Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 24, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #7,936 of 15,986
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that HDMI 2.0b was capable of VRR when keeping to 60Hz, I thought only eARC would work as that is offered in firmware upgrades for many receivers.
I did see LG had a firmware update that enables both eARC and VRR for their 2019 C9 and B9 models though.

Same thing here, I'll probably upgrade to one of the new LG (or Panasonic if they have a VRR one by then) OLEDs by the end of this year and replace my 2080ti with a 3080Ti.
I'll also be upgrading the Xbox One and PS4 as soon as they come out. I was under the impression those would have a higher 120Hz rate as well but I could be wrong.

But at least having HDMI 2.0b on the Realiser gives me some time to wait for a HDMI 2.1 replacement board.
Which could be out sooner than I have my Realiser, I have a 10/2016 preorder. I wonder when I can expect that one.

Meanwhile, I bought a cheap Marantz recviever with no speakers connected (I only use the phones out) to hook my 4 devices up and use standard output for the Mac and PS4, Dolby Atmos for Headphones with the PC and Xbox.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #7,937 of 15,986
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that HDMI 2.0b was capable of VRR when keeping to 60Hz, I thought only eARC would work as that is offered in firmware upgrades for many receivers.
I did see LG had a firmware update that enables both eARC and VRR for their 2019 C9 and B9 models though.

Same thing here, I'll probably upgrade to one of the new LG (or Panasonic if they have a VRR one by then) OLEDs by the end of this year and replace my 2080ti with a 3080Ti.
I'll also be upgrading the Xbox One and PS4 as soon as they come out. I was under the impression those would have a higher 120Hz rate as well but I could be wrong.

But at least having HDMI 2.0b on the Realiser gives me some time to wait for a HDMI 2.1 replacement board.
Which could be out sooner than I have my Realiser, I have a 10/2016 preorder. I wonder when I can expect that one.

Meanwhile, I bought a cheap Marantz recviever with no speakers connected (I only use the phones out) to hook my 4 devices up and use standard output for the Mac and PS4, Dolby Atmos for Headphones with the PC and Xbox.

I should say this is how I understand it to work although I don’t currently have any 2.1 devices.

The 2019 LG OLED lineup has HDMI 2.1 however there are currently no devices that output 2.1 yet. With the RTX lineup of cards and the Xbox One which supports VRR, you can indeed use it over the HDMI 2.0b output and current high speed HDMI cable that transmit 18 Gbps. I believe the GSync range on the TVs are 40-60hz at 4K (because HDMI 2.0 doesn’t have the bandwidth to send more than 60hz at 4K) and 40-120hz on any resolution 1440p and lower (since HDMI 2.0 does have enough bandwidth to handle those resolutions at 120hz). So I believe that currently you’d be fine using the Realiser to feed the LG OLED until we get into 3080 Ti territory. Then I think the limitations of 2.0b are really going to become apparent. I think less so with the new consoles because I don’t realistically see them able to push more than 60hz at 4K.

In the future it would be ideal for the Realiser to be able to be upgrade to a 2.1 board. Another option could be a combination of HDMI splitters and switches once 2.1 versions become available although that would be a much messier solution.

Jan 24, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #7,938 of 15,986
How long does it take you to make this full 9.1.6 measurement in this way?
It is a bit hard to say. I didn't keep track of the time and I sometimes had to repeat a step for various reasons. Microphones moving (In particular during the last step, the rear top speakers, I did these - different from Rene Lou - by sitting on the couch backwards, my legs upwards against the seatback, leaning my torso and head 45 degrees backwards, needing one hand to keep my body still and avoid falling of the couch and one hand to press the SPK button on the remote... :cartwheel: I could only check the position of the microphones afterwards and only after 4 or 5 tries they were still in place.) Sometimes I forgot to unmute my receiver after changing to another line output, then I would not hear sweeps and know I had to repeat this step.
Let's just say one afternoon. But if you do everything right the first time I guess it should be possible in one hour or so. (Assuming the amp and speakers are already in place.)
Do note however that now my aim was to practice the process reasonably fast, and for that reason I choose 4 second sweeps (although non-overlapping) and only 3 lookangles (only horizontal for up to +/-30 degrees headtracking), and I wasn't exteremely critical about the microphone placement.
Most importantly I did not accidentally press ENTER instead of BACK at the wrong moment (saving the PRIR before capuring all the speakers), because than you either have to start from the beginning again or you will have to do the rest in a seperate PRIR!
How convincing are the results?
Despite the short sweeps (actually also to avoid disturbing the neighbours too much, and for that reason I also choose the maximum 12 dB mic gain to get the softest possible sweeps) the result was quite good. The used speakers - 20+ year old Magnat Vector 6 - and room are mediocre but the positioning and distance of the virtal speakers sound real to me. I did not sense anything "unnatural"/"conflicting" as a result of the "manipulated" measurement.
BTW Did you have a chance to try out the the 2.0 measurement we did in my studio? Do you still like it?
That was one of the first things I did. I still like it but at the same time I have a feeling there is something wrong with it. At the moment I have no time to look into this more.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #7,939 of 15,986
There is no eARC in the A-16? Didn't we lose a whole year on the repeater board replacement and lose a bunch of functionality to get eARC? I had been hoping to get rid of my reciever if the A-16 ever shipped but now it look like I will have to buy a new receiver as well in order to be able to get Prime with out the 2 remotes 15 button pushes I have to do now.. Grrrrrrr.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #7,940 of 15,986
@sander99 Thanks for the answer. Vey cool.

