Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 24, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #12,556 of 15,989
Since most of us who write and read here are interested in a device that virtualizes speakers, early this morning I’ve travelled to the Paris Audio Video Show 2021 once again virtually.
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/reportage-hcfr-paris-audio-video-show-2021-ce-we-au-fil-des-stands/

Our oldest acquaintance Smyth Research is there, represented by Gilles Gerin.
P1.jpg

Another photo of Smyth Realiser A16 Speaker Edition setup.
P2.jpg

In my opinion, it’s a theatre-like situation. A mask smiles when it sees the new A16 Speaker Edition, but on the other hand a mask cries when it knows that the original A16 devices haven’t yet delivered to all kickstarter supporters and those who sent pre-orders.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #12,557 of 15,989
As I previously wrote, I second your opinion that, for example, only 6 virtual speakers are needed for rendering original 5.1 DTS audio. However, I’m somewhat confused with what I can see in your attached photos. For me, it follows that you’ve enabled DTS: Neural X up-mixer for HDMI(1), as shown in the manual, at page no. 56, 9.2.8 PCM Audio management.

Usually, I think that there’s no need for separate DTS listening rooms based on the number of virtual speakers. If the original soundtrack doesn’t include metadata for certain audio objects, then over- or height-speakers are not active.

Also, in the manual, at page no. 56, 9.2.13 DTS direct: “When enabled, decoded legacy DTS bitstreams are output in their native format and are not subject to Neural:X up mixing. This mode is used when the user wishes to hear the audio exactly as the producer intended.”

Coming back to these observations now that I've had a chance to review the manual and what originally I'd set up "in the blind", a few comments.

(1) I've now enabled "DTS Direct" on Page 2 of the "pure" 5.1 and 7.1 presets for DTS delivered as "bitstream" coming from my Oppo BDP-203 when playing discs that have DTS audio. This includes the old lossy 5.1 DTS Digital Surround as well as the newer lossless 7.1 DTS-HD MA.

I'm not sure that even without enabling this option (which by implication activates the DTS Neural:X upmixer) that any "harm" was done, since my listening rooms didn't have any other speakers in it besides the real 5.1 and 7.1 ear-level speakers from the original AIX PRIR's. But I agree that it does seem appropriate to set DTS Direct.

So, for example, the 7.1 preset 11 (intended for DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio coming from BluRay discs like "Les Miserables") is set up as follows:

Lah0u4.png
ROUnKd.png

(2) I don't think the comment about my having enabled upmixing for HDMI(1) as discussed in section 9.2.8 PCM Audio Management is accurate. Section 9.2.8 only pertains to arriving input PCM data, not bitstream data which is what I've got the Oppo set to for its HDMI audio output. As it turns out I have no upmixing specified for HDMI source in the PCM Audio Management page in the preset, even though it really doesn't apply.

Again for example, the 7.1 preset 11 (intended for DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio coming from BluRay discs like "Les Miserables") has its PCM Audio set up as follows:

wayqbz.png

(3) The effect of these settings when, for example, playing "Les Miserables", now shows the following speaker map and stream analysis for the incoming DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio (stream type shown as "DTS-HD" by the A16):

INuBEf.png
epqckB.png

(4) In contrast, a standard older lossy DTS Digital Surround (e.g. Eagles "Hell Freezes Over") looks as follows (stream type shown as "DTS" on speaker map and "dtsM" on stream analysis):

rMujWl.png
QPhhVe.png

(5) And finally, for genuine DTS:X audio (e.g. "Apollo 13") it looks as follows (stream type shown as "DTS:X"):

rVRBpP.png
7FcRE2.png

Note that with preset 12 that does NOT have "DTS Direct" enabled but is supporting a 7.1.4h listening room, the DTS Neural:X upmixer WILL self-activate when non-DTS:X audio is fed to it and thus the additional speakers in the room need to be virtualized. For example if "Les Miserables" which only has DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio is played through this preset, the four additional virtual speakers WILL be facilitated. And things will now look as follows:

XFUrBT.png
p0dfCi.png

I would say the Smyth brothers have done a fantastic job here with this extremely robust feature rollout. I have not run into a single glitch yet.

