Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 13, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #8,551 of 16,011
Just as a follow up about shipping back to the UK for the upgrade. Best I can tell from UPS is that there are two options when it comes to return shipping. The ideal one would be the UPS Return method that is ~$86. However it seems like for that to actually happen, we would need Smyth Research to generate us return labels. I reached out to James with an email letting him know that, and I haven't gotten a response. So I assume that is probably off the table.

I'm assuming that leaves us on our own, which I know is what James said in his email announcing the update program. With that being the case we're on the hook for about $250 to get it A16 to the UK and I'm assuming the cost will be the same for the return leg of that journey. We are probably looking at somewhere around $500 in shipping on top of the $500 we'll pay to Smyth Research for the updated hardware. Not going to lie, that's going to sting a bit, but I'm not sure we have any other options when it comes to shipping, especially if we're trying to get our units back to the UK in a timely manner.
Oh dear...really wish that the Smyth can help their customer for a bit...bc as you said..it will Sting...

Apr 13, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #8,552 of 16,011
Is that what you’re planning on using?
Actually, I'm not sending my A16 back for modification. I was just thinking about my return of Stax SR-009 to Japan via Fedex International Economy, which cost me $100.

I haven't pursued this alternative to UPS right now for the A16 back to Smyth, but I assume it would be worth contacting Fedex to see what they offer. I believe when I tried to investigate for myself online two years ago I couldn't get an acceptable reasonable and satisfactory quote, so I phoned them and was put through to the special international desk assistance people. Amazingly they were able to give me this $100 quote (with them handling all of the logistics and "license" etc. for $10) and I signed up.

That was in 2018. Things may be different today, but it's at least worth a phone call to them to check it out.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #8,553 of 16,011
Oh dear...really wish that the Smyth can help their customer for a bit...bc as you said..it will Sting...

I’m honestly not expecting them to be a part of any of the shipping process. They were pretty clear in the beginning that it was our responsibility. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask though.

Actually, I'm not sending my A16 back for modification. I was just thinking about my return of Stax SR-009 to Japan via Fedex International Economy, which cost me $100.

I haven't pursued this alternative to UPS right now for the A16 back to Smyth, but I assume it would be worth contacting Fedex to see what they offer. I believe when I tried to investigate for myself online two years ago I couldn't get an acceptable reasonable and satisfactory quote, so I phoned them and was put through to the special international desk assistance people. Amazingly they were able to give me this $100 quote (with them handling all of the logistics and "license" etc. for $10) and I signed up.

That was in 2018. Things may be different today, but it's at least worth a phone call to them to check it out.

Appreciate the suggestion. I’ll look into it. If FedEx can get something there relatively quick, insured, and at a much cheat rate than anyone else I’d be all for it.

Edit: I looked into it real quick through their online quote page and it looks like it's in the $260 through FedEx.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #8,554 of 16,011
I’m honestly not expecting them to be a part of any of the shipping process. They were pretty clear in the beginning that it was our responsibility. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask though.

Appreciate the suggestion. I’ll look into it. If FedEx can get something there relatively quick, insured, and at a much cheat rate than anyone else I’d be all for it.

Edit: I looked into it real quick through their online quote page and it looks like it's in the $260 through FedEx.
Should we also wait for James to let us know when to ship our A16 btw?

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #8,555 of 16,011
Should we also wait for James to let us know when to ship our A16 btw?

He made it sound like he would reach out after invoices are paid to let us know when to ship, but I’m not 100% sure.

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #8,556 of 16,011
He made it sound like he would reach out after invoices are paid to let us know when to ship, but I’m not 100% sure.

I don't think it sounded like we need to wait for anything, the invoice states:

Please ship your Realiser A16 unit ONLY, no cables, or accessories. We recommend you use UPS or DHL when shipping. Please ship you A16 unit to: ...

Does not sound to me we need to wait for anything.

To be honest, we should all hurry up shipping the A16's, otherwise May 22nd to complete all the upgrades is going to be unrealistic. Since they are going to work on the upgrades in one go, just one delayed shipment is going to delay the upgrade for everyone.

