Smyth Research Realiser A16
Nov 15, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #10,771 of 15,987
A quick marketing talk about the Realiser at the Paris Audio Video Show 2020 by Gilles Gerin https://youtu.be/A5f672GEnPA (in french, of course).

Edit: The thing is actually playing DTS:X. It as also mentioned by Gilles multiple times, and with no qualifications or limitations (i.e. not Atmos now, DTS in the future) I initially thought that was just a static screenshot displaying. I hope certification is going along swifly, so we can all use that soon. a16-dtsx.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #10,772 of 15,987
A quick marketing talk about the Realiser at the Paris Audio Video Show 2020 by Gilles Gerin https://youtu.be/A5f672GEnPA (in french, of course).
I could notice on the video that on the unit Gilles brought, the DTS-X is activated. Could he be running on a soon-forthcoming firmware? Let’s hope so !

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #10,774 of 15,987

Edit: The thing is actually playing DTS:X. It as also mentioned by Gilles multiple times, and with no qualifications or limitations (i.e. not Atmos now, DTS in the future) I initially thought that was just a static screenshot displaying. I hope certification is going along swifly, so we can all use that soon.
Good Lord... I hope it's coming soon!

I have thousands of Blurays in DTSHD-MA.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #10,775 of 15,987
Good to see DTS-X being shown. If by the time that I receive my Realiser A16 my unit hopefully all the working functions will have been installed, modified and updated as advertised.

Just a bit fed up waiting.. and when I hear about the development of modified newer models etc, it feels as far away as ever for the manufacturing and delivering of the original 3-4 year old pre-order orders. Seems like they are doing our original orders when they find the time in between their new developments..

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #10,776 of 15,987
I've preordered 3 units at the end of December 2016......

Below you find the reply from James Smyth (from the 3rd of November) to an email I wrote the 12th of October

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply.

We are still shipping out KickStarter units, once complete we will begin pre-orders.
I estimate early next year you will receive your 3 units. This is a slow process I know, but everyone who pre-ordered will receive their units.
Thank you for your patience and support.

Regards
James

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #10,777 of 15,987
I've preordered 3 units at the end of December 2016......

Below you find the reply from James Smyth (from the 3rd of November) to an email I wrote the 12th of October

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply.

We are still shipping out KickStarter units, once complete we will begin pre-orders.
I estimate early next year you will receive your 3 units. This is a slow process I know, but everyone who pre-ordered will receive their units.
Thank you for your patience and support.

Regards
James

Than you for the info Anakin.
I am also prordered, 31October 2016 when the kickstarter had just ended.
Gives me some hope to receive my unit in the first half of ext year.
Hopefully by then HDMI 2.1 splitters will exist as well.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #10,778 of 15,987
Hi all,
I finally received my upgraded A16 today and was hoping to use eARC. But afterwards I saw its implementation is immenent as stated in the release note for FW 1.98. The strange thing is when I started tha A16 the first time or do a Full factory reset, eARC is selected as an input when turning the Audio Source button off in the main menu. I have added two pictures to show what I mean. I don't get an audiosignal though. Maybe its due to my TV LG OLED C9 .... But once I load a preset the input is changed and can't be changed back to eARC. So my question, has anyone been able to get eARC to work yet?

Attachments

• IMG_2633.jpg
    IMG_2633.jpg
    814.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    883.7 KB · Views: 0
Nov 16, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #10,779 of 15,987
Hi all,
I finally received my upgraded A16 today and was hoping to use eARC. But afterwards I saw its implementation is immenent as stated in the release note for FW 1.98. The strange thing is when I started tha A16 the first time or do a Full factory reset, eARC is selected as an input when turning the Audio Source button off in the main menu. I have added two pictures to show what I mean. I don't get an audiosignal though. Maybe its due to my TV LG OLED C9 .... But once I load a preset the input is changed and can't be changed back to eARC. So my question, has anyone been able to get eARC to work yet?

I am also waiting for the eARC update since I received my upgraded A16. So no, eARC is not active in the firmware yet.

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #10,780 of 15,987
Hi all,
I am also waiting for the eARC update since I received my upgraded A16. So no, eARC is not active in the firmware yet.

That makes three of us. eARC was the main reason for going through the headache of sending my A16 to be upgraded. I have both new consoles and a new graphics card that all support HDMI 2.1 so my setup has me connecting those directly to my tv and wanting to use eARC for audio. My workaround current is to run optical from my tv to the A16 so at least I can get 5.1 surround from the devices hooked to the tv directly.

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #10,781 of 15,987
Thanks for your answers.

Hmm that sucks. Was really looking forward to it. I was hoping that it would work after I saw that eARC is somehow selected as an input.

That makes three of us. eARC was the main reason for going through the headache of sending my A16 to be upgraded. I have both new consoles and a new graphics card that all support HDMI 2.1 so my setup has me connecting those directly to my tv and wanting to use eARC for audio. My workaround current is to run optical from my tv to the A16 so at least I can get 5.1 surround from the devices hooked to the tv directly.

I was also hoping to use it with the PS5 which will be coming out on thursday here in Germany. For now I will also have to use the optical in for Netflix and co. Though I wont be able to use the 24ch in that way. For the PS5 HDMI 2.0b should be enough atm as 4k/60Hz should be possible with it I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. Hope the next FW will come out soon and the gaming mode in near future.

Nov 16, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #10,782 of 15,987
Thanks for your answers.

Hmm that sucks. Was really looking forward to it. I was hoping that it would work after I saw that eARC is somehow selected as an input.

I was also hoping to use it with the PS5 which will be coming out on thursday here in Germany. For now I will also have to use the optical in for Netflix and co. Though I wont be able to use the 24ch in that way. For the PS5 HDMI 2.0b should be enough atm as 4k/60Hz should be possible with it I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. Hope the next FW will come out soon and the gaming mode in near future.

You are correct, right now to the best of my knowledge PS5 doesn’t not support 4K/120 or VRR for that matter so not much is being missed if you don’t connect it to HDMI 2.1 currently. I basically have my setup with all my consoles and PC connected directly to my tv which is a CX OLED and then my UHD Blu-Ray player and streaming boxes connected to the A16 directly.

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #10,785 of 15,987
putting this here for when we might need the files... https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/
Thank you very much for the link.
For your information both Gilles Gerin (as Section Editor) and Bruno Orrù (as reviewer) are also working for the magazine “Années Laser”.
(edit : Gilles does not work with dvdcritiques.com, only Orrù does for both magazines)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back