BTW Did you have a chance to try out the the 2.0 measurement we did in my studio? Do you still like it?

That was one of the first things I did. I still like it but at the same time I have a feeling there is something wrong with it. At the moment I have no time to look into this more.

Okay, interesting. Please let me know when you found out.

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #7,941 of 15,986
There is no eARC in the A-16? Didn't we lose a whole year on the repeater board replacement and lose a bunch of functionality to get eARC? I had been hoping to get rid of my reciever if the A-16 ever shipped but now it look like I will have to buy a new receiver as well in order to be able to get Prime with out the 2 remotes 15 button pushes I have to do now.. Grrrrrrr.

No. The previous board was HDMI 2.0 on input 1 only. Other inputs were HDMI 1.4

Now we at least get HDMI 2.0 on all inputs. As stated earlier, MDS do not have HDMI 2.1 circuit yet. I contacted MDS months ago about the board A16 is now using and they confirmed it would not be possible to add eARC through firmware alone.

I hope for a future HDMI upgrade but I'm not holding my breath...

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #7,942 of 15,986
I just completed a successful factory reset. When I first loaded the 1.80 firmware, it locked up again, so I disconnected it and left it disconnected for 36 hours. When I reconnected it this afternoon, I regained control of the cursor and went straight to the factory reset page, it started and took around half an hour to finish. Contrary to what the instructions led me to expect, it went to the main screen, and not the speaker map screen, and the User 1 pre set showed reload in red. but I could move the cursor down and reload an atmos room, and then it reverted to the speaker screen. For now, since it does respond to remote commands, I'm going to leave it alone until I RTFM, and watch all the videos. Apparantly, and this is nothing I expected, it's possible to corrupt the presets, and this locks up the machine. Not sure it's even necessary to reload the firmware if this happens, but unplugging it, waiting for it to again become responsive (which appears to take hours, I know b/c I tried it after leaving it unplugged for 1-2 hours, and no cigar), and THEN doing the factory reset, appears to turn the trick. Definitely a glitch in the firmware. There should be a way to lock the presets, so they can't be corrupted, and a procedure to override the lock, and having one corrupt preset should NEVER lock up the machine. Until fixed, something of a minefield, that one and all need to watch out for.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #7,943 of 15,986
Is anyone actually registered in the Realiser Exchange? While I didn't expect much of anything, I attempted to register and create a user account, and I got a message that registration was "closed at this time" and I should "try again later." Anyone know if it's been open to registration anytime recently, and, if anyone is already registered can they get in, and, if they can, are there any PRIRs in there including but not limited to the Surrey and the BBC rooms?

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #7,944 of 15,986
I thought that Smyth Research would post an announcement on the availability and accessibility of the Realiser Exchange. As you got a message that registration was "closed at this time" and you should "try again later", I think that Smyth Research either should grey out the link to www.realiserexchange.com on their web site or post that “closed at this time” message when someone attempts clicking that Exchange button.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #7,949 of 15,986
are any of you connecting your A16 to a media player? are you able to get the A16 to playback a DTS-HD MA track on the media player? most media players have a passthrough option and I'm curious to know how the A16 handles that.
Unfortunately the A16 doesn't accept any DTS bitstream at all yet. We'll have to wait for DTS certification. Until then, if youy want to use DTS with the A16 you will have to decode DTS with an external device.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #7,950 of 15,986
The A16 is available at "For-Tune Shop" in Germany with a 20 days delivery estimate. The price is EUR 4.750... : https://www.for-tune.de/shop/advanc...ories_id=0&keywords=realiser+a16&inc_subcat=1

our search results for "realiser a16"

a16_19_zoll_01.jpg

Smyth Research A16 Realiser
Smyth Research A16 Realiser
Shippingtime:
red.png
approx. 20 days
(abroad may vary)
Weight: 3,5 kg per piece
4.750,00 EUR

incl. 19% tax excl. Shipping costs

Also look at : https://www.for-tune.de/shop/smyth-research-a16-realiser.html
they say that this product is compatible with Smyth Research sampling of MSM studios in München ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back