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #8,557 of 16,011
But then if they waited to complete all scheduled KS/Preorders shipping before bothering with the upgrades, wouldn't that create another logistical nightmare, namely, the prospect of having every single and already shipped A-16 re-shipped back to Bangor for the upgrade? The slowness of the "normal" shipping process they have adopted so far is already "epic" and unprecedented, and will most likely not be completed before 2021, that is assuming Covid-19 related complications do not throw more obstacles in the way. So imagine waiting till some point in 2021 to complete shipping, and then immediately recalling all shipped A-16's back to Bangor for an upgrade that could have been done in 2020, an upgrade request that would come with all kinds of renewed anxieties about the logistics of shipping, all over again. Can you imagine the uproar from A-16 owners...?

Note that we have not even touched upon DTS-X and Auro 3D upgrades yet, and what other complications those two might generate, if the upgrades cannot completely be done via firmware. The other note is that the above statement shouldn't in any way be confused with any attempt on my part to defend the Smyths. I'm just weighing the pros and cons of these two options, without claiming to know anything else about the real motivations or plans of the Smyths.

Oh, and by the way, there are still no fully working A-16s in existence yet, as far as I know, if by fully working, you're referring to an A-16 furnished with all its originally promised features. The present version of the A-16 that is currently shipping is still a work in progress, as we all know, and will remain that way, even after this particular round of upgrades. Sorry for having to state the obvious.
When talking about upgrading I am refering to upgrading the ones already sent out. I don't see how a later upgrade window would create more logistical problems than doing it right now. It would probably be roughly the same number of upgrades.

Also, I'm not so sure about the "obvious" about not being fully working. No it does not have all the features but it works. And the upgraded version will still not have all promised features. Sorry for stating the obvious....

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #8,558 of 16,011
I don't think it sounded like we need to wait for anything, the invoice states:

Does not sound to me we need to wait for anything.

To be honest, we should all hurry up shipping the A16's, otherwise May 22nd to complete all the upgrades is going to be unrealistic. Since they are going to work on the upgrades in one go, just one delayed shipment is going to delay the upgrade for everyone.

Normally I’d agree, but I did ask James this: “My invoice is due in April 19th which is fine. When are you expecting us to send back our units? Right around the 19th? I guess what I’m asking is by what date would you like my unit to arrive to you?”

His response to that last week: “Once everyone has paid we will email all customers with a date to ship your unit.
Again we want to receive all units roughly in the same week.

I'll be in touch on the 20th April.”

Take that for what’s it worth. Probably no harm in shipping early, but you may be without your A16 longer than you need to be if they aren’t going to ask for units to arrive to them until the beginning of May for example. You could certainly reach out and ask them if you can ship whenever you’re ready.

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #8,559 of 16,011
Normally I’d agree, but I did ask James this: “My invoice is due in April 19th which is fine. When are you expecting us to send back our units? Right around the 19th? I guess what I’m asking is by what date would you like my unit to arrive to you?”

His response to that last week: “Once everyone has paid we will email all customers with a date to ship your unit.
Again we want to receive all units roughly in the same week.

I'll be in touch on the 20th April.”

Take that for what’s it worth. Probably no harm in shipping early, but you may be without your A16 longer than you need to be if they aren’t going to ask for units to arrive to them until the beginning of May for example. You could certainly reach out and ask them if you can ship whenever you’re ready.
Well, i sent my confirmation email to Smyth regarding my upgrade and all details etc..I choose UPS..
Received their invoice email, with the same details as for Got the shakes ..Still wondering how to work out this part: "Please state when shipping that your A16 unit is being shipped back for 'return for service / repair' ..?
Is it like something we should write down directly on the packaging or an option to select with the courier company?

Apr 14, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #8,560 of 16,011
I don't get how they can prioritize upgrading fully working A16 units over shipping unfulfilled kickstarters and preorders.. Why not just wait with the upgrades until all the previous commitments are fulfilled? Is it the financial reasons still?

This is what you said: They should "wait with the upgrades until all the previous commitments re fulfilled." In my own words, hold off on trying to upgrade those that have already shipped until all the shipping is done." See? I don't think I misunderstood what you said, I just had a different view of things, but all of that is just par for the course. It's not as if your opinion or mine matter to the Smyths.

When talking about upgrading I am refering to upgrading the ones already sent out. I don't see how a later upgrade window would create more logistical problems than doing it right now. It would probably be roughly the same number of upgrades.

Also, I'm not so sure about the "obvious" about not being fully working. No it does not have all the features but it works. And the upgraded version will still not have all promised features. Sorry for stating the obvious....

