SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Apr 29, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #391 of 544
sorry for asking some stupid question.

did its works with xiaomi mi5s plus (type c)

i ask this because my friend try fiio k1 using mi6 (type c) and its didnt works
and i try (by my self) using a fiio q1 mk2 and its works but its hard for connect them like always failed couple times

It works with my Mi5 with the caveat that I have to put the music on play before I plug it in. Other than that it works fine.

I had trouble with my Fiio and a previous Xiaomi the Mi4i.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #392 of 544
Anyone here downgraded the firmware to 1.1 on the Da2? I did it because the popping sound was driving me nuts when I used it on my phone. Every time I need to reinsert a couple of times before I could use.

After downgrading the popping sound has gone away. BUT the DA2 LED now does not change colors anymore. It just stays blue whether I'm playing a 16bit flac or a DSD file. I'm still getting sound from the iems that are plugged into the DAC, but I don't know if DSD is actually playing anymore or being downsampled. Anyone else experienced the same?

May 4, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #393 of 544
Sorry I wouldn't know because I didn't downgrade the firmware. The software support for the device is a bit abysmal though. It's sad that SMSL remains so quiet about it and seems to have dropped support for it rather than trying to make it more compatible.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #394 of 544
Whenever I'm listening to some song through a sensitive IEM and I pause it I can hear a low background noise which remains for 5-10secs then the noise disappears. Is it normal?

May 14, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #395 of 544
Whenever I'm listening to some song through a sensitive IEM and I pause it I can hear a low background noise which remains for 5-10secs then the noise disappears. Is it normal?

That does not sound normal.
Can you try through a different usb port?
Also, is it volume sensitive? i.e. does the noise get louder/quieter with volume increase/decrease?

May 14, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #396 of 544
That does not sound normal.
Can you try through a different usb port?
Also, is it volume sensitive? i.e. does the noise get louder/quieter with volume increase/decrease?

Oh... I figured out the problem, I remember I've changed in the XMOS driver the option Reliable to Standard at "USB Streaming Mode" but now changing back to "Reliable" this noise problem is gone. Hopefully, it was just that! Thank you!

May 27, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #400 of 544
I have the smsl idea working great coming from the back port of my computer, but weird thing is the xmos control panel says no devices connected so i cant adjust the usb streaming mode or anything else if there even is anything else XD cause i wouldnt know. Its version 4.38

Update: Fixed issue, just had too reinstall the driver then restart cpu. All good.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #401 of 544
Also, for those of you looking for a surround system/equalizer that works with the smsl idea i use the Razer surround pro through Razer synapse which allows adjustments in bass boost, voice clarity, stereo enhancement and a full range equalizer. Very nice for those that wish too be able too control bass and voice forwardness and voice volume level increase each from 1-100%. Is a godsend really(thank you Razer <3). If you have bought 1 Razer product its free, if not I think there is a small charge, not sure as i bought a razer keyboard. It allows you too choose the playback device(high def audio advice, smsl usb dac, digital audio etc) in the surround pro settings, very simple. Enjoy

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #402 of 544
I’m trying to use it with my IPhone8 with the camera adapter and it says too much power.
I know that when I connect it too the front port of my computer it says surge and needs more power. The back ports provide more power and work great, got a 3 foot extension chord cause the headphone cable aint long enough. Its 6 bucks free shipping on ebay. Not sure about your iphone but droid works great(just know you need to play some music or something before plugging in the smsl too your droid or it makes buzz sound through earbuds, i dont mind at all). I also use it too power 2 average desktop speakers and it does great, hUUUUGE(Trump wall) improvement over the computer dac/amp(and its a pretty nice hp pavilion hpe i7 tower) at higher volume levels, much less distortion.
Never have had 1 single issue with this smsl idea in months of use. Very small/slender, solid physical connection on both sides that doesnt come undone by accident(unless I suppose you give a real good tug).
Couldnt imagine you could get better for 85 dollars, this is my first dac and amp and couldnt be more satisfied.
3 Ft Feet SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to A Female Extension Cable on ebay

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #403 of 544
Hello, I am currently looking at the SMSL Idea to use with my HTC 10, I like the price and from what I am hearing, it sounds better than the AQ Dragonfly Red? I have used a Fiio Q5 before and was seriously impressed with what I heard but price is a bit high and I am on budget. If anyone has experience with the HTC 10 and the SMSL idea could you let me know how it's going for you please :). I am also up for other options though as long that it doesn't break the bank. If there is something that has better sq than the SMSL idea for a great price i'd try it. I'd be using my Oriveti New Primacy with a Effect Audio Ares ii cable. I have owned a Fiio Q1 MKii, so if the SMSL idea is a upgrade with the dac and sq. Then it is a no brainer :D

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #404 of 544
How do the DAC and amp components (individiually) of the SMSL IDEA/Sabaj Da2 compare to the Fiio E10K?

Is the DAC on the SMSL IDEA better than the Fiio E10K? Is the amp less powerful? I think the amp is less powerful for sure.

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #405 of 544
How do the DAC and amp components (individiually) of the SMSL IDEA/Sabaj Da2 compare to the Fiio E10K?

Is the DAC on the SMSL IDEA better than the Fiio E10K? Is the amp less powerful? I think the amp is less powerful for sure.
Dac section of the SMSL is more modern and much cleaner, the amp section is weak. Good for iems and some easy to drive on-ears, FiiO wins there clearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back