Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 10, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #16 of 15,986
You are pretty much describing the infamous "single speaker" rotating measurement method for which A8 never got a working firmware, even though Mike promised it's on the works and even told I could get a beta to test out... I hope they will handle A16 support better. :D

The video above from the french distributor seems to imply single speaker calibration for 16 channels is supported in A16 :).

There will be a webinar in the near future, will post update here if I hear new stuff.

Arnaud

May 10, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #17 of 15,986
No mention of price I recall, no other new info than what was posted in the pdf. On the other hand, it would seem like it's in working prototype stage as the 2nd part of video was a guy saying he was bluffed by the virtualisation (both front/rear AND upper channels!).

May 10, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #18 of 15,986
The video above from the french distributor seems to imply single speaker calibration for 16 channels is supported in A16 :).

There will be a webinar in the near future, will post update here if I hear new stuff.

Arnaud

http://smyth-research.com/

"The Realiser A16 will be available in Q1 2017. Estimated street price US$1495"

Thats what i call a pricedrop from the a8. but thats a good thing because otherwise i wouldnt even think about upgrading in regard to the initial expense. I'm wondering about cabled headtracking. The non user-interchangeable battery is a weak point of my beloved a8. love the fact of elevation tracking.  
the functional block diagramm states svs microphone 2-ch input. so it seams we still have personalization through measurements of your own ears.

May 11, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #23 of 15,986
  I second the interest in knowing whether the A16 can output test tones over digital, either optical or HDMI, for input to AVR with modern room equalization. 

I certainly hope so.
It could be useful to a LOT of people (like me), who haven't a High End AVR with 7.1 analog inputs.
Plus the fact that bass management would be taken into the equation... All good.

May 11, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #24 of 15,986
The spec sheet from Smyth refers to "User interface and configuration via web browser". I wonder if they've cracked the problem of access to a high end system. I'm hoping they can send the test tones for the individual speakers on the web and combine the PRIR with the HPEQ calibration. The test tones could be recorded on a dummy head with no ear canals, and played back via your headphones and measured by in ear microphones. The system would probably still retain the ability to measure other physical systems for those lucky enough to have access. I think this is critical if they are to sell in commercial quantities as the number of people with access to something like a 7.4.2 system would be much smaller than those who have 5.1/7.1 systems. here's hoping !!

May 11, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #25 of 15,986
  The spec sheet from Smyth refers to "User interface and configuration via web browser". I wonder if they've cracked the problem of access to a high end system. I'm hoping they can send the test tones for the individual speakers on the web and combine the PRIR with the HPEQ calibration. The test tones could be recorded on a dummy head with no ear canals, and played back via your headphones and measured by in ear microphones. The system would probably still retain the ability to measure other physical systems for those lucky enough to have access. I think this is critical if they are to sell in commercial quantities as the number of people with access to something like a 7.4.2 system would be much smaller than those who have 5.1/7.1 systems. here's hoping !!

Brilliant idea if that's really a feature offered with A16! Slashing price down by 50% and solving the difficultly to access a high end system are the ultimate ingredients for A16 to be sold like hot cakes. 

May 11, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #26 of 15,986
You have to take this headphone stand on-location for speaker/locale presets?
Will such location/speaker presets be made available by Smyth?

Paul

May 11, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #28 of 15,986
Smyth came down to CanJam '08 and we set them up in their own room with a realiser A8 and they also set up a nice speaker rig for comparison. It was easily the most amazing piece of audio gear I've ever heard. Came close to buying it a few times but never pulled the trigger. This new one may be the one I finally buy if it is as good as as the A8.

May 11, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #30 of 15,986

Interesting thoughts. But unfortunately it won't work. The measurement of PRIR has to include the entire chain between the signal driving the speaker and the signal picked in the ear cannel. It can not be done separately as you described. It is because there is no clearly defined "interface" or boundary between the ear and its environment i.e. room...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back