SMSL M400 MQA DAC
Sep 6, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #46 of 124
I ran into an odd issue with my brand new M400. As background, I have the M400 connected via USB to my Mac and Monoprice THX headphone amp with Hifiman Arya headphones. I had the M400 configured for fixed volume pre-out (80). For 99% of my FLAC tracks, this was perfect. However, at least two tracks (MS MR "All the things lost" and The Chainsmokers "Sick boy") there was VERY noticeable distortion for the kick drums (?). It's like something was being significantly over driven. I took the M400 out of pre-mode and reduced the volume to 60, and boosted the gain and volume on my Monoprice amp and the distortion completely went away.

To me this points to some issue in the M400?

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #48 of 124
I ran into an odd issue with my brand new M400. As background, I have the M400 connected via USB to my Mac and Monoprice THX headphone amp with Hifiman Arya headphones. I had the M400 configured for fixed volume pre-out (80). For 99% of my FLAC tracks, this was perfect. However, at least two tracks (MS MR "All the things lost" and The Chainsmokers "Sick boy") there was VERY noticeable distortion for the kick drums (?). It's like something was being significantly over driven. I took the M400 out of pre-mode and reduced the volume to 60, and boosted the gain and volume on my Monoprice amp and the distortion completely went away.

To me this points to some issue in the M400?
This is normal. As far as I know, the input of Monoprice THX is ADC, and it cannot accept 100% of the M400 input voltage, so it is correct to reduce it and input it to Monoprice THX!

S.M.S.L Stay updated on S.M.S.L at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/S.M.S.LOfficiaI https://twitter.com/SMSL_Official http://www.smsl-audio.com/ smsl_mandy@126.com
Sep 27, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #50 of 124
I have been playing with M400 for a few days. I do like it.

This dac is quite clean sounding and, unlike many new modern dac, the treble seems to be not emphasized. The overall sound is a bit flat if compare to good vintage good R2R dac (PCM 63) but this problem is also common for most modern dacs I have listened to, regardless of price.

I would say this dac is an all rounder and great for no fuzz daily listening.

One thing that kind of bother me is the big screen that cannot be shut off. Late at night, I usually listen with all lights off. Then I will need to block the screen to avoid the glow. I wish the screen can be turned off or changed to just a small dim dot. (Some may find the knob or remote a bit flimsy. Yet, for what is and how it is priced, I cannot complain.)

Sep 27, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #51 of 124
I have been playing with M400 for a few days. I do like it.

This dac is quite clean sounding and, unlike many new modern dac, the treble seems to be not emphasized. The overall sound is a bit flat if compare to good vintage good R2R dac (PCM 63) but this problem is also common for most modern dacs I have listened to, regardless of price.

I would say this dac is an all rounder and great for no fuzz daily listening.

One thing that kind of bother me is the big screen that cannot be shut off. Late at night, I usually listen with all lights off. Then I will need to block the screen to avoid the glow. I wish the screen can be turned off or changed to just a small dim dot. (Some may find the knob or remote a bit flimsy. Yet, for what is and how it is priced, I cannot complain.)

What amp are you using the M400 with? Do you get any clipping when in fixed volume mode?

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #52 of 124
@smsl mandy what happened to the matching SP400 amp that was supposed to be released back in July? Any update on that?

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #53 of 124
What amp are you using the M400 with? Do you get any clipping when in fixed volume mode?
My setup is kind of complicated. I feed the fix into a 600:600 interstage transformer and then to a potentiometer (general radio 1450ta) before going into a digital crossover.

I would assume clipping may happen if the pre does not hv enough headroom for such unusually high output. Adding a potentiometer (volume pot) should solve. (I prefer attentuating with volume pot than doing it digitally.)

Oct 31, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #55 of 124
I've had this DAC for a few months. I'm not good at doing reviews but I still wanted to have my say.
I have read on this dac that most reviewers give it very detailed, balanced throughout the range, perhaps I would say "cynical", soulless, therefore a bit cold.
Well, I have paired it with in IFI ICAN PRO and I must say that I am very satisfied with it.
I listen to it at the moment with some Klipsh HP-3. Actually I find that the DAc is a bit cold, I would say flat, but I confirm that the whole range appears very detailed and without any background noise.
However, since on the IFI I have the possibility of listening in tube, or if necessary I can emphasize the low frequencies, I have numerous possibilities of listening settings.
So depending on my mood and the musical genre, I can listen to a dry, clean and detailed sound, or a warm, relaxing sound, I would say "analog" while always maintaining an excellent listening quality.
Well, I don't know if I have explained myself well, but I wanted to say that also in my opinion the choice of the amplifier to be coupled to this DAC must be very careful.
If you find the right match, it can give you great satisfaction.

Nov 9, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #56 of 124
I got clipping when my M400 was set to fixed volume mode with my Monoprice THX 887 amp. I had to turn down the M400 to about 60 to prevent clipping. However, I can run the M400 at full volume with the Topping A90.
I am looking for A90 owner who send using M400 instead of D90 what are the pros and cons, I heard D90 is very flat and boring compared to M400. What's your experience on m400 pairing with A90

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #57 of 124
I am looking for A90 owner who send using M400 instead of D90 what are the pros and cons, I heard D90 is very flat and boring compared to M400. What's your experience on m400 pairing with A90

I have both plus the A90. I seriously doubt you'll hear any meaningful difference between the two DACs. D90 is slightly better featured with the option to control the LO separately between SE and balanced. The downside is it runs a lot warmer than the M400. If you're in a tight space where heat is an issue, get the SMSL.

Both DACs measure extremely well and looking for a sound difference between the two is pretty silly IMO.

My advise, get a matching set. If you already own the A90 then get the D90. If own the M400, then wait fir the SP400 to be released. Both SMSL and Topping are great. They're comparable in every way and a direct competitor. Not sure why anyone would mix the two and not get a matching set is beyond me.

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #58 of 124
I have both plus the A90. I seriously doubt you'll hear any meaningful difference between the two DACs. D90 is slightly better featured with the option to control the LO separately between SE and balanced. The downside is it runs a lot warmer than the M400. If you're in a tight space where heat is an issue, get the SMSL.

Both DACs measure extremely well and looking for a sound difference between the two is pretty silly IMO.

My advise, get a matching set. If you already own the A90 then get the D90. If own the M400, then wait fir the SP400 to be released. Both SMSL and Topping are great. They're comparable in every way and a direct competitor. Not sure why anyone would mix the two and not get a matching set is beyond me.

Do you own any other DACs to compare to these two? I am in the market for a DAC around this price range and the D90 and M400 pops up a lot as well as the Gustard offerings.

Nov 9, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #59 of 124
Do you own any other DACs to compare to these two? I am in the market for a DAC around this price range and the D90 and M400 pops up a lot as well as the Gustard offerings.

I have both. M400 has a slightly wider soundstage but D90 has slightly (really very very slightly) better clarity for micro-details. I kept the M400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back