Sorry, but I am not getting the point of this sparring, or where it is supposed to lead. Just have it your way already, if that works for you. This isn't going to get us anywhere, and the Smyths are not listening. They are the ones you have your beef with, apparently, not me. Have a good day, sir.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #8,561 of 16,011
Well, i sent my confirmation email to Smyth regarding my upgrade and all details etc..I choose UPS..
Received their invoice email, with the same details as for Got the shakes ..Still wondering how to work out this part: "Please state when shipping that your A16 unit is being shipped back for 'return for service / repair' ..?
Is it like something we should write down directly on the packaging or an option to select with the courier company?

This is what I was told last week:

“2. Please state that your unit is being returned for“warranty return for service/repair service”.
3.Also write “warranty return for service/repair service” on the outside of the box you're sending the unit back in.
4.And leave a paper note inside the package describing this is a “warranty return for service/repair service”

You should ask UPS if they can advise any more on this as they deal with these questions daily.”

Numbers 3 and 4 are self explanatory. There isn’t really an option on UPS.com to state number 2 though. Also if they are going to email us after invoices are paid, there is a chance that they provide some clearer instructions.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #8,562 of 16,011

I had a similar first impression when I was shipping my SR-009 to Japan. Much more than I was looking to pay. So I phoned them, just to see if there was something I was missing or some other alternative method of shipping. That's when I was told to wait a minute, and then was offered "$99". Out of the blue.

Worth a phone call, just to see if they have something like that today. Can't hurt.

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #8,563 of 16,011
I had a similar first impression when I was shipping my SR-009 to Japan. Much more than I was looking to pay. So I phoned them, just to see if there was something I was missing or some other alternative method of shipping. That's when I was told to wait a minute, and then was offered "$99". Out of the blue.

Worth a phone call, just to see if they have something like that today. Can't hurt.

I’ll see what happens if I call both FedEx and UPS, but with COVID-19 issues getting through to them isn’t easy. Actually the UPS email customer support basically made it sounds like that $260 price was pretty firm. I’ll see what FedEx can offer.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #8,564 of 16,011
I would have probably done the hardware upgrade if the world situation was normal, but given current events I’m holding off. I was given a soft promise from James (once he finally answered me) that this upgrade will be available again, and that sealed the deal. I’m keeping my A16 to enjoy life a little more through this lockdown.

Have there been any news regarding test sweeps through HDMI out with the new HDMI board? Will that work now? It’s so strange that this feature was lost even though they upgraded the HDMI board from what it was initially. (thanks HDR...)

I was searching through the old postings here regarding the HDMI out functions and there is quotes from Mike answering @sander99 regarding HDMI LPCM out and pass through. I just tried pass through and it didn’t work. Do anyone know if that‘s a hardware or software issue?

Hello Sander,​
The limitation I described is when the audio bitstream is being decoded and the video bitstream is being looped thru the unit. Essentially you can't inject more than two channels of 'generated' audio into the looped-thru video. It's a physical issue in the design of the HDMI board - MDS switched to using Silicon Image devices in order to accommodate HDR but the downside was this audio restriction in the output channels.​
However in stand-by mode, where you want to by-pass the A16, then the audio and video bitstreams (including 7.1 pcm) should both loop-thru the A16 without any alteration. In this case you could use your current AV to receive this signal, and decode it as normal. This is a sort of 'active' standby (or pass-thru) since the HDMI board is powered up.​
Yes, the analogue outputs will provide a standard AV mode of operation.​
Hope this helps.​
Mike​

However, if they ever license Dirac Live, I’m sending my A16 in the same day!!

Stay safe everybody!

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #8,565 of 16,011
I would have probably done the hardware upgrade if the world situation was normal, but given current events I’m holding off. I was given a soft promise from James (once he finally answered me) that this upgrade will be available again, and that sealed the deal. I’m keeping my A16 to enjoy life a little more through this lockdown.

Have there been any news regarding test sweeps through HDMI out with the new HDMI board? Will that work now? It’s so strange that this feature was lost even though they upgraded the HDMI board from what it was initially. (thanks HDR...)

I was searching through the old postings here regarding the HDMI out functions and there is quotes from Mike answering @sander99 regarding HDMI LPCM out and pass through. I just tried pass through and it didn’t work. Do anyone know if that‘s a hardware or software issue?

However, if they ever license Dirac Live, I’m sending my A16 in the same day!!

Stay safe everybody!

Did you turn passthrough on? It was added in a software update some months back. It's buried like three menus deep. From the home menu go to settings>system>HDMI settings. You can toggle on or off passthrough for each individual HDMI input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back