smsl su-8 dac?
Jun 29, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #346 of 463
I'm having a weird issue with my new SU-8.

There is a high pitched 'ringing' noise/tone that is coming from the display of the SU-8.
It will vary a little depending on brightness and amount of illuminated pixels, but the only way I can get it to stop completely is by turning off the display.

Anyone else have this problem?

Nothing like that my machine, so far.

Shane D

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #347 of 463

There is a high pitched 'ringing' noise/tone that is coming from the display of the SU-8.
It will vary a little depending on brightness and amount of illuminated pixels, but the only way I can get it to stop completely is by turning off the display.

Not with the DAC (mine isn't here yet) but I have a TV that was always picking up electrical signals, likely cell tower signals, and the TV would make all kinds of noises. It was quite loud and very distinct. Oddly enough it has not been doing it for a few months now so a welcome break. Might be completely different causes though, but I thought I would commiserate with you anyway.

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #348 of 463

I had a ringing on my SU-8 the first time I got it and plugged it in. Not sure where the ringing was coming from, but according to others that had the issue, you just have to power off (via the button, don't unplug) and on again after like 20 minutes and the problem completely went away until either you unplugged the unit from the wall, or the power went out. I think we only lost power once in the last 6 months, so I only had to cycle it off/on again one other time since to fix the ringing.

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #349 of 463
I had a ringing on my SU-8 the first time I got it and plugged it in. Not sure where the ringing was coming from, but according to others that had the issue, you just have to power off (via the button, don't unplug) and on again after like 20 minutes and the problem completely went away until either you unplugged the unit from the wall, or the power went out. I think we only lost power once in the last 6 months, so I only had to cycle it off/on again one other time since to fix the ringing.
Holy Schiit!! That totally worked! :astonished::grin:
And I have no idea why. :thinking:
Thanks, bro! :punch:

Jul 5, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #350 of 463
Hello,

Just received my SU-8 unit. It's a very nice DAC as many in here already have posted.

I've got an issue though, a weird one.
My chain is Shanling M3s [USB_port] ---> SMSL SU-8 [XLR_ports] ---> LOXJIE P20 [XLR_port] ---> HD6xx hp

Flac files have no problem, except I have to set the volume level quite high on all three units. Didn't anticipated this.
M3s at least at 70 (ranges from 0 to 100)
SU-8 at max or close to it;
P20 at max or close to it (ranges from -60 to 0)

DSD files are a Russian roulette.
If M3s outputs DSD as native, depending on the files I get noise at a painful deafening level!! And if I change the DAP to output DSD as D2P, de SU-8 detects lower bit rates and plays correctly.
If M3s outputs DSD as DoP, depending on the files I get nothing at all (silence).

Has anyone experienced something along these lines?

I'm planning to transition my source from my DAP into my PC, with foobar2k & WASAPI probably.

All help and hints appreciated.
Thanks

Jul 6, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #351 of 463
there are 24 pages in this thread, so forgive me if this has been addressed.

i normally use my su-8 with my foobar, cca and bubbleupnp rig, so by default, i am mostly using toslink input to rca out. the dac switches resolution instantly, depending on input.

i tried running it from my laptop, via usb, and it is fixed on 44.1, regardless of source. i downloaded the driver (xmos) that came from the website. from there, in windows settings), i have the option to switch it all the way to 32 ibt, 192k.

but when changing files on the fly, the resolution stays fixed. foobar is set to allow the signal to automatically change (same in windows), but it doesn't happen.

anyone familiar with this issue? i mostly have 16/44 tunes ripped to flac on my server, but do have quite a few 24/96, and a couple 24/192 albums.

thanks

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #352 of 463

i normally use my su-8 with my foobar, cca and bubbleupnp rig, so by default, i am mostly using toslink input to rca out. the dac switches resolution instantly, depending on input.

i tried running it from my laptop, via usb, and it is fixed on 44.1, regardless of source. i downloaded the driver (xmos) that came from the website. from there, in windows settings), i have the option to switch it all the way to 32 ibt, 192k.

but when changing files on the fly, the resolution stays fixed. foobar is set to allow the signal to automatically change (same in windows), but it doesn't happen.

anyone familiar with this issue? i mostly have 16/44 tunes ripped to flac on my server, but do have quite a few 24/96, and a couple 24/192 albums.

thanks
I'm also trying to feed my DAC from may PC's Foobar2000. I'm aware this is not literally the answer you're looking for, but I hope it helps somewhat.
Been looking thru the web, and found these:

https://headphoneaddict.com/howto-run-bit-perfect-foobar-tutorial/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #353 of 463

thanks
Do you have the Foobar ASIO components installed? It allows the SU-8 to shift and display various bit rates properly.

