Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 14, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #11,731 of 15,992
I tested the 2.0 firmware with my Apple TV 4K. I was able to get the Atmos logo to show with content from Tidal, Netflix, VLC, and HBO Now. I could not find any Atmos content on Amazon Prime, even when selecting 4K versions. I still get a lot of popping sounds when navigating the UI, but it is reduced from the previous firmware. I've had no new issues with the 2.0 firmware thus far.

BTW, Tidal did not output Atmos on the Apple TV 4K when I last tried it (before getting the Smyth hardware update in 2020), only 5.1. I had emailed Tidal to ask them to support Atmos output on the Apple TV and they said they would think about it. Looks like they addressed it since then.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #11,733 of 15,992
Sorry to bring this up again but I think enough time has passed since there has been any type of communication from Smyth Research.

In Kickstarter update 63 dated 07-09-2020 Smyth Research has said they were shipping to backers #289. Since that date has there been anyone in the Kickstarter or Pre-orders received their order since then?.

Things have been discussed here about unfortunate delays, but I wish to pose a question.? Has the French retailer has been able to receive units for his customers from the Smyth Research supplies before Smyth Research coming back to their Kickstarter and Pre-Paid customers..? or are his customers not receiving their orders as well.

Either Smyth Research are selling ALL the A16 units at full price and ignoring past orders or just holding stock waiting for new full priced orders and ignoring past orders.

Giving assurances that all Kickstarter and Prepaid orders will be fulfilled will have little meaning unless there is movement being seen again in shipping of such orders.
A Realiser AES just got delivered in Brussels - I believe straight from Ireland - according to forum HCFR :
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...-realiser-a16-voir-post-1-t30075654-2550.html

Another item : (not 100% sure though)
AV-in (French retailer) changed his delivery schedule on his web site +- 10 days ago : from formerly mentioning …deliveries in May…it is now changed into…available within 48 hours or handed over in person…:
https://av-in.com/collections/smyth-realiser/products/smyth-realiser-a16-format-horizontal

I wish something would resolve the kickstarter/preorder situation. One should always mention when emailing James :..."what about kickstarter/preorders"...
He would have a permanent reminder from every single email received.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 17, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #11,734 of 15,992
A Realiser AES just got delivered in Brussels - I believe straight from Ireland - according to forum HCFR :
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...-realiser-a16-voir-post-1-t30075654-2550.html

That link doesn't seem to work. I don't see any posts there regarding an AES A16. Mine hasn't been delivered yet.

Another item : (not 100% sure though)
AV-in (French retailer) changed his delivery schedule on his web site +- 10 days ago : from formerly mentioning …deliveries in May…it is now changed into…available within 48 hours or handed over in person…:
https://av-in.com/collections/smyth-realiser/products/smyth-realiser-a16-format-horizontal

He has also made the Atmos encoded Async files available to his customers.

Jun 17, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #11,735 of 15,992
That link doesn't seem to work. I don't see any posts there regarding an AES A16. Mine hasn't been delivered yet.

He has also made the Atmos encoded Async files available to his customers.
The link works for me. But you can see his answer on page 171 on the French forum. Guittet from HCFR bought an AES version and was apparently repeatedly in contact with James. I should have mentioned my source of info re the AES : page 147 from HCFR ( 29th January 2021) :
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...-realiser-a16-voir-post-1-t30075654-2190.html
..."I asked James Smyth for news, as I am still waiting for my a16 pro with aes digital in and out"...

I sincerely hope you get yours very soon !

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #11,736 of 15,992
Hi everyone! I hope this group of geniuses can help me out here. I’ve been a happy owner of a A16 for coming up two years soon (yes, I’m very lucky!). I originally had hopes to retire my oldish AVR when the A16 arrived, but since it’s plain AVR functions are pretty dire, I made the choice to keep the AVR to make regular speaker use easier. However it’s a crazy complexity to have 3 sources connected trough two devices and out to a projector. I ended up routing it all through the A16 and utilising audio bypass to decent success.

