formatted FAT16 aren't common these days, but that's what he said. I also tried FAT32, but it didn't recognize those files either. I used the file structure you suggested.
From the manual: The new firmware for the Realiser A16 is uploaded through the micro-SD card slot on the front panel. First, obtain a micro-SDcard (commonly 8 or 16 GB) and ensure it is formatted as FAT32.

So it will output bit stream to the A16 if I set it to "auto"?
It should.. that's most likely how you'll convert DTS to PCM as well.

Washington DC area.
If you're willing to take the trip to New Jersey... I'll be creating up to 24 channel (15.1.8) in person PRIRs at a local recording studio...

More info can be found here in the link of my signature.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #11,755 of 16,105
From the manual: The new firmware for the Realiser A16 is uploaded through the micro-SD card slot on the front panel. First, obtain a micro-SDcard (commonly 8 or 16 GB) and ensure it is formatted as FAT32.
Yeah, that's why I originally tried FAT32. But then he said no, use FAT16. Sigh.
It should.. that's most likely how you'll convert DTS to PCM as well.

If you're willing to take the trip to New Jersey... I'll be creating up to 24 channel (15.1.8) in person PRIRs at a local recording studio...
If I can get this card problem sorted out, I just might take you up on that. I really want to use the PRIRs I got at AIX though. They sound really good, and apparently AIX isn't doing Realiser measurements anymore. Honestly, a $4,000 piece of equipment should have some other way to transfer files to it besides an SD card -- USB, Ethernet, WiFi, something.
More info can be found here in the link of my signature.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #11,756 of 16,105
Thanks, but unfortunately that didn't work. I tried putting them in folders named PRIR and HPEQ both inside and outside a folder named Realiser.
I‘m not a 100% sure and would have to check on my computer, but I think you have to name the Folders PRIRS and HPEQS. So with the „S“ at the end. I had the same problem that the files didn’t show but after that it worked. I could check tomorrow and let you know. If you haven’t solved it by then.

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #11,757 of 16,105
I‘m not a 100% sure and would have to check on my computer, but I think you have to name the Folders PRIRS and HPEQS. So with the „S“ at the end. I had the same problem that the files didn’t show but after that it worked. I could check tomorrow and let you know. If you haven’t solved it by then.
You are correct... I just double checked... PRIRS and HPEQS... should be the subfolders of the Realiser root folder.

* I corrected my original reply.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #11,760 of 16,105
May I ask when you ordered and when you received your A16? We are all curious about any activity at Smyth...
Paid full price about a month ago. Got it about a week after that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back