Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 8, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #15,976 of 15,986
I don't understand what you mean. Or is it just that you want to compare virtual speakers with normal headphone stereo?
(That is what the stereo mixdown function is for: produce a normal mixdown to stereo without virtual speakers.
However, to be able to use the stereo mixdown function you have to make sure it is enabled in the listening room that you use.
Go into the listening room, into the submenu 'Configure', check that 'Stereo' is on (green), go into the sub menu under 'Stereo' (by pressing the enter button with the "cursor" on 'Stereo' and check the settings there, every channel should be turned on, and directed to either Lh or Rh or both. I describe it a bit short and fast here, but maybe this is not what you are trying to do anyway. [Edit: and I forgot: av mode should be turned off in the preset settings (second page)])
Thanks @sander99 ... My guess is... He most likely didn't have the Listening Room loading set to "only Atmos"... So the audio was defaulting to a PCM room... Which did not have "Stereo" enabled in the "configure" section of the listening room.

There's a lot of information the animated GIF... And it flashes by rather quickly... Not surprising if something gets missed.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #15,979 of 15,986
That is exactly right. I was trying to listen to those demos with my non-HD800 headphones. I eventually succeeded and indeed my mistake was modifying the atmos room when the sound was played in the PCM room. Now to pick a couple of PRIRs to buy. :)
3D SoundShop Omega. You won’t be sorry.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #15,981 of 15,986
Thanks for both your tips. Omega 96 and Genelec are in my shortlist indeed. D&D didn't gave me a slighly less precise positioning. (I imagine it's because of my headphones or because of my earshapes). I use the realiser only for movies, not for music.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #15,982 of 15,986
I’m curious as to whether anyone here has used a Surround Master to input multichannel to the A16 via the analog inputs. I don’t have an AVR with individual analog inputs, just HDMI, but maybe this would work well for my stereo album collection? I know that Auro3D is a great option too. If the SM sounds good it might spur me to repair my old Sunfire Ultimate AVR, which does have multichannel analog inputs.
I obtained a Surround Master V3 and hooked it up this evening via the line inputs. Works great! I configured a 5.1 PCM listening room with Lb/Rb (my large rears) for Ls/Rs and tried out a number of my stereo albums. Quad conversions using the “Involve” encoder sound very good indeed, and I love being able to trim each channel with a real volume knob. I’m not as wild about “Involve” 5.1. I need to find an SQ-encoded recording that hasn’t been decoded (all of mine that I know of have already been run through a processor) to test the SQ functionality.

I have Auro3D but haven’t used it much. I’ll play with comparing SM to Auro3D. But so far I am happy to report that this application of the line inputs works great. As best I can tell I have to follow the L/R/C/SW/Ls/Rs mapping scheme, i.e, use the 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 inputs in that order. I haven’t stumbled across a way of remapping within the A16 which line input is which, but it was straightforward by disconnecting cables to get the wiring configuration correct. “L” of an L/R cable pair corresponds to the odd input (1, 3, 5).

My AVR doesn’t support 6-channel analog input, unfortunately, so unless I can find an ADC for 6 channels with a S/PDIF or coax output I’ll do all of my listening on headphones.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #15,983 of 15,986
I obtained a Surround Master V3 and hooked it up this evening via the line inputs. Works great! I configured a 5.1 PCM listening room with Lb/Rb (my large rears) for Ls/Rs and tried out a number of my stereo albums. Quad conversions using the “Involve” encoder sound very good indeed, and I love being able to trim each channel with a real volume knob. I’m not as wild about “Involve” 5.1. I need to find an SQ-encoded recording that hasn’t been decoded (all of mine that I know of have already been run through a processor) to test the SQ functionality.

I have Auro3D but haven’t used it much. I’ll play with comparing SM to Auro3D. But so far I am happy to report that this application of the line inputs works great. As best I can tell I have to follow the L/R/C/SW/Ls/Rs mapping scheme, i.e, use the 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 inputs in that order. I haven’t stumbled across a way of remapping within the A16 which line input is which, but it was straightforward by disconnecting cables to get the wiring configuration correct. “L” of an L/R cable pair corresponds to the odd input (1, 3, 5).

My AVR doesn’t support 6-channel analog input, unfortunately, so unless I can find an ADC for 6 channels with a S/PDIF or coax output I’ll do all of my listening on headphones.
You should check out the Dutton Vocalion website. They have 2 SACD’s that might interest you. They are “Sextant” by Herbie Hancock and “Giant Box” by Don Sebesky. For each of these releases there are some tracks for which the original quad tapes no longer existed, so Michael Dutton included those particular tracks in their original SQ format. The tracks are specified on the DV website, as well as on the individual SACD’s. Each disc sells for 12.99 GBP. They are shipped out expeditiously and I have never had an order take more than 15 days to arrive to my door here in Massachusetts.

Apr 11, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #15,984 of 15,986
You should check out the Dutton Vocalion website. They have 2 SACD’s that might interest you. They are “Sextant” by Herbie Hancock and “Giant Box” by Don Sebesky. For each of these releases there are some tracks for which the original quad tapes no longer existed, so Michael Dutton included those particular tracks in their original SQ format. The tracks are specified on the DV website, as well as on the individual SACD’s. Each disc sells for 12.99 GBP. They are shipped out expeditiously and I have never had an order take more than 15 days to arrive to my door here in Massachusetts.
Much appreciated! I also recalled this list of SQ-encoded CDs and found it in a search:

Quad Compact Discs

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #15,986 of 15,986
As someone who uses the A16 primarily for gaming I must say the Auro 3D upmixer with the 3DSoundShop Omega 96 PRIR is exceptionally good, by far my favorite, more than Atmos IMO. I purchased the license a couple of days and I've using it a bit for music, which is also very very good, and for different games like Helldivers 2, CoD MW III, MLB The Show and Battlefield V (This one the audio pfff *Chef's kiss*) it's the first time I've truly experienced dome surround sound with headphones (I still need to play more with HPEQ as sometimes I don't get that out of head experience but I digress). So my point is if you're looking to the A16 for gaming get the Auro 3D license and the Omega 96 from 3DSS.

P.S. The tip someone posted here of putting "Purchase Auro3D license" as subject worked liked magic. James has never replied so quickly lol. Thanks again

1000040702.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back