Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 28, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #7,711 of 15,989
I hope there is eventually an iOS app and/or a web interface.

I just read the A16 FAQ on the Smyth site and it says that there is a web server built-in that can be used for configuration. However, on my A16 the Network setting is disabled and the manual says nothing about this. I plugged in an Ethernet cable, checked my router, and I do not see any connection from the A16. Does anyone know how to get this to work?

Edit: Seems the FAQ is old. Found this in the manual: "Ethernet - 100BASE-T ethernet port for remote control of the A16 via a web-browser interface (not currently available)"

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #7,712 of 15,989
Seems the FAQ is old.
Yes, unfortunately there is a lot of info in the FAQ that doesn't apply anymore.
"amplifier for tactile devices": skipped.
Many things related to the changed HDMI board: "measurement sweeps over HDMI out" and "decoded dolby atmos etc. as PCM over HDMI": not possible anymore, and one improvement "HDMI input 1 supports HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2, others HDMI 1.4a/HDCP 1.4": now all are equal and support HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.2.
The web interface at least will come (I hope/expect).

Dec 28, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #7,713 of 15,989
If they even sell two or three A16s based on those designs, the benefit you as a customer gain from that in improved sustainability of the Smyth Research operation should be worth a lot more than the minuscule potential delay in shipping your unit.
The only thing that is going to do me any benefit is if they ship my damn unit. They keep getting side tracked on these stupid look projects like the old wood side panel plan rather than doing what people have already paid them to do. It wasn't just the time to stick these in a box and co-ordinate with the courier, how much time did they spend talking to the sales guy? Maybe they could have spent some time answering emails instead. Seriously if you want that stuff spend 5 mins on Amazon buy a roll and put it on yourself. Pick any design you want.

Dec 28, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #7,714 of 15,989
The only thing that is going to do me any benefit is if they ship my damn unit.
You are mistaken. If the Smyths decide that that business is not sustainable and fun anymore and close shop, you'll not receive any upgrades (possibly including DTS and Auro) or spare parts - that would be a rather big disadvantage. I do agree however on the topic of answering emails.

Dec 28, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #7,715 of 15,989
You are mistaken. If the Smyths decide that that business is not sustainable and fun anymore and close shop, you'll not receive any upgrades (possibly including DTS and Auro) or spare parts - that would be a rather big disadvantage. I do agree however on the topic of answering emails.

I agree. I also believe that the younger team members of Smyth can not really do the firmware re-programming and the final testing if a unit can go out. So I guess, that is their way to contribute to the business success of Smyth Research. I for my part will get one of these prints if they become available.

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #7,716 of 15,989
My HT unit. Is acting strange.
When useing it. The sound is not properly placed. I,e more sound in left ear...
Did full reset of a16. Updated new firmware. Still same problem. Any ideas?
Just notice, when in test mode. Press up on d pad. You get alot of info..
HT mode. Optical is in red.
Is this normal ?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #7,717 of 15,989
I agree. I also believe that the younger team members of Smyth can not really do the firmware re-programming and the final testing if a unit can go out. So I guess, that is their way to contribute to the business success of Smyth Research. I for my part will get one of these prints if they become available.
I believe that this "water transfer printing" can only be done by giving the part involved of the A16 to the company that makes it because the process is not that user friendly ; see part of the process in a You tube "do it yourself" :

upload_2019-12-29_9-26-9.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-29_9-24-41.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-29_9-24-41.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #7,718 of 15,989
I believe that this "water transfer printing" can only be done by giving the part involved of the A16 to the company that makes it because the process is not that user friendly ; see part of the process in a You tube "do it yourself" :

I specifically asked them and it is a foil you can apply yourself later to your A16.

Dec 29, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #7,719 of 15,989
Is this normal ?

Had the same problem with the A8 HT, stopped using it after about 1 week. I don't find that not using it breaks the illusion of speakers, rather using it does. Go figure.

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #7,720 of 15,989
It depends on the compexity of the shape that has to be covered. In the case of the "tubes" (as Smyth calls the black middle part of the A16 housing) all the curves and edges are such that a flat 2d foil can be wrapped around it without the need of some parts of the foil being stretched out. That simplifies things. It is different when you want to cover for example spheric shapes, that is impossible without some complex stretching of the foil and that's when you need to do difficult things like in your video.

Dec 29, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #7,721 of 15,989
Is this normal ?
(As always: I dont have my A16 yet so no experience with this, just trying to point you in the right direction hoping it helps you.)
You did follow the instructions in the parts:
'Updating the Head Tracker firmware' and 'Re-calibrating the Head tracker'
(in Firmware-rev-1.80-Dec-12-2019-update-instructions.pdf)?

Dec 29, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #7,722 of 15,989
Couple of basic questions that are not discussed in the manual:

- On the main menu, to the right of Audio Source there is an on/off slider control. What does it do?

- I'm using an Apple TV 4K which outputs multichannel PCM over HDMI. Should I set the HDMI to be Direct or upsample to Dolby Surround?

- When using the BBC rooms, is there any reason I would set them in Presets to be anything other that 9.1.6 ?

(I'm still re-reading the last 100 or so pages here, so apologies if these questions have already been answered.)

Dec 29, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #7,723 of 15,989
- On the main menu, to the right of Audio Source there is an on/off slider control. What does it do?
See https://smyth-research.com/wp-conte...-rev-1.75-Oct-15-2019-update-instructions.pdf
The part starting with:
4) Audio Source selection within Presets
The audio source can now be specified in User A presets. The original audio source selector located in the home page remains, but it must be disabled for the system to use audio sources specified by User A presets.
And read on from there for more details.
(The slider disables or enables the original audio source selector located in the home page as I understand it.)

Generally: if functionality is changed they descibe it in the document that goes with the update. In time I guess they will update the manual, but not with every update.
By the way, I see they have removed some of the older update-documents from the download page, so maybe it is smart to save them all. You never know when they come in handy.
(I did and do save all downloads that appear there.)

Dec 29, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #7,724 of 15,989
Generally: if functionality is changed they descibe it in the document that goes with the update. In time I guess they will update the manual, but not with every update.
By the way, I see they have removed some of the older update-documents from the download page, so maybe it is smart to save them all. You never know when they come in handy.
(I did and do save all downloads that appear there.)

Thanks! I did think to save the old firmware docs, since I just got my A-16 a few days ago (it came with 1.80) and they were already gone. I'm dependent on them updating the manual.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #7,725 of 15,989
I checked the older documents that came with firmware updates 1.02, 1.60, and 1.70, and they don't contain any "manual related" stuf. So if you follow 1.75 and upwards you will miss nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back