And it sounds fabulous!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #12,559 of 15,989
Was there any rumours that A16 (possibly with the new hardware) could be upgraded to DTS X pro? I wonder if this will be another upgrade cost or included in the $200?

I just sent the email to James to upgrade. I don’t really need it but I feel I wanna support the Smyth’s as much as possible.

Regarding the speaker edition. I’m kinda intrigued. When I first saw it I just assumed it would be custom beamforming (yarra?!) speakers, but it (allegedly) works with any two speakers. I wonder what’s the magic sauce?

Anyone who attended and tried this, let us know your experience please!

Oct 24, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #12,560 of 15,989
Was there any rumours that A16 (possibly with the new hardware) could be upgraded to DTS X pro? I wonder if this will be another upgrade cost or included in the $200?

I just sent the email to James to upgrade. I don’t really need it but I feel I wanna support the Smyth’s as much as possible.

Regarding the speaker edition. I’m kinda intrigued. When I first saw it I just assumed it would be custom beamforming (yarra?!) speakers, but it (allegedly) works with any two speakers. I wonder what’s the magic sauce?

Anyone who attended and tried this, let us know your experience please!
Well, if they have a patent or patents on it, those should be publicly available. If you're lucky maybe the abstract is enough to get a rough idea what's going on.

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #12,563 of 15,989
I’m wondering whether Audio XD / AUDIO-3D created a white paper dealing with the Smyth Realiser A16 as a basis for the Smyth Realiser A16 Speaker Edition.
That he’s unlikely to do, it’ll give away his secret sauce :).

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #12,566 of 15,989
To the best of my knowledge, white papers are public documents. I’ve got a pair of KEF R3 speakers and I could download a document called rseries2018-white-paper, which didn’t give away their secret sauce.
His white papers are there in the link, how he couples it with the realiser via software manipulating the capture settings and the PRIRS? Or additional hardware? I don’t believe that information is out there, unless someone buys it and does a teardown.

Oct 24, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #12,567 of 15,989
Section 6.4.4 of the V2.0 manual says:
6.4.4 Changing the HPEQ filename, subject and layout
The filename, layout and subject fields of internal and recycle HPEQ files can be edited using the standard text entry method up to a maximum of 32 characters for each.

This was copied from the preceding PRIR file section, but in fact when looking at an HPEQ in the Files->Internal HPEQ list I can edit the Phones and Subject fields. When I press "Enter" to accept the edit, a message flashes up at the bottom of the screen saying "Updating file information".

But I can find no evidence anything has changed - going back to that file in Files->Internal HPEQ shows the original information, not the edited information, and there's nothing new in the recycle buffer.

Does anyone know if/how this works?

Oct 24, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #12,568 of 15,989
Oct 24, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #12,569 of 15,989
Section 6.4.4 of the V2.0 manual says:
6.4.4 Changing the HPEQ filename, subject and layout
The filename, layout and subject fields of internal and recycle HPEQ files can be edited using the standard text entry method up to a maximum of 32 characters for each.

This was copied from the preceding PRIR file section, but in fact when looking at an HPEQ in the Files->Internal HPEQ list I can edit the Phones and Subject fields. When I press "Enter" to accept the edit, a message flashes up at the bottom of the screen saying "Updating file information".

But I can find no evidence anything has changed - going back to that file in Files->Internal HPEQ shows the original information, not the edited information, and there's nothing new in the recycle buffer.

Does anyone know if/how this works?
I actually change the name of the HPEQ to something like HD 800 with manloud for Metas, save it into the internal file and copy it into the microsd card. I don't do that at the level of the recycle files b/c they will drop off as you accumulate further EQs. Then I use the eq with that name in building my Preset. When you go to the preset and it asks you to select it, the eq will come up, but it will be either the autoeq or the flat eq (depending on your initial curve employed), you have to change it to manloud and then hit select. When that eq becomes part of the preset, go to the speaker map, press the up botton and around 2/3 down the page it will tell you which headphone eq you are using and whether you are using the auto/flat or the manLOUD version.

Oct 24, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #12,570 of 15,989
On the one hand, I'm happy they are able to innovate around the A16 and come up with all these new versions. On the other hand, if they have money to do this kind of thing, they should also have the resources needed to fulfill their obligations to the remaining kickstarter backers and preorders. I think it's about time they start shipping again and live up to their promises to those folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back