Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 27, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #7,951 of 15,989
I purchased two A-16s and only need one, so I'm selling a headstand A-16. I opened it to make sure everything was included, but have not used it at all. I also purchased a US power cord for it that I will include. (Smyth sent me three European power cords and no US cords!) Msg me with an offer if you are interested. USA only.

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #7,952 of 15,989
I purchased two A-16s and only need one, so I'm selling a headstand A-16. I opened it to make sure everything was included, but have not used it at all. I also purchased a US power cord for it that I will include. (Smyth sent me three European power cords and no US cords!) Msg me with an offer if you are interested. USA only.
Unfortunately, per James Smyth, Smyth LTD will not honor a warranty for an A16 Realiser purchased in the secondary market, even if it's NIB. Maybe you'd have better luck getting Smyth to take back your extra A16 for a restock fee if it is NIB.

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #7,953 of 15,989
Unfortunately, per James Smyth, Smyth LTD will not honor a warranty for an A16 Realiser purchased in the secondary market, even if it's NIB. Maybe you'd have better luck getting Smyth to take back your extra A16 for a restock fee if it is NIB.
Depends what price he is selling it.
Knowing that retail price is now 4,000$ if he got it at KS price, he can sell it way under these 4,000$, at a price for which the discount can balance the lack of warranty, and he may even still make a profit out of it.

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #7,954 of 15,989
Jan 27, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #7,955 of 15,989
Still have an issue. I reloaded the latest firmware, and it didn't reboot the speaker map screen. Instead it said "upload successful". After having that screen display for a full hour, i restarted (including pulling the plug) and the flash screen displayed for around 90 minutes before the speaker map screen came up. It's responsive now.

Anyone else having this issue? I don't know if it's a firmware or a hardware issue. Obviously the latter would be much more concerning.

On the positive side, I did get auto-eq's done for both the HD 800 and the LCD X.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #7,956 of 15,989
I also read in Smyth's 1.80 firmware notes, that asynchronous measurement has been added. Doesn't this require a digital recording of the test signals, though? Amyone know when Smyth plans to publish those?

Jan 28, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #7,957 of 15,989
I also read in Smyth's 1.80 firmware notes, that asynchronous measurement has been added. Doesn't this require a digital recording of the test signals, though? Amyone know when Smyth plans to publish those?

It does require digital files that Smyth needs to supply and I think the only info we have I’d from there firmware release notes where they say they’ll release them in “due time”.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #7,958 of 15,989
I've noticed a couple of other things.

(1) The audio input screen is extremely slow to respond, and it's possible to lock up the machine by pressing the "adj +" or "adj -" button before it responds to the previous command. I'm talking 30 seconds to a minute to respond to the remote command.

(2) I dont see the Surrey Room on my machine. Rooms 1-2 are the multi channel BBC room configurations, room 3 is a 7.1 BBC room, and rooms 5 through are the exact same stereo BBC room. Shouldn't there be Surrey rooms in there somewhere?

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #7,959 of 15,989
I've noticed a couple of other things.

(1) The audio input screen is extremely slow to respond, and it's possible to lock up the machine by pressing the "adj +" or "adj -" button before it responds to the previous command. I'm talking 30 seconds to a minute to respond to the remote command.

(2) I dont see the Surrey Room on my machine. Rooms 1-2 are the multi channel BBC room configurations, room 3 is a 7.1 BBC room, and rooms 5 through are the exact same stereo BBC room. Shouldn't there be Surrey rooms in there somewhere?

1. That seems like abnormal behavior. I’ve had a few lockup’s in the past 5-6 months, but using the “adj” buttons too quickly has never been a way to consistently lock it up.

2. If the Surrey room doesn’t exist (I can’t remember if it did on mine by default) then you have to create rooms using the Surrey speakers from the Surrey PRIR. The owner’s manual will walk you through it if you’re not sure how. There are enough speakers in the PRIR to create Surrey rooms from 2.0 to 9.1.6 configurations.

