Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 21, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #3,076 of 15,986
I expected as much... But I am curious : does the Mobius sound as if it is simulating the presence of live speakers in the room, as the A-16 does, or is it a different experience? In the promotional media, A-16 listeners cannot tell the difference between what they're hearing from their calibrated headphones, and what they're hearing from speakers positioned in the room. I know it is possible for a headphone to simulate 5.1/71 signals without giving the impression that one is listening to actual speakers. Where does the Mobius stand in this range of possibilities?
The experience with the Mobius is different than when using the A16. With the Mobius you are still feeling that you are listening to surround sound speakers but you are not 100% surrounded if i can express myself like that. Don't get me wrong, you still get very capable immersive surround sound, with deep puchy bass, but is not at the level of A16.
And we shouldn't expect that as they are very cheap compared to Realiser.
So they did sound good with 2 channel stereo music, but with 5.1 or 7.1 movies i was very impressed.
Will see if they have 5.1 encoded music samples tomorrow as i will give them a longer listening time, to get used to the sound as best as possible.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #3,077 of 15,986
I expected as much... But I am curious : does the Mobius sound as if it is simulating the presence of live speakers in the room, as the A-16 does, or is it a different experience? In the promotional media, A-16 listeners cannot tell the difference between what they're hearing from their calibrated headphones, and what they're hearing from speakers positioned in the room. I know it is possible for a headphone to simulate 5.1/71 signals without giving the impression that one is listening to actual speakers. Where does the Mobius stand in this range of possibilities?

It's nowhere near that good. It's a closed back headphone that isn't even quite as good as what Dolby Headphone has been doing for over a decade now. It's kind of like if Dolby Headphone for the average person sounded like it was around a 70% approximation (generous estimate) of the same kind of surround field you can get from a true 5.1 or 7.1 setup, this might do 60% - 65%.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...dio-pads-added.534479/page-2654#post-14103688

For those that don't have an STX/DG sound card that also happens to be paired with a decently open sounding pair of headphones though, for an all in one package it should be sufficient for gaming and movies until the A16 is ever released.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #3,079 of 15,986
I have an A16 on order. Having heard it, I have no worry about what I will end-up getting, one day.

I have a Mobius on order. I have not heard it. But based on all comments from people who have heard them, I didn't have any concern of what I was going to get, one day.

Then Sanctuary had to go and say it wont even achieve the Dolby Headphone DSP. ... I've heard that applied by a few sources. And i always hated it. Turn it off after seconds of use.

I sure hope Sanctuary is completely off in his comparison... Someone, talk me down.

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #3,080 of 15,986
I actually linked the source of that information. The only caveat is that the Mobius doesn't have the reverb that seems to permeate Dolby Headphone in some cases. So it might have a better fidelity, but it won't have the same kind of positional audio. Or at least it didn't for the reviewer at the time. I always found the complaints about the reverb to be majorly ironic anyway, at least in regards to movies, when the goal was to get a theater like presentation anyway. Most movie theaters aren't dry sounding.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #3,081 of 15,986
I did read it all. Thank you for it. I read it a while back and was good to read again.

I see. Ya, seems the 'rear positionality' was the critique. Honestly never picked-up any 'rear queues' with dolby headphone with music, but as established, I didnt give it much time. I'll bet the final product has a different 3d presentation anyway.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #3,082 of 15,986
I see. Ya, seems the 'rear positionality' was the critique. Honestly never picked-up any 'rear queues' with dolby headphone with music, but as established, I didnt give it much time. I'll bet the final product has a different 3d presentation anyway.

I actually don't normally either. Usually when any "rear" cues happen, it's with something like a helicopter flying overhead from back to front, or something quickly panning around in 360 degrees. Just recently actually noticed some quite convincing 7.1 with Dolby Headphone while watching Ready Player One. Probably one of the more convincing applications I've heard in a long time too.

The most rear sounding for games and movies aside from that is more like the 5 and 7 positions on a clock, but usually closer to 4 and 8. Occasionally I've heard someone talking behind me, but most of the time those seem like outlier cases and the game or movie simply doesn't have a real rear position, and it's really just the side surrounds.

edit: Music? I have for sure, but it specifically has to be a 5.1 track. Simply trying to use DH with a standard stereo track just makes it sound like Pro Logic mush.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #3,083 of 15,986
Doesn't the Mobius use the same Waves Nx technology as the standalone Waves Nx software, but with headtracking built into the headphones rather than using a separate Bluetooth module or webcam for headtracking? If so, for those curious, there's a free 30 day trial of the PC/Mac app, which is already quite cheap at $10.

Edit: Audeze claims its a "new" hardware implementation. I'll do a comparison when I receive mine.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #3,084 of 15,986
The experience with the Mobius is different than when using the A16. With the Mobius you are still feeling that you are listening to surround sound speakers but you are not 100% surrounded if i can express myself like that. Don't get me wrong, you still get very capable immersive surround sound, with deep puchy bass, but is not at the level of A16.
And we shouldn't expect that as they are very cheap compared to Realiser.
So they did sound good with 2 channel stereo music, but with 5.1 or 7.1 movies i was very impressed.
Will see if they have 5.1 encoded music samples tomorrow as i will give them a longer listening time, to get used to the sound as best as possible.

looking fwd to hear your impressions with 5.1 encoded music samples :)

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #3,087 of 15,986
By Post

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #3,088 of 15,986
Yes, a real letter. Red sticker is not sticked to the letter. I put it there to save the space.

YarraLetter.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back