However, to simplify (I naively thought) I invested in a 4x4 hdmi matrix so I don’t have to have the A16 on every time the family wants to watch TV. It’s slow startup is so very tedious. So all devices are going into the matrix and it’s outputs go to the A16, the AVR and the projector. Perfect (it would seem…)

The matrix is a HDMI 2.0 and for some crazy reason won’t send out atmos!! I’ve tried all EDID settings and it won’t even send out Dolby true HD to the A16. It’s just the RED hdmi warning on the display. As soon as I switch to Dolby digital, it works. The old Denon AVR gets Dolby true HD no problem. If I bypass the matrix the atmos works. I’ve fiddled around with downgrade the A16 hdmi to 1.4 with no different results. I’m running the new 2.0 firmware and it’s the 16 channel non upgraded A16.

What’s going on? Can anyone please chime in with there best advice? Is the A16 still in such beta firmware that it’s the culprit? I wish I had some other atmos device to compare with.

I took a picture of the HDMI info page and the “rebooted by watchdog!” Seems a bit strange. What everything else means is somewhat beyond me…

Thanks!

Attachments

• 45E59D47-47AB-4F12-BBB9-62E0602296D6.jpeg
    45E59D47-47AB-4F12-BBB9-62E0602296D6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #11,738 of 15,992
What type of splitter are you using?

I've been using this with great success.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM22UfT

Great tip! Thanks! Although how do you make it work with just two outputs?

The one I tried was this.
https://www.auselectronicsdirect.com.au/hdmi-2.0-18gbps-4-input-4-output-matrix-switcher-s~30183

Emailed the retailer and they said it’s not compatible with atmos. So I’m gonna return it. Can’t for the life of me understand why atmos would be stopped by this device? Atmos is compatible with hdmi 1.4. Why would this be such a issue! I truly hate HDMI and it’s handshake issues. Is it down to copy protection and such?

Jun 17, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #11,739 of 15,992
Great tip! Thanks! Although how do you make it work with just two outputs?
Like most with older (non 4k) receivers.. it's kind of a strange setup. I send one of the outputs of the splitter to the input of the A16... And the other to the input of a HD Fury Vertex. The Vertex has two outputs.. one of which I send directly to the OLED... and the other to my AV receiver. I don't use the output or any other input of the A16

The main reason I use this splitter is to send Dolby Atmos audio to the A16... My AV receiver can only process Dolby TrueHD.

Like I said.. kind of a strange setup. But since I purchased a Realiser.. there's no real reason to upgrade my AV receiver to Dolby Atmos... I rarely listen to actual loudspeakers anymore. The A16 & Abyss 1266 TC/Raal SR1a combo.. is truly endgame!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #11,740 of 15,992
Hi,

Since I upgrade to the latest firmware on my standard A16, I sometimes hear a LOUD sound burst for a fraction of a second. Happens on average once or twice in an evening.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Jun 19, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #11,741 of 15,992
20210619_110548.jpg

These speakers create a center image like nothing I've ever heard before... These PRIRs are going to be very, very special!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #11,742 of 15,992
Those look really tasty, That is AweEsome!! OMG, those must be incredible. I love beryllium and diamond kickBOoUTY REALIsER GUUDS. Those composites are probably excellent too. Those have to be excellent speakers.

Keep it up. This looks like God's own Work,

You are potentially doing every headphone user in the world a massive service. I hope that Smyth Realiser sales kick, and pick up!!

There will be nothing else like this ever heard in A Pair of Slick Cans, EVER.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #11,744 of 15,992
Please do away with that pesky tweeter guard for all significant measurements, unless you think dispersion and localization is even better with it on those little pearls!
I doubt it would make much difference but sometimes such thing are an integral part of the technical design and removing them might degrade rather than improve.

And in this case there seem to be health/safety issues:
A few quotes from the document https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/notice_beryllium_web.pdf:
2.1. The tweeters contain a beryllium dome and must therefore be handled with caution.Users of the speakers must particularly ensure that the grille or all other protective parts of the tweeter are cared for and the beryllium must under no circumstances be removed from its original location.As a general rule, speakers must be kept out of the reach of children and specifically access to the tweeter and to the beryllium dome must be prevented.
2.3. As a general rule, contact with skin or eyes, inhalation or ingestion of all or part of the beryllium dome should be avoided.

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #11,745 of 15,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back