When installed with the SU-8 driver the selection in Foobar should look like:

ASIO: USB DAC ASIO

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #355 of 463
You can not use digital volume on DSD files without a pcm conversion. Try having all the volume controls at 100% and use the LOXJIE P20 to control the volume.

Hello,

Just received my SU-8 unit. It's a very nice DAC as many in here already have posted.

I've got an issue though, a weird one.
My chain is Shanling M3s [USB_port] ---> SMSL SU-8 [XLR_ports] ---> LOXJIE P20 [XLR_port] ---> HD6xx hp

Flac files have no problem, except I have to set the volume level quite high on all three units. Didn't anticipated this.
M3s at least at 70 (ranges from 0 to 100)
SU-8 at max or close to it;
P20 at max or close to it (ranges from -60 to 0)

DSD files are a Russian roulette.
If M3s outputs DSD as native, depending on the files I get noise at a painful deafening level!! And if I change the DAP to output DSD as D2P, de SU-8 detects lower bit rates and plays correctly.
If M3s outputs DSD as DoP, depending on the files I get nothing at all (silence).

Has anyone experienced something along these lines?

I'm planning to transition my source from my DAP into my PC, with foobar2k & WASAPI probably.

All help and hints appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #357 of 463
My SU-8 arrived about 3 days ago and I have been using it as much as possible. Certainly it is as advertised here and elsewhere. I actually didn't expect to hear such a clear difference between it and the iFi iOne which I have been using for a few years now. I guess the Burr Brown implementation in the iFi sounds warmer and musical. I actually really like the extra level of detail extraction and presentation of the SU-8. This is the first Sabre based DAC I have had in years, so far more enjoyable than I expected as I do tend to like a little warmth. Why it is really working in my two channel (and often headphone) system is that my NAD M3 and KEF R300 are both slightly warm so they do get a wake up call from the SU-8.

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #358 of 463
My SU-8 arrived about 3 days ago and I have been using it as much as possible. Certainly it is as advertised here and elsewhere. I actually didn't expect to hear such a clear difference between it and the iFi iOne which I have been using for a few years now. I guess the Burr Brown implementation in the iFi sounds warmer and musical. I actually really like the extra level of detail extraction and presentation of the SU-8. This is the first Sabre based DAC I have had in years, so far more enjoyable than I expected as I do tend to like a little warmth. Why it is really working in my two channel (and often headphone) system is that my NAD M3 and KEF R300 are both slightly warm so they do get a wake up call from the SU-8.
I've enjoyed the SU-8; like others I bought the SU-8 not only for the DAC technology but for the balanced output to run to my THX AAA™ 789. Now that my Airist Audio R-2R DAC finally got delivered I too have been switching back and forth between the two, and I am finding I like the warmer less sterile sound of the R-2R.

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #359 of 463
I've enjoyed the SU-8; like others I bought the SU-8 not only for the DAC technology but for the balanced output to run to my THX AAA™ 789. Now that my Airist Audio R-2R DAC finally got delivered I too have been switching back and forth between the two, and I am finding I like the warmer less sterile sound of the R-2R.
I can see that, as I said over the years I have steadily moved away from a preference for detail to warm and musical. I am not finding the SU-8 sterile, just more detailed, but I have had the warmer presentation for a few years so the novelty of some more detail is nice. I also have the FiiO Q5 with it's excellent AKM DAC chip implementation to flip around with so both bases still covered. I gave my brother my iOne as he really needed a Bluetooth DAC.

Jul 15, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #360 of 463
I purchased a Loxjie P20 a while back thinking maybe someday I'd try balanced, my question is after just purchasing the SU-8 and some balanced cables to feed the Loxjie amp will I get the "full effect" of balanced using my current crop of hp's? Do I have to go balanced cables out to my cans?
I don't have anything with balanced cables as yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back