smsl su-8 dac?
Jul 15, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #376 of 463
Jul 15, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #377 of 463
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #378 of 463
How good is this DAC compared to the onboard of a Jotunehim or topping D10/30 and is v1 as bad as ASR mentions or is that undetectable to human hearing? I know he still approved it as a good DAC.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #379 of 463
Hey guys just got this DAC in and I have balanced cables from the SU-8 to my Loxjie P20, I'm feeding the SU-8 with an optical cable from my Oppo. No sound? I have the input set to optical but still no sound. I don't have any balanced cabled hp's at this time so listening (or not) to my Superlux EVO.
Any idea's before I pack it up?

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #380 of 463
Also threw some regular RCA's between the DAC and amp just in case...still nadda

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #381 of 463
Hey guys just got this DAC in and I have balanced cables from the SU-8 to my Loxjie P20, I'm feeding the SU-8 with an optical cable from my Oppo. No sound? I have the input set to optical but still no sound. I don't have any balanced cabled hp's at this time so listening (or not) to my Superlux EVO.
Any idea's before I pack it up?

Can you try out a USB cable to see if it works?

Shane D

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #382 of 463
Also threw some regular RCA's between the DAC and amp just in case...still nadda

Did you set the inputs and outputs on your amp?

Shane D

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #383 of 463
Shane I love you...

Jul 16, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #384 of 463
Jul 16, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #385 of 463
So very nice, listening to some Tingstad & Rumbel on Paradise and track 4 & 12 were just amazing. I tried cycling through some of the sound options but can't do it yet, my brain is still analyzing the DAC and trying to detect any and all sonic differences. I would say that it did make a positive move in sound quality. There is just a sense of ease to the music and a slight improvement in overall clarity. Way too early but so far a thumbs up from this old audiophile.
BTW the Loxjie gets pretty warm and is sitting on the smsl any problems with that?

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #386 of 463
So very nice, listening to some Tingstad & Rumbel on Paradise and track 4 & 12 were just amazing. I tried cycling through some of the sound options but can't do it yet, my brain is still analyzing the DAC and trying to detect any and all sonic differences. I would say that it did make a positive move in sound quality. There is just a sense of ease to the music and a slight improvement in overall clarity. Way too early but so far a thumbs up from this old audiophile.
BTW the Loxjie gets pretty warm and is sitting on the smsl any problems with that?

None of my stuff gets hot, but a few pieces do get warm.
I decided I didn't really want to stack items so I spent several hours this weekend cruising shelving options on the net.
Decided on the attached pic. It is two units which I will stack. $40.00 Canadian for both.

Shane D tables.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #387 of 463
As an aging audiophile (51) I can see how the somewhat illuminated sound signature of the SU-8 might appeal to those of us who are losing our hearing acuity for the upper frequencies. My hearing I believe is still decent to good in that area and for me the SU-8's brighter presentation (versus the FiiO Q5 or iFi iOne) helps my slightly warmer speaker rig (KEF R300/REL T Zeros with a NAD M3) sound a little more lively where previously they could be a little mellow.

For headphones the jury is out for me, but I may prefer the Q5 which I feel presents lower frequencies with more aplomb. That is my one initial and so far lasting impression, that the lower frequencies via the SU-8 are slightly less prominent. It could of course also be a partial masking effect of the higher frequencies being spot lit a little more. In either case I really like this DAC.

Jul 17, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #388 of 463
The only headphones I tried with the SU-8 are the Superlux EVO's which everyone knows are bassy and my Beyer DT990. They both sounded surprisingly good! I found the different sound signatures of the SU-8 were much easier to detect with the Beyers though and neither lacked low end but the 990 also accentuates bass so this could be a byproduct of the hp's I tried.
I really enjoyed listening to this DAC last night and need to spend some serious time with it and its features before passing on a final opinion. I also need to figure out how to get some hp's in that balanced output jack...
Rather that re-cabling the Beyers or ordering a new cable for my HE400i I wonder how the adapters work?? It would be nice to use an adapter that way I could try any of my hp's. If anyone has any input please respond.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #389 of 463
Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #390 of 463
Been doing so since February with no issues. I'm in Hawaii without AC so it's typically 75-90F in that room. Hugo 2 craps out all the time now that it's summer, but the other 2 seem to be fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back