Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 1, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #138 of 15,986

calm down a bit
L3000.gif
 the price is without taxes etc. for europe they announced an additional VAT of £200

Oh well, still a bit of bargain, I see they even dropped down a bit... I hope pound exchange rate is still going downwards and not getting a massive peak at the time of payment. 
biggrin.gif

Pledged.

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #139 of 15,986
I mean, it's like $600 USD less! The base pledge amount is before factoring in shipping (on any order), tax, VAT... So it's like the baseline before logistical overhead. I bought an extra head-tracker for guests, just in case.

I liked the video too! Would love another video, maybe halfway through to keep us occupied, haha!

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #141 of 15,986
Looking at this- do I need a second head tracker? What is it for? And if I'm not keen on going around taking measurements, can I just use preset profiles- will they be available?

Aug 1, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #143 of 15,986
Looking at this- do I need a second head tracker? What is it for? And if I'm not keen on going around taking measurements, can I just use preset profiles- will they be available?

You'll only need a second head tracker if you want to use it together with a friend or family member since the A16 has enough cpu power to serve 2 headphones using different profiles.

When you skip doing a individual measurement you'll give away lots of the potential of this gear, i'd advise you to at least try it at home
with some speakers you have there and practise, you'll see it is not that hard to do. I'd definetly recommend that.

Having said that, Smyth will also be providing a online library with measurements done by other users which will grow over time, so you might find something which suits your head/ears/taste there.

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #145 of 15,986

Yes, the second head tracker is just for a second listener. My fiancé generally doesn't like movies or audio at home with headphones, but I went for a second tracker anyway.

I don't imagine taking measurements will be much more difficult than taking ear impressions for CIEMS :wink: You just have to find different places. I believe Smyth said they will include generic PRIRs... Which is good, since I don't know where I could find an Ambisonics setup! Apparently there may even be an option for using one speaker in the home, and moving it around to different positions... That would take a bit of measurement (and painter's tape), but as someone who used to have to drive to new locations weekly and set up a photography lighting studio, it's really not as intimidating as you might think. With the one speaker method, you only have to use up an afternoon once to get the PRIR you'll use indefinitely.

There were even rumors of a sweep method? Turning your head and letting the head tracker save the results from different positions? That may not be ready yet, but seems like one of those theoretically possible things.

The launch of the Realiser library/exchange website is also featured on the Kickstarter page... That should give you some hope as well.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #146 of 15,986
As much as I hate Kickstarter, I've backed this project.  It helps that I have one of the early Realiser A8's, and have personally known the people behind my absolute favorite audio toy.  

What really sealed the deal for me was the fact that the Realiser A16 is pretty much a stand alone product, where the decoders are built in, and the big one, USB input and ASIO drivers for computer use.   That's really huge for me, as I watch most of my movies on a computer.  

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #147 of 15,986
As of August 1 15:11 New York EST
Already 172 backers at the first price point of £720
Interestingly there is 1 backer at £800

With the falling Pound, maybe that £720 be less than $1000 by the time Kickstarter+Smyth Research charges.

paul

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #149 of 15,986

Users who are viewing this thread

Back