SMSL M400 MQA DAC
Nov 11, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #77 of 124
I've just found their Chinese manual and it shows a graphic of MQA with 352. So I can only assume it isn't decoding anything on your DAC because the first unfold isn't done by software? Is so this is VERY disappointing, and something major people are missing with this unit.

Nov 11, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #78 of 124
M400 can work from Linux with MQA File By USB connection.
You can import the song into roon and see what the MQA bit rate is, then what is the bit rate after M400 full decoding that appear on the M400.
QQ截图20201111175112.png

S.M.S.L Stay updated on S.M.S.L at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/S.M.S.LOfficiaI https://twitter.com/SMSL_Official http://www.smsl-audio.com/ smsl_mandy@126.com
Nov 13, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #80 of 124
Before I jump in, let me say I am not answering the mqa question.

I have a m400. It's ok for what it is. Yet, I would not go crazy with mqa or DSD or high res stuff in general. I always ask my friend to try to set computer output to 44.1hz and highest bit value permitted and compare it to higher res that they maybe chasing. Over half of the time, friends would find 44.1k more natural and stick with it from then on.

Nov 14, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #81 of 124
Before I jump in, let me say I am not answering the mqa question.

I have a m400. It's ok for what it is. Yet, I would not go crazy with mqa or DSD or high res stuff in general. I always ask my friend to try to set computer output to 44.1hz and highest bit value permitted and compare it to higher res that they maybe chasing. Over half of the time, friends would find 44.1k more natural and stick with it from then on.

For me there is a clear difference between 44 and 96, it all depends on the person as you say, and speakers of course.

Nov 14, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #82 of 124
Sorry if I intrude.
My M400 correctly decodes the MQA or DSD files I have on the disk and I use Daphile.
Unfortunately the music through Tidal, even if MQA (I have master subscription) The M400 always sees them as 44.1 files.
Maybe I need to set some settings in Daphile?

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #84 of 124
Have you tried downloading an MQA encoded file from Tidal to see if it works that way? Would then rule out Daphile.

My M400 should be here next week and I'll also try out Daphile
I thought about it but I can only download it on a tablet or mobile phone for offline listening. I can't then feed it to Daphile on the PC.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #86 of 124
Dec 13, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #87 of 124
I was eagerly waiting for the 6-Moons review of the M400. But it took so long I almost lost interest (I decided for a similarly priced R2R DAC since I prefer soundquality over convenience and I won't be using MQA in the foreseeable future). But now the review is up!

As expected it is a thorough review that inspires confidence (unlike some 'influencer' 'reviews' I often see on YouTube etc and of course the useless dribble on ASR; "it measures perfect so it can't sound anything but perfect. Right?" Wrong). Good reading, but a bit late. Only there was a reason for it, and there was a pleasant surprise. The review included the DP5 network streamer. Now this again peaked my interest! (again, don't read the 'review' on ASR because it's a total letdown, it's not even a review because Amir simply refused to put any effort in it because of his own bias. Totally disqualifying himself there).

What interests me about the DP5 is that i can attach my 2TB harddisk (I don't have NAS), SD, BT, proper display, Hiby-link.. all things the Denafrips has not. It a great companion music server for me, and it has the same size and rounding edges of my amp. Only why it has its own dac is not clear to me if its meant as a companion to the M400 and the amp. Why not cut $100 off the price.
I rediscovered my HD full of music when I installed my new android tv. Lots of fun with Kodi and visualizations, menus for selecting music etc. But Android TV only does 16/48 max output. With the DP5 I regain HR output (1/3 of the files is 24/96). I don't do streaming yet, but i might consider Tidal (MQA). It looks like an almost ideal server to me. The $600 price is within range of most people.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #89 of 124
sooo I ended up not buying the M400... But the DP5! I had an appointment to show some dacs to a friend and just when I had my coat on someone was hammering on my door. 'Package for you'. Huh? Ok. Put it down, and go.

After a nice listen at his system and selling him my 'old' ES9038Q2M I returned home. I forgot all about the package. It said 'Amazon Prime' video this and that. I never order on Amazon. Very light package. Strange. Scam? I ordered the DP5 new years eve on Aliexpress, now januari 5th no other orders pending. So what can it be? Very suspicious I decided to open the package anyway. And to my surprise it was the DP5! Wow. No Chinese markings and no tax value stickets. So I guess local mailorder.

It's not a simple plug in power and go device. I only put in a sd-card so far, did music db update, some adjustments, started up Hiby client and go. Works. Tried headphones, works. Inserted Hidizs AP80 pro dap via usb and it works like a dac. The sound via rca out is just like the ES9038-Q2m dac I just sold. The remote didn't work at first but that's because I'm a guy. Guys don't read the manual (PRESS B at first use! Duh. It works now).

It looks very nice, good finish, plenty of input/output options. Nice screen, not too small. Interface is familiar if you know Hiby (only no MSEB so far). Sound over coax to Ares II is very good. Next up was adding my 2TB disk. And plug... and play.

This might be off topic for the M400 but I'm glad I chose the DP5 instead. I'm impressed. A very good companion to the M400.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #90 of 124
I thought about it but I can only download it on a tablet or mobile phone for offline listening. I can't then feed it to Daphile on the PC.
Solved, it was enough to set "only if native" and now it signals me MQA (green or blue).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back