Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #901 of 16,010
Isn't that a good thing of the presets and ability to download/ use user generated measurements of their setups? Someone who hasn't got a full blown atmos setup, can use someone else's "room" with their high quality equipment and use that in their own environment. Yes, you do know you are not stitting in a cinema or high quality recording studio but it makes it sound like it.

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #902 of 16,010
As someone who really enjoys virtual surround even with music and movies etc (as long as it's done right and doesn't come with the typical audio quality hit), this is getting me highly interested. I'm not fancying the design much though, but I saw also a different more traditional design similar to A8 comes out as well, is this true? I simply don't have the space height wise to fit the headphone stand-like design on my computer desk without blocking my TV or monitor (they are side by side) and I wouldn't want to put it behind the monitor either.

Is also a traditional "box" design coming out, does anyone know? Will subscribe for impressions without doubt and possibly put down a preorder depending on user impressions, luckily the pre-order for 20% discount is available until end of September.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #903 of 16,010
As someone who really enjoys virtual surround even with music and movies etc (as long as it's done right and doesn't come with the typical audio quality hit), this is getting me highly interested. I'm not fancying the design much though, but I saw also a different more traditional design similar to A8 comes out as well, is this true? I simply don't have the space height wise to fit the headphone stand-like design on my computer desk without blocking my TV or monitor (they are side by side) and I wouldn't want to put it behind the monitor either.

Is also a traditional "box" design coming out, does anyone know? Will subscribe for impressions without doubt and possibly put down a preorder depending on user impressions, luckily the pre-order for 20% discount is available until end of September.

Yes there is a more traditional shaped model coming out. It's called the 2U. You can see a basic idea of the shape and ports from these photos posted by Smyth Research on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmythResearch/photos/pcb.1819620151634944/1819620111634948/?type=3&theater

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #904 of 16,010

If you pre-order, they will send you an email asking whether you want the traditional (a8 looking) design, or the new design. I personally chose the older looking design (2U).

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #905 of 16,010
Thanks guys.

I also saw a diagram regarding latencies in various modes:

Latency for gaming is obviously a concern but seems like it's able to operate as low as 3 ms for gaming but I'm wondering what does the Game mode "Single user 48 upmix" which brings latency to 32 ms mean in this case? What does it do when it upmixes channels with a headphone, I understand DOWNmixing 7.1/5.1 to stereo is obivously a thing but upmix?

45825f98862a68a856fff0ddb4e590f2_original.jpg

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #906 of 16,010
...Latency for gaming is obviously a concern but seems like it's able to operate as low as 3 ms for gaming but I'm wondering what does the Game mode "Single user 48 upmix" which brings latency to 32 ms mean in this case? What does it do when it upmixes channels with a headphone, I understand DOWNmixing 7.1/5.1 to stereo is obivously a thing but upmix?...

I expect that it is the extra delay due to using the Illusonic up-mixer to create additional channels before converting to virtual 3D stereo for the headphones.

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #907 of 16,010
I had a demo of the A16 at CanJam. The sound was pretty much an exact match to the speakers it had sampled. I was using some Stax earspeakers. Given that the sound was almost indistinguishable from the original source using decent quality headphones, I think most people will be happy with the result and will not feel the need to add dacs

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #908 of 16,010
Ok, had my measurements taken at the canjam and had a really good demo of movie and game clips.

I'm sold.

Even though I already fully paid off the a16 I was on the fence if I am going to keep the pre-order. After the demo, all doubts vanished:)

This thing is crazy good!!

You just can't tell you are wearing headphones. Once the video clip plays you still think it's coming out the speakers until you take them off and the actual speakers start playing. You put the headphones back on and the sound continues with no difference.

This is the first time I actually experienced the "out of head" sound and I heard a lot of virtual sound solutions from Dolby headphone, dts headphone x, Dolby atmos for headphones etc.
None of them are anywhere close to the a16.

Telling all directions including heights is so easy and natural it's unbelievable and not cramped in your head at all.

They use the Stax with an additional stax amp at the demo and I hope my HD800S will sound similar without and amp and according to Stephen it's not really needed but an option if required.

Stephen and James are brilliant and we're very helpful in answering questions.

Now it's just a matter of waiting.
Hi, I was there too. I've had the Stax and have had HD800 at the same time. I sold the Stax as I preffered the HD 800. The S model will be fine for the A16 and the HD800s have been used extensively by Smyth in their demos. I'm interested in what my AKG K1000s will sound like. I suspect they won't be quite enough for the subwoofer response, so inevitably they'll be sold on in the future

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #909 of 16,010
I think what he meant is that you were seeing what you should hear, which is the very ideal situation where the brain merely tries to associate audio with the visual cues it trusts above all else. much easier to make that work than having to really create everything from sound while the visual cues tell another story. having head tracking is a big deal to make us feel like it's in the real world, but it's not the all story.
to take an extreme example, if your playback system doesn't have any output aside from the headphone(no speakers, no internal tweeters, nothing even plugged in), you will never wonder if the sound comes from speakers. because your brain knows you don't have speakers. that's the sort of basic brain tricks and preconceptions we're involved with. having speakers on my desk, and the fact that I can switch the output with keyboard shortcuts, this is enough to introduce doubt in my head and somehow I feel like my headphone experience(even with a crappy crossfeed) is better since the speakers are on the desk ^_^. I would expect that to be true(at least for me) with a multichannel system in the room while listening to the headphone. even a dead cheap system, just to have physical sound sources in directions I should expect to have some.

of course I'm not trying to diminish what the Realiser does, if the audio cues were badly simulated we would notice it.
The Engineer suggests a full size poster of some decent size speakers laser printed and put on the left and right side of your wall. He agrees that the visual cue is extremely important in creating the illusion of listening to speakers. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50% of the experience without seeing something that resembled loudspeakers in your listening room.
But what an experience it was in the CanJam room.......

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #910 of 16,010
what did they play in the demo ? movie clip or music ?

was it heavy bass ?

also one more question , any clue what was the STAX model ?

from your impressions ,, i cant hold my self to put my hands on it ,, i hope they deliver it as promised

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #911 of 16,010
what did they play in the demo ? movie clip or music ?a helicopter simulation and Mad Max Fury Road as a film clkp
There was lots of bass from the action
was it heavy bass ?

also one more question , any clue what was the STAX model ?SR-L300 system.which retails at £725including the energiser.

from your impressions ,, i cant hold my self to put my hands on it ,, i hope they deliver it as promised

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #912 of 16,010
Just the Dolby atmos demo disc with the usual atmos trailers, movie trailers ( mad max was amazing!!) and game demos

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #913 of 16,010
Thanks a lot

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #915 of 16,010
I currently have the AKG K712 for the past 6 years... struggling with whether I should buy the HD800 or HD800S or buy nothing. Im almost 100% movies. Wanted that big bass impact you get from a sub or something similar. Already ordered A16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back