Jan 29, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #7,960 of 15,989
In February, it would be 6 months since the A16 started shipping. My question is why is Smyth Research not saying a word about DTS-X certification? You would almost think they have completely forgotten about it. Is it because they cannot use DTS-X certification as a convenient pretext to explain delays in shipping, as they did for Dolby Certification? Or is there some technical reason for this silence, which I really doubt? Personally, I am among those who pre-ordered, so I do not even have a number that would enable me to calculate approximate shipping times like the KS backers do.

I've found the most realistic posture in my case to consist in giving up hope of receiving my A16 this year (in 2020), because the lack of Pre-order numbers, and by extension, a publicly shared queue for the shipping of pre-orders simply leave room for all kinds of dirty tricks and shenanigans in shipping delays that Smyth might exploit to the hilt, if doing that would enable them to sell more A-16s at the new retail price and rake in more cash. Yes that sounds pretty sad and cynical, but Smyth Research have so far given me no reason to believe that they are above such cynical game-plays.

With all that said, it would really suck for me to receive an A-16 that still lacks DTS-X functionality, at some point in 2021, or whenever it arrives, if it is because the Smyths still do not have DTS-X certification, even that late in the game. Will that not be a first class bummer given all the waiting one has had to do?

Lastly, what about the very well touted Realiser Exchange website? Why is that still not up and running? What obstacles, if any, financial, technical, or otherwise, are holding that site back from implementation? Unfortunately, it seems the currently ongoing shipping process has merely served as an excuse to impoverish SR's communication, even further, to buyers and backers who do not yet have their A-16s, even if such buyers and backers still outnumber those who have been lucky enough to receive their units, so far.

Jan 29, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #7,961 of 15,989
.... it would really suck for me to receive an A-16 that still lacks DTS-X functionality....

Just out of curiosity, how popular is DTS-X format in the contents with the immersive audio these days? I know that DTS-X is not in the next generation of DTV standards including ATSC 3.0 and DVB-UHD. Is it used widely elsewhere? Standard DTS-X requires auto-calibration process which may be somewhat difficult for A16. The better approach here may be deploying a customized version of DTS Headphone:X utilizing PRIR....

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #7,962 of 15,989
Standard DTS-X requires auto-calibration process which may be somewhat difficult for A16.
With the DTS-X auto-calibration process a receiver determines the positions of the available speakers, yes? In the case of the A16: this information can be stored in the speaker select menu when doing a PRIR measurement. And then later this information can be used by the A16's DTS-X decoder. So I don't see a problem.
Just out of curiosity, how popular is DTS-X format in the contents with the immersive audio these days? I know that DTS-X is not in the next generation of DTV standards including ATSC 3.0 and DVB-UHD. Is it used widely elsewhere?
Who knows, maybe we don't really need DTD-X that much. But at the moment the A16 can not accept any DTS bitstream. Not old fashioned normal DTS. Not DTS-HD MA. Nothing. And that is very unpractical and annoying!

Jan 29, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #7,963 of 15,989
Just out of curiosity, how popular is DTS-X format in the contents with the immersive audio these days? I know that DTS-X is not in the next generation of DTV standards including ATSC 3.0 and DVB-UHD. Is it used widely elsewhere? Standard DTS-X requires auto-calibration process which may be somewhat difficult for A16. The better approach here may be deploying a customized version of DTS Headphone:X utilizing PRIR....

Well, I have no idea how popular it is, but it seems to me that its popularity is beside the point. That functionality was promised and advertised as a feature of the A-16 when I pre-ordered it, I mean "advertised," in the same way as many pre pros or AVRs which do ATMOS nowadays also come with DTS-X functionality. I just want the A-16 to come with all the Bells and whistles that were promised when I bought it, otherwise it cannot be considered to be a finished product. Besides, if it is still missing DTS-X functionality in 2021, I personally think that it should be a matter of grave concern for any owner, but that is just me. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #7,964 of 15,989
In February, it would be 6 months since the A16 started shipping. My question is why is Smyth Research not saying a word about DTS-X certification? You would almost think they have completely forgotten about it. Is it because they cannot use DTS-X certification as a convenient pretext to explain delays in shipping, as they did for Dolby Certification? Or is there some technical reason for this silence, which I really doubt? Personally, I am among those who pre-ordered, so I do not even have a number that would enable me to calculate approximate shipping times like the KS backers do.

I've found the most realistic posture in my case to consist in giving up hope of receiving my A16 this year (in 2020), because the lack of Pre-order numbers, and by extension, a publicly shared queue for the shipping of pre-orders simply leave room for all kinds of dirty tricks and shenanigans in shipping delays that Smyth might exploit to the hilt, if doing that would enable them to sell more A-16s at the new retail price and rake in more cash. Yes that sounds pretty sad and cynical, but Smyth Research have so far given me no reason to believe that they are above such cynical game-plays.

With all that said, it would really suck for me to receive an A-16 that still lacks DTS-X functionality, at some point in 2021, or whenever it arrives, if it is because the Smyths still do not have DTS-X certification, even that late in the game. Will that not be a first class bummer given all the waiting one has had to do?

Lastly, what about the very well touted Realiser Exchange website? Why is that still not up and running? What obstacles, if any, financial, technical, or otherwise, are holding that site back from implementation? Unfortunately, it seems the currently ongoing shipping process has merely served as an excuse to impoverish SR's communication, even further, to buyers and backers who do not yet have their A-16s, even if such buyers and backers still outnumber those who have been lucky enough to receive their units, so far.

It might be interesting to know that Smyth Research Ltd financial statements have always shown negative "capital and reserves" since the beginning :
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/NI063740

in GBP (31st March)
2013 : (61,617)
2014 : (72,109)
2015 : (69,633)
2016 : (90,930)
2017 : (156,706)
2018 : (273,652)
2019 : (281,720)

As you can see the further we go on in the timeline the higher the negative "capital and reserves" go. It means that their current assets (stock, debtors, cash at banks) have always been lower than what they owe to their creditors within the year ! That also means that he is spending more and more as years go by without turning up a profit. This is the definition of someone indebted ; but we know why, he is starting up a company and has not yet sold a lot of goods.

I am just giving you only facts, not excusing his behaviour towards his customers. It is like a startup, you need to have a lot of cash to make it go on and on and also without any hope of turning up a profit in the short term. Though if you read the PS below, it is mentioned in the financial statements...when the product is delivered, the profit will cover the remaining net shortfall...it sort of contradicts what I just said ! Is it true ? No idea...But to carry on legally a company losing money, you need a justification, at least in Belgium we need a justification + the absence of claims from unpaid creditors.

On the other end, the sooner he delivers the goods, the sooner he will be out of debt...THAT IS OUR HOPE FOR THE FUTURE.

For us it is more like a leap of faith or trusting blindly that the show will go on. Not only before receiving the A16 (which I already have) but also afterwards : we also desperately need the updates of firmware (DTS among others) and most of all the famous realiser exchange. I for one am stuck with the BBC and Surrey rooms which are not exactly to my liking.

To be optimistic, there is also this new Chinese partner and the will of Smyth Research Ltd to go on...speaking of the Chinese subsidiary Heavenly Sound (UK) Ltd of which Stephen Smyth is a director, the "capital and reserves" at 31st January 2019 are also negative : (GBP 361,172). But I am no accountant...

PS :
also mentioned in their financial statement :
1. Going concern

The balance sheet shows a shortfall of £281,720. The balance on the director's current account is £114,673. He intends to continue to support the company. This leaves a net shortfall of £167,047. At the balance sheet date, the company had received substantial advance orders for a new product. These were fully paid, but were not treated as sales. When the product is delivered, the profit will cover the remaining net